General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with the flex section of your Cattman Y-pipe?
Y-pipe inspected. Problem in flex section
30.23%
Y-pipe inspected: No problem in flex section.
16.28%
Y-pipe not inspected: Possible problem in flex section.
18.60%
Y-pipe not inspected: Flex section seems to be OK so far.
34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Let's get real: Cattman Y-pipe flex section issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Let's get real: Cattman Y-pipe flex section issues

According to Brian, the flex section issues in Cattman Y-pipes are ". . . far from a universal problem". Let's find out.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:45 PM

Oh yeah http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=107471
Old 04-10-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

Question is, if someone found a problem w/ their non-cattman flexes, don't you think people would post about it? I wouldn't know if mine original cattman flex crumbled or not, it leaked in few months and I replaced shortly after.

BTW is a realy pain in the neck to get under the car and peer inside your Y pipe. I even have ball joint flanges and still it would be a pain.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:04 PM

I'd say the issue's important enough to take your vehicle to a mechanic or a muffler shop, have them pull the cat, and then inspect the flex section of the Y-pipe. FWIW, that's exactly what I intend to do.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

O man. I don't have that kind of time or $ to waste on that. Hell, now you got me curious! Thing is I have another flex identical to the one I have on my car now. I should peer into that and see how the inner lining is welded on.

Originally posted by y2kse
I'd say the issue's important enough to take your vehicle to a mechanic or a muffler shop, have them pull the cat, and then inspect the flex section of the Y-pipe. FWIW, that's exactly what I intend to do.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
O man. I don't have that kind of time or $ to waste on that. Hell, now you got me curious! Thing is I have another flex identical to the one I have on my car now. I should peer into that and see how the inner lining is welded on.

I'm guessing a muffler shop would drop the cat and reinstall it for around $20.00 to $30.00. IMHO, that's a cheap price to pay for some peace of mind, especially if the Y-pipe is still under warranty.

PS: The invoice on my Cattman Y-pipe is dated 6/18/01. You'd damn well better believe I'm going to have it inspected before 6/18/02.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Plus the 1 hour of standing around time that I don't have.

I'm guessing a muffler shop would drop the cat and reinstall it for around $20.00 to $30.00. IMHO, that's a cheap price to pay for some peace of mind, especially if the Y-pipe is still under warranty.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:21 PM

Plus the 1 hour of standing around time that I don't have.

Then obviously it's not enough of an issue for you to deal with. But I'd suspect you're in the minority on this one. Still, I'd be happy to run another poll to find out how many Cattman Y-pipe owners aren't going to get their Y-pipes inspected if you need convincing.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nope, hopefully I'll be chucking that thing soon!

Then obviously it's not enough of an issue for you to deal with. But I'd suspect you're in the minority on this one.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:17 PM

Come on guys. I know more than six of you have Cattman Y-pipes.

Cast your votes.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Didn't vote yet but just to let you know, I installed some 315-25-17 that were only s rated on my 17x6 rims.

Seriously, glad you're keeping the fight up about it.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:11 PM

nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff92se
[B]Didn't vote yet but just to let you know, I installed some 315-25-17 that were only s rated on my 17x6 rims.

OMG Cattman is in a world of hurt with Y2 on them. He will prove the exhaust restriction is somehow related to 235's on 7 inch rims.

Old 04-10-2002, 10:32 PM

Re: nice

Originally posted by Blackgums100

OMG Cattman is in a world of hurt with Y2 on them. He will prove the exhaust restriction is somehow related to 235's on 7 inch rims.

Don't get me started!

Old 04-10-2002, 10:39 PM

Question . . .

So what's the plan for those of you who think you have a problem with your flex section but haven't had it inspected yet? Are you going to get your Y-pipe inspected or are you going to keep driving around with a defective Y-pipe? And if you are going to get your Y-pipe inspected, when are you planning to do that?

Don't be shy. Speak up!
Old 04-10-2002, 11:14 PM

I purchased a Cattman y-pipe February 2001, I had the flex replaced becuase of leakage by Cattman UNDER warrenty in Sept 2001. I realized a power loss in November 2001...I found the crumpled lining in my flex section in February 2002....I bought another use cattman y-pipe off a local member for really cheap...it had been used for 3K miles..and the flex was fine....last night after less that 1K miles on my car I disconnected the cat...and the y-pipe (took 5 minutes) and peered inside....and guess what I found......you got it...my NEW Cattman y-pipe was having the SAME problem as my old one!!!!!!! So I now have TWO busted Cattman y-pipes sitting in my garage....and my stock y-pipe on my car....boy does my life suck right now...
Old 04-10-2002, 11:22 PM

Re: Question . . .

So what's the plan for those of you who think you have a problem with your flex section but haven't had it inspected yet? Are you going to get your Y-pipe inspected or are you going to keep driving around with a defective Y-pipe? And if you are going to get your Y-pipe inspected, when are you planning to do that?

Don't be shy. Speak up!
I voted that my pipe seems okay and I haven't inspected it yet....but I'm getting a new catback in the next couple of weeks so when I put that on, I'll pull the cat & check the y-pipe for any irregularities.

Jeez, a shrinking flex section? I would've never guessed that this of all things would become an issue when I bought the pipe. I'm so sorry I didn't keep my stock pipe just for piece of mind.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:04 AM

I know I'm having a problem just not sure if thats the cause but I will be taking mine off and putting the stock back on anyway
Old 04-11-2002, 02:59 AM

Mine, as most of you know, had the innner flex lining come loose and clog it up.

Looks like the problem isn't very isolated.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by omax
I know I'm having a problem just not sure if thats the cause but I will be taking mine off and putting the stock back on anyway
I assume you'll inspect the flex section of your Cattman Y-pipe before you put your stock Y-pipe back on, omax. If the flex section is OK, will you still remove the Cattman? And if so, why?
Old 04-11-2002, 07:30 AM

It may be a bit early to declare results, but among those who have had their Cattman Y-pipes inspected, 2 out of 3 stated that they discovered a problem with the flex sections of their pipes. While these results may not be indicative of a "universal" problem, the condition appears to be much more widespread that Cattman might care to admit.

Based on the data collected so far, it seems wise for EVERYONE who owns a Cattman Y-pipe to inspect the flex section of their pipes, particularly if the pipe is within one year of purchase and still under warranty. I certainly intend to have my pipe inspected. And if I find that the flex section is defective, I will have Cattman repair it at Cattman's expense.

Please keep voting. The more votes we get, the better the results. And if any of you who have not gotten your Y-pipe inspected decide to do so, please post a thread as to the outcome of your inspection. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:19 AM

I've had my Cattman Y-pipe since around September and I looked at it this past weekend. Mine is fine, no problems.

But who knows how long it takes for the flex to come undone. I'd also like to know how Nitrous or a SC effects the Y-pipe. Are most of the people with flex section problems boosted in some way?
Old 04-11-2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
I've had my Cattman Y-pipe since around September and I looked at it this past weekend. Mine is fine, no problems.

But who knows how long it takes for the flex to come undone. I'd also like to know how Nitrous or a SC effects the Y-pipe. Are most of the people with flex section problems boosted in some way?
You and I are thinking somewhat in parallel, breaux124. I'm also interested in determining if there's a pattern to the flex section problem. My question is, how hard are the cars driven that have the problem? In other words, does the problem occur more frequently if the vehicle is raced or driven aggressively?

Speak up guys. Let's see if we can figure out why some flex sections collapse while others don't.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:23 PM

My flex section got a hole in it after 2 months of use. On my car there is a hangar right in front of the flex section. It is welded on the Stock Y, therefore it couldnt be removed. My Cattman y-pipe didnt have this hangar, so my flex section basically drooped. I sent my y-pipe back to Cattman and he welded this hangar on and supposedly he changed his design to include the hangar. All free of charge, but it did take about a month for them to fix and ship it back.

I am gonna check and see if the inside of the flex section is starting to fray and report back to you.

BTW...Y2kse I got a tire question for you. I will send you a PM later on tonight.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:28 PM

FYI.....Cattman sent me an email a while back describing how Nissan engine mounts are notorious for failing. Could this be part of the problem. People could be riding around on damaged engine mounts and not even know it.

I drive my car hard. The first flex section I had lasted me 2 months. Everytime i shifted hard into 2nd or 3rd I would get a loud bang. I took my car to the Track 2 weeks after the y-pipe install and when my friends saw me run they said it looked like my B-pipe/Cat was gonna touch the ground. This was caused by the hangar missing that I described above.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

I am gonna check and see if the inside of the flex section is starting to fray and report back to you.
Thanks for the detailed post, MAX2000JP. I'll look forward to hearing the results of your inspection.

BTW...Y2kse I got a tire question for you. I will send you a PM later on tonight.
Oh goody, goody!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's an interesting statement. I've had more than one flex fail(one Cattman and another a different brand). It could have been the motor mounts. BUT my oem Y pipe is in perfect condition. If my motor mounts were indeed bad, would not the oem flex be damaged also?

It's my theory that the flex sections are too SHORT. Not enough "give". That's the only big difference I see between the Cattman and oem flex sections. Note: my 2nd one(currently wrapped in header wrap to reduce noise) is also very short. The Cattman Y doesn't alow room for the installation of a longer flex.

FYI.....Cattman sent me an email a while back describing how Nissan engine mounts are notorious for failing. Could this be part of the problem. People could be riding around on damaged engine mounts and not even know it.

I drive my car hard. The first flex section I had lasted me 2 months. Everytime i shifted hard into 2nd or 3rd I would get a loud bang. I took my car to the Track 2 weeks after the y-pipe install and when my friends saw me run they said it looked like my B-pipe/Cat was gonna touch the ground. This was caused by the hangar missing that I described above.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:24 PM

It's my theory that the flex sections are too SHORT. Not enough "give".
I subscibe to your theory, Jeff. My guess is that the incidence of flex section problems is much higher among those who regularly race or drive their Maximas aggressively. I don't race my Maxima nor do I tend to drive it that aggressively most of the time. So I'll be interested to see if my flex section is collapsing when I take it in to get it inspected.

Having said that, I do understand that the flex section should be able to withstand racing conditions. After all, that's really what it was made for, right?
Old 04-11-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well yes. That should be understood as the Y is a "performance" part. The question is why are the aftermarket ones failing and not the oem ones. Surely the extra 10hp is not enough to make a significant difference in the area of motor mount deflection. Let's say it's enough to make the motor mounts flex another 10%. Can't the flex accomodate that??

Here is another sidenote. My brother had a custom Y made. Redesigned down pipes into the stock flex and output flange. Diameter is slightly smaller than aftermarket ones(oem dia vs whatever Cattman is). So let's say it gives my brother 90% of the gains that a Cattman would. That would reduce the amount of motor mount flex to what, 9% deflection? But he has not experienced ANY leaks whatsoever. Now you can't really say the performance difference inbetween the two aftermarket Y pipes is the difference. Doesn't make sense. To me it MUST be either the flex itself, the design of the flex, or the length of the flex. I am tending toward the length for now. As I believe budget and Warspeed use longer versions of the flex and have not "apparently" experienced any problems.

Having said that, I do understand that the flex section should be able to withstand racing conditions. After all, that's what it was made for, right?
Old 04-11-2002, 05:40 PM

. . . he has not experienced ANY leaks whatsoever . . . To me it MUST be either the flex itself, the design of the flex, or the length of the flex. I am tending toward the length for now. As I believe budget and Warspeed use longer versions of the flex and have not "apparently" experienced any problems.

My understanding is that it's not a leak issue we're dealing with but a constriction issue. And yes, it could be a problem with the flex itself, the design of the flex, or the length of the flex. But might it not also be the result of recurring heavy stress placed on the flex due to racing and aggressive driving?

Here are a couple of telling questions. Let's see if anyone will respond.

Question 1: If you race your Maxima or drive it aggressively, have you experienced problems with the flex section of your Cattman Y-pipe?

Question 2: If you do NOT race your Maxima or drive it aggressively, have you experienced problems with the flex section of your Cattman Y-pipe?

My guess. . . and this is only a guess, mind you . . .is that the percentage of those who answer Question 1 in the affirmative will far outweigh the percentage of those who answer Question 2 in the affirmative.

BTW, I remember reading something recently from Warpspeed concerning the fact that bad flex can be an issue for ANY manufacturer of Y-pipes.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:28 PM

Interesting. I thought at least some of you guys would be willing to stand up and tell us whether your driving habits might be contributing to the problem you're having with your flex section. But I guess it's every man for himself, huh?

UPDATE!

Well I know of at least one person who beats the crap out of their Y-pipe and has the damaged flex to prove it. Check out:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=111817

Kind of makes me wonder if any aftermarket Y-pipe could stand up to that kind of abuse . . . er, fun!
Old 04-12-2002, 01:22 AM

Re: Re: Question . . .

So is Cattman redesigning his Y-pipe or not? Thats what I am waiting for.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Question . . .

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
So is Cattman redesigning his Y-pipe or not? Thats what I am waiting for.
Why don't you contact Brian and ask him, JDwyer2821. You can reach him at 800-795-1513. Then let us know what he says.

Now, is ANYBODY willing to fess up to the fact that beating the crap out of their Cattman Y-pipe may have contributed to why their flex failed? Or do I have to keep digging through other threads to discover the truth?

And has ANYBODY with a Cattman Y-pipe who doesn't race or drive their Maxima aggressively ever experienced a problem with their flex section?

Come on guys. Help me out here.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

I "assume" if it's noisy, it's leaking, thus the lining is broken. Maybe it's a wrong assumption. And yes, he drives it like a *****! hehe

My understanding is that it's not a leak issue we're dealing with but a constriction issue. And yes, it could be a problem with the flex itself, the design of the flex, or the length of the flex. But might it not also be the result of recurring heavy stress placed on the flex due to racing and aggressive driving?

Here are a couple of telling questions. Let's see if anyone will respond.

Question 1: If you race your Maxima or drive it aggressively, have you experienced problems with the flex section of your Cattman Y-pipe?

Question 2: If you do NOT race your Maxima or drive it aggressively, have you experienced problems with the flex section of your Cattman Y-pipe?

My guess. . . and this is only a guess, mind you . . .is that the percentage of those who answer Question 1 in the affirmative will far outweigh the percentage of those who answer Question 2 in the affirmative.

BTW, I remember reading something recently from Warpspeed concerning the fact that bad flex can be an issue for ANY manufacturer of Y-pipes.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:53 AM

I "assume" if it's noisy, it's leaking, thus the lining is broken. Maybe it's a wrong assumption. And yes, he drives it like a *****! hehe

And how many of the other people who said they have a problem with their flex sections drive like "******"? And how many people who said they don't have a problem with their flex sections drive like "non-******"?

Buehler? Buehler?
Old 04-12-2002, 09:04 AM

And how many of the other people who said they have a problem with their flex sections drive like "******"? And how many people who said they don't have a problem with their flex sections drive like "non-******"?

Buehler? Buehler?
I went to the track once with my car and that was last august. I do drive my car pretty agressive. I usually dont launch my car, but rather hit it from a roll.

I agree that the flex section on the Cattman y-pipe might be too short. Compare it to a stock flex and its half the size.

Another theory I have is that "wheel hop" causes deterioration of the flex. I try to avoid it at all costs.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:48 AM

I went to the track once with my car and that was last august. I do drive my car pretty agressive. I usually dont launch my car, but rather hit it from a roll.

I agree that the flex section on the Cattman y-pipe might be too short. Compare it to a stock flex and its half the size.

Another theory I have is that "wheel hop" causes deterioration of the flex. I try to avoid it at all costs.
Thanks for stepping up to the plate, MAX2000JP. It's nice that somebody cares enough to respond.

Did you inspect the flex section of your Y-pipe? If so, was it damaged?
Old 04-12-2002, 11:05 AM

I drive my car pretty hard, and my flex section is ok. But it's only been on since around september AND I'm NA.

I wonder if welding on a hanger like the stock Y-pipe would help, since it wouldn't move as much.

As for flex section length. I've had both the Warpspeed Y-pipe and the Cattman. The warpspeed Y-pipes have a longer flex section, but they were much stiffer than the cattman flex. The cattman flex on my Y-pipe seemed really loose/flex whereas the Warpspeed flex section was much more stiff/ridged.
Also, warpspeed Y-pipes have only been around a little over a year, so maybe over time they'll develop the same problem?
Old 04-12-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by breaux124
I drive my car pretty hard, and my flex section is ok. But it's only been on since around september AND I'm NA.

I wonder if welding on a hanger like the stock Y-pipe would help, since it wouldn't move as much.

As for flex section length. I've had both the Warpspeed Y-pipe and the Cattman. The warpspeed Y-pipes have a longer flex section, but they were much stiffer than the cattman flex. The cattman flex on my Y-pipe seemed really loose/flex whereas the Warpspeed flex section was much more stiff/ridged.
Also, warpspeed Y-pipes have only been around a little over a year, so maybe over time they'll develop the same problem?
Thanks, Bryan. Your response would seem to indicate that aggressive driving might not be a factor in causing flex section detioration.

I assume that most people who install a Y-pipe don't drive their Maximas conservatively. I may be one of the few people who do. I don't race my Maxima and I've only launched it hard once from a dead stop. (I'm not a big fan of wheel hop!) But I like to accelerate quickly once I get moving. So it will be interesting to see if my flex section has detiorated when I get my Y-pipe inspected.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by VeeTec
Mine, as most of you know, had the innner flex lining come loose and clog it up.

Looks like the problem isn't very isolated.
OMG and yours was just like 2 weeks old?? dang
Old 04-12-2002, 12:53 PM

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, MAX2000JP. It's nice that somebody cares enough to respond.

Did you inspect the flex section of your Y-pipe? If so, was it damaged?
I havent inspected the inside of the flex section yet. If I get a chance this weekend I will. I got a lot of modding to do this weekend. Helping my brother put a UDP and H&Rs on his 99' SE-L and I am also helping BriGuyMax put KYB-AGX's/Sprints on his car.

What do you think about my wheel hop theory? Pesonally I think that the problem might involve a couple of variables such as the length of the flex, engine mounts, and wheel hop. I wish I could load the vid i took of my runs at the track. You can see my exhaust bouncing up and down violently.

Quick Reply: Let's get real: Cattman Y-pipe flex section issues