General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Well, it only took my "new" tranny 15 days to die...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 11:25 PM

And again, it left me stranded today. Thank good ness I was only about 5 miles from the house when it started acting up, so I was able to make it back. Still, it's quite infuriating.

We're limping the car back over the shop who's been doing all this crappy work, simply because we've got a big case should they put up a fight about it.

It just really sucks, for the past few months, my cars only been on the street for about half the time becauese it's been running through trannies like crazy.

Anybody want to donate a 5spd tranny that I can swap in?
Old 09-01-2000, 11:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Jason. Make this guy a deal->

for all the time this rookie mechanic has spent on your car, there's no way he's making ANY $$ on this deal anymore. Probably from here on in, he's LOSING money, so he probably wants you out of his hair asap. So ask him if he would pay 3/4 or all of a full performance rebuild on another maxima tranny. ie.. TC and VB upgrades. Offer to have another shop do it and tell him you won't hold him liable for anymore warranty issues. You would address the new shop for that. I can't really see an ending here unless this guys suddenly finds something he has been overlooking the last 5 times he's looked at it. Frustrating!!!

Or how about refunding your $$, after all, your tranny is in NO better condition than when he first started. He might refund you just to get you out of his hair.
Old 09-02-2000, 12:01 AM

Oh, you have no idea....

This is so weird.

He was recommended to me by our mechanic, a very good, very reputable guy. His name is Ben. Ben worked with JR (the tranny mechanic), when they were both working for Nissan here in Atlanta. Ben worked in the service dept at a dealer, JR was the head of all the Atlanta dealer service dept's, so this guy should know his stuff. They both left and starte their own places.

Anyways....JR does Maxima work all the time. I usually see another Maxima when I'm there. I called and talk to the building owner today (JR wasn't in), and he said there was actually a Maxima on the lift as we spoke that they were finishing up on. So it's not like he doesn't have experience working on Maxima trannies. Heck, he has a car identical to mine in every way except his is a 5spd. I mean, year, color, everything. mileage is almost identical.

Yeah, we've put in nearly $3000 over 18 months, and have nothing to really show for it. The only thing left that the owner and I talked about today would be the tranny cooler...if it's jammed up, or having problems of some kind and not flowing enough, it would be easy to burn up a tranny in a few weeks, which is exactly what I just did. Who knows...

I dunno what we're going to do. We're gonna let them look at it, that's for sure. The thought has crossed my mind, but I can't come up with a convincing enough arguement for how to get them to buy me say a Level10 tranny, etc and have somebody else install it. Trust me, he's lost his shirt with us. He's put in 4 (or was it 3, I can't remember now) "rebuilt" trannies, and we've paid for 1.5 of 'em. We paid for a radiator, and a few other things. But trust me, all the labor alone probably has made him lose money with us. He cringes when I call. Literally, the shop owner did today. I told him "Things were going great..." And he literally said he was releaved. Then I told him, "...until this afternoon."

So, we'll see. I've already fielded one other tranny shop recommendation. It's Dad's call really... he's tossed the idea of small claims court around, so who knows. I guess it'll depend on what they come back to us with next week after they pull the tranny and "figure out what's wrong", and "how much it'll cost" (I was like, "Uh, yeah, we ain't paying you another penny fool!!!").

I'll keep ya'll updated. The worst part is, not 2 days ago, I was in downtown driving around, and thought to myself, "Wow, I love this car. And she sure feels torquey and responsive and just great today!" 48 hours later, she's waiting to limp over the mechanic. Ugh... (and the saga continues)
Old 09-02-2000, 06:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dang, that sucks. Let me know if you want me to go over there and rough the guy up.