General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Combination Dino and synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 06:57 AM

Combination Dino and synthetic oil?

Does anyone here use a combo of one quart Mobil 1 and the rest Dino oil? A mechanic told me that you can save cash this way and still have the superior lubrication of the synthetic oil. It sounds reasonable to me, but I am reluctant to switch from 100% Mobil 1.
Just looking for some feedback. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:19 AM

Re: Combination Dino and synthetic oil?

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Does anyone here use a combo of one quart Mobil 1 and the rest Dino oil? A mechanic told me that you can save cash this way and still have the superior lubrication of the synthetic oil. It sounds reasonable to me, but I am reluctant to switch from 100% Mobil 1.
Just looking for some feedback. Thanks.
You're mechanic is basically an idiot. Mostly you will just be wasting the extra $4.50 on the quart of Mobil 1 and you will gain very little benefit if the oil is diluted like that. If you want the protection a synthetic provides, use a full synthetic. If you don't care just use all dino oil.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I use Durablend which is a mixture of Syn and Dino.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:26 AM

oil ?

Just to clarify. This guy is a mechanic, NOT my mechanic. We were having a conversation. I told him I always used synthetic oil. His reply was, "You can save money and still get the superior qualities of a synthetic oil" I was curious as to what you guys know on the subject.Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on changing any time soon.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:37 AM

Re: oil ?

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Just to clarify. This guy is a mechanic, NOT my mechanic. We were having a conversation. I told him I always used synthetic oil. His reply was, "You can save money and still get the superior qualities of a synthetic oil" I was curious as to what you guys know on the subject.Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on changing any time soon.
Okay, I'm still drinking my coffee so I'm a little punchy. I think the synthetic blends are pretty much marketing hype. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinions, but the sample of the Castrol Syntec in Bill's spreadsheet sure is scary. Personally, I don't see the advantages of spending more money for a product that is only slightly better.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:01 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060

It is a very ignorant concept that putting 1 quart of synthetic with several quarts of dino oil will gain anything. For "topping off" due to consumption it's fine, but to imply "better protection without the cost" is ludicrous. You have to pay to play.

IMHO, "Syntec" and other blend oils are a waste of money. Going pure dino or pure synthetic will give you the most consistent performance and protection. Marketing hype is slowly taking over at any parts store I've seen with oil. There seem to be very few pure dino or pure synthetic oils on the shelves anymore.

It is a much wiser move to put that money you would waste on a synthetic oil into a better quality oil filter. Mobil 1 is the best off the shelf oil filter you can get, especially for the VE engine. Jeff92se's Toyota cross-reference filter (part number in the spreadsheet) will serve you the best, but those are only available at a Toyota dealer.

Blackstone seems to really like Pennzoil dino oil......
Old 04-06-2002, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bill99gxe
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060

Blackstone seems to really like Pennzoil dino oil......
That is the oil that I use. It suits me fine and is not as expensive as synthetic.