General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HOLY S$%&! Just got car back with ACT clutch installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HOLY S$%&! Just got car back with ACT clutch installed!

All I can say is WOW!

I just picked up the car from the dealer. I had an ACT street clutch installed as well as a nissan flywheel. When I first got in and tried to go I stalled! I must have stalled 3 times on the 2 mile drive home. The grab is unreal. I have to relearn driving a stick, my neck is snapping hahaha.

Anyway I cannot WAIT until break in period is over. To the ACT owners, will it grab this well or will it ease off a little bit? Another question is what exactly is proper break in? I'm assuming its just keeping the rpm's under 3k, and no launces or anything... correct? Anything else I need to be doing? ACT suggests 200-300 miles but I think I'll do it for 500 just to be safe. Labor was alot

But anyway, just wanted to add another glowing review for ACT clutches.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Keven97SE

Re: HOLY S$%&! Just got car back with ACT clutch installed!

Break in just means to take it easy on the clutch the first 500 miles. This means no clutch dumps, hard launches, hard up/downshifts. You can rev as high as you want...you're breaking in the clutch liner, and the liner isn't doing anything at high rpms.

From my experience, either the clutch did become less grabby over time or I just got used to it...either way, it's not an issue any more. But yes, when I first got it installed I too was having trouble adjusting to the new feel. I've had mine in for 30K miles now and it still performs great!

Originally posted by CKNY
All I can say is WOW!

I just picked up the car from the dealer. I had an ACT street clutch installed as well as a nissan flywheel. When I first got in and tried to go I stalled! I must have stalled 3 times on the 2 mile drive home. The grab is unreal. I have to relearn driving a stick, my neck is snapping hahaha.

Anyway I cannot WAIT until break in period is over. To the ACT owners, will it grab this well or will it ease off a little bit? Another question is what exactly is proper break in? I'm assuming its just keeping the rpm's under 3k, and no launces or anything... correct? Anything else I need to be doing? ACT suggests 200-300 miles but I think I'll do it for 500 just to be safe. Labor was alot

But anyway, just wanted to add another glowing review for ACT clutches.

Old 04-05-2002, 11:10 AM
ThisMax2NV

What........

What stage clutch did you get 2 or 3? What was the price of the clutch, and the total with labor? I want to know before I get one. My clutch is still brand new stock but I want to change it to a better one. Thanks for the info in advanced.

Old 04-05-2002, 11:15 AM

Re: What........

Originally posted by ThisMax2NV
What stage clutch did you get 2 or 3? What was the price of the clutch, and the total with labor? I want to know before I get one. My clutch is still brand new stock but I want to change it to a better one. Thanks for the info in advanced.
I purchased the street kit from phuong at got rice (www.eatricezone.com). It's got a heavy duty pressure plate and modified street kit and the bearings. I think I paid like $345 for the kit... nissan dealer charged me $420 to install it. Do it, I wish I had done it sooner. I can't wait to get out of the break in period. =)

Anyway, I can't say enough great things about phuong at got rice? racing. Awesome price and great service.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:35 AM

The clutch will break in in a little bit and it wont be as "on-off" anymore. Then it will be pretty comfortable.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:17 PM

How much was the flywheel

Did you get a new flywheel? I'm thinking about getting a lightened flywheel when I need a new clutch. I will probably go with the lightest duty ACT. I want it to be streetable and I only added 30HP to the car so far (besides, I'm done with the engine mods). $420 was the labor to install? Kinda high. I think some people get their clutches installed in less than $200 hours = $100 install. I'm assuming that's the price with the flywheel.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How does the pedal feel? When does clutch start to engage?
Old 04-05-2002, 04:46 PM
ThisMax2NV

Dammit.....

This sucks a she males left nut!!! I just checked out the eatricezone.com and there is no clutch for my car maybe next time. Now I gotta go hunting.

Old 04-05-2002, 06:48 PM

Re: HOLY S$%&! Just got car back with ACT clutch installed!

hehe, welcome to the ACT clutch Club, yes, the grabbiness will ease off, but trust me, it will still be stupid quick, and yes, ease the clutch for the first 500 miles, and not going about 3k rpm is about right, that's what I did, and got great gas mileage

unfortunatly I just got new rubber, so I don't want to burn it up but I do AutoX, and then, watch out people

Vinipux
Old 04-05-2002, 08:03 PM

just wait for the first time you bark 3rd gear and then come back and tell us what you think
Old 04-05-2002, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
just wait for the first time you bark 3rd gear and then come back and tell us what you think

i was sooooo close to taking a 6 hour drive tonight just to be able to chirp 3rd - but soon enough - i drive alot =)

anyway - the labor alone on the install was $420 at a dealer. i went to quite a few places, and got quotes around the $350-450 mark. most places quoted me about 5 hours labor.

the flywheel was nissan stock $220 for the flywheel alone. i didn't feel the need to go for a lightened one since i do not plan on modding this engine beyond intake ypipe exhaust.

and the pedal feel is completely different. very very light pedal and it grabs as soon as you start to release it. much different from the stock nissan clutch. boy does it grab. hehe. i stalled a lot tonight =(
Old 04-05-2002, 10:40 PM

yeah, stalling is one of the things that you get with the ACT clutch, but you get used to it and it won't happen after awhile

Vinipux
Old 04-05-2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by CKNY

and the pedal feel is completely different. very very light pedal and it grabs as soon as you start to release it. much different from the stock nissan clutch. boy does it grab. hehe. i stalled a lot tonight =(
well actually it should be stiff pedal feel, mine was a noticeably light feel at first, but once it broke in or i got used to it, it seems really stiff now if i go drive my boys accord or the audi TT i detailed last week, I get back in mine and struggle to push the pedal, but you will love it, be carefull the first time you bark second, if you have good tires get ready for MAD wheel hop, cause honestly it has a sh!tload of grab in second gear
Old 04-06-2002, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
well actually it should be stiff pedal feel, mine was a noticeably light feel at first, but once it broke in or i got used to it, it seems really stiff now if i go drive my boys accord or the audi TT i detailed last week, I get back in mine and struggle to push the pedal, but you will love it, be carefull the first time you bark second, if you have good tires get ready for MAD wheel hop, cause honestly it has a sh!tload of grab in second gear
yep - the 1-2 shift grabs like crazy... and i'm just shifting at 3k rpm. i cannot wait to break this bad boy in =)
Old 04-06-2002, 09:53 AM

Stages?

maybe a stupid question but, how many stages of ACT clutches are there and what are their applications? what do you ACT guys recommend and how long will a stock clutch last with an SC?? can't afford both so gotta take it easy on the stock one i guess. i want this clutch so bad!! thanks for any info.