General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Whats a Throttle Chamber?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 07:17 AM

Whats a Throttle Chamber?

I just brought in my car to nissan dealership again for an idle problem i've had before. My car rpm moves while im idling. The first time i brought it in for this problem they just adjusted the idle setting but the problem came back. This time they said that somebody who previously owned my car tampered with my throttle chamber and I needed to replace it. What is a throttle chamber? Is it the same thing as your throttle body? Can anybody shed some light on this for me and where would I be able to buy this part on my own .. any part number? The dealership wants $783 to fix this problem and frankly I dont have that kinda cash laying around. By any chance do any of u guys know if this part is under the normal warranty or not? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Go find yourself another dealer to service your car. There ripping you a new a$$hole. You can adjust the throttle body back to factory specs. Even the Haynes manual tells you how to do this. Idle problems are pretty simple to fix. Clean the throttle body, adjust it and if that doesn't work, remove and clean the IACV. All of this is just labor which can be done by any DIY mechanic. The cost is a can of air intake cleaner, about 8 bucks.

To adjust the throttle body, you disconnect the throttle position sensor, adjust the stop screw on the throttle body to set idle speed at approx, 750. Reconnect throttle position sensor and your set. Make sure your car is off when you disconnect and reconnect that sensor.

If the idle still doesn't clear up, the IACV is probably in need of a cleaning. Like I said before, all this is very easy to do.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:18 AM

So i wouldnt need to purchase an new throttle chamber?
Old 04-03-2002, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DEFINITELY NOT. Well, unless a wrench somehow got past your air filter and flew at hi velocity into the throttle body.

And it's a throttle body

DW

Originally posted by Larcenist
So i wouldnt need to purchase an new throttle chamber?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:29 AM

Yeah, i think they're trying to rip me off. Anybody in the MD area.. I suggest not takign ur car to VOB Nissan on Rockville Pike. They seem shaddy. The throttle body/chamber can't be tampered with can it? Theres nothing there to really break or mess up is there?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:46 AM

This is our throttle body;

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...y_cleaning.htm

In fact, you should clean your throttle body as those instructions show you. It will probably get rid of your un-stable idle.

You should bookmark motorvate.ca's site. It's awesome.

He's actually a member on this forum, MaxVQ I think.

As for your calling it a throttle chamber, perhaps I was a bit harsh in correcting, forcing the american name of it. Are you English?? If so, then shouldn't it be called a throttle chambre?

DW

Yeah, i think they're trying to rip me off. Anybody in the MD area.. I suggest not takign ur car to VOB Nissan on Rockville Pike. They seem shaddy. The throttle body/chamber can't be tampered with can it? Theres nothing there to really break or mess up is there?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:59 AM

I'm not really the one calling it throttle chamber .. the dealership i took my car to keeps saying throttle chamber and it really confused the hell out of me. B/c when i asked if it was the same as the throttle body they said no.. but then again the part number they gave me for the "throttle chamber" was indeed the part number for the throttle body. So i guess its the same but they just didnt know wut htey were talking about
Old 04-03-2002, 11:52 AM

So i guess its the same but they just didnt know wut htey were talking about
That could be very likely. It has happened on here before.

SuDZ
Old 04-03-2002, 03:26 PM

I HATE FRIGGIN" DEALERS!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:55 AM

Engine light came on after throttle cleaning...

Ok, I decided to take my car to a shell auto shop to get a BG service done... it includes a fuel injector cleanning service and a throttle body cleanning. I heard its easy to do both, but im a bit too lazy and dont really have any time to clean my throttle body. By the time I get off of work its dark out so.. i paid them to do it for me. Anyways it seemed to have cleared up my idle problem, but after they finish the service my service engine soon light came on. Is this normal after a throttle body cleanning? I drove to work and it still hasn't cleared up yet. Any ideas wut this might be? The mechanic at shell said it might be my 02 sensor, but he wasnt' too sure and that I had to come back on the 20th when this other mechanic would be back from vaction for them to look at wuts really the cause of the light coming on.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Go find yourself another dealer to service your car. There ripping you a new a$$hole. You can adjust the throttle body back to factory specs. Even the Haynes manual tells you how to do this. Idle problems are pretty simple to fix. Clean the throttle body, adjust it and if that doesn't work, remove and clean the IACV. All of this is just labor which can be done by any DIY mechanic. The cost is a can of air intake cleaner, about 8 bucks.

To adjust the throttle body, you disconnect the throttle position sensor, adjust the stop screw on the throttle body to set idle speed at approx, 750. Reconnect throttle position sensor and your set. Make sure your car is off when you disconnect and reconnect that sensor.

If the idle still doesn't clear up, the IACV is probably in need of a cleaning. Like I said before, all this is very easy to do.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
This is our throttle body;

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...y_cleaning.htm

In fact, you should clean your throttle body as those instructions show you. It will probably get rid of your un-stable idle.

You should bookmark motorvate.ca's site. It's awesome.

He's actually a member on this forum, MaxVQ I think.

Hmm, he calls that big black box an oil separator; I though it was a resonator. If it's a resonator, it's to minimize sound, but if it's an oil separator, then it has some function for the engine oil fumes. I'm assuming that most of the crud that gets on the intake comes from the valve cover hose. So, our choice is run the stock line and get oily residue in our intakes, or put on a filter and clean the engine bay. Maybe the solution would be to run a long hose so the residue goes under the car, away from everything else.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:28 AM

Yeah, it must be a resonator. If it was for oil, the only place the oil could go is back into the engine via the intake.

DW

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

Hmm, he calls that big black box an oil separator; I though it was a resonator. If it's a resonator, it's to minimize sound, but if it's an oil separator, then it has some function for the engine oil fumes. I'm assuming that most of the crud that gets on the intake comes from the valve cover hose. So, our choice is run the stock line and get oily residue in our intakes, or put on a filter and clean the engine bay. Maybe the solution would be to run a long hose so the residue goes under the car, away from everything else.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:40 AM

resonator

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Yeah, it must be a resonator. If it was for oil, the only place the oil could go is back into the engine via the intake
Well, that is exactly what happens. The vent hose is to allow escape of vapors from the hot oil. Those are going back into the intake, creating throttle body residue. That's the best reason I can see to to use a separate breather filter there instead of the stock routing, though some folks probably are just doing it for show.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:55 AM

It will go off by itself

Your mechanic should have done this for you. But, you can wait a week or so and it will probably go off by itself, assuming this is a result of the MAF sensor being disconnected. Mine did the same thing and I just waited, and it went off. If it is from something else, I don't know what will happen. Could go off, mebbe not.

Finally, if you want to learn how to read the computer codes and reset the computer yourself, do a search. There is *lots* of discussion regarding how to do this.

Where are you from dude? Doesn't seem like anyone out your way knows what they're doing when it comes to repairs
Old 04-04-2002, 11:55 AM

Re: It will go off by itself

Yeah, hopefully the light will go off soon and there isn't anything to worry about. Like more repairs. ahhh.... anyways, im located in Maryland. I haven't been able to find a good auto shop in my area yet. I remember asking if anybody in the MD area knew of a good repair shop but i didnt get no real response. I'll keep on asking until i find one or keeping going to different ones until i find a decent one i guess.

Originally posted by emoore924
Your mechanic should have done this for you. But, you can wait a week or so and it will probably go off by itself, assuming this is a result of the MAF sensor being disconnected. Mine did the same thing and I just waited, and it went off. If it is from something else, I don't know what will happen. Could go off, mebbe not.

Finally, if you want to learn how to read the computer codes and reset the computer yourself, do a search. There is *lots* of discussion regarding how to do this.

Where are you from dude? Doesn't seem like anyone out your way knows what they're doing when it comes to repairs