General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

wipers acting funny (sometimes work, sometimes not)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wipers acting funny (sometimes work, sometimes not)

A couple days ago, I turned on the wipers 'cuz it started to rain lightly and nothing happened. Same thing at all speeds (intermittent, slow, fast). Then, I turned it on a few minutes later and it worked again!

Anyway, for the past couple days, I've been occasionally turning on the wipers to test them. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't move at all, and sometimes they'll work but then stop right in the middle of an upsweep or downsweep.

Hmm..what could it be? I don't think it's the wiper motor. Perhaps the switch? Damn electrical probs are a PITA.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:35 PM

Try >>

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
A couple days ago, I turned on the wipers 'cuz it started to rain lightly and nothing happened. Same thing at all speeds (intermittent, slow, fast). Then, I turned it on a few minutes later and it worked again!

Anyway, for the past couple days, I've been occasionally turning on the wipers to test them. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't move at all, and sometimes they'll work but then stop right in the middle of an upsweep or downsweep.

Hmm..what could it be? I don't think it's the wiper motor. Perhaps the switch? Damn electrical probs are a PITA.
Turning them on, and if they are not moving, go outside the car and listen. If you hear a grinding, whining or scraping sound, perhaps the drive spline on the shaft has been stripped. THis would cause the arm to slip. Or maybe it's just a bad electrical connection.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:39 PM

Re: Try >>

Originally posted by Albertt

Turning them on, and if they are not moving, go outside the car and listen. If you hear a grinding, whining or scraping sound, perhaps the drive spline on the shaft has been stripped. THis would cause the arm to slip. Or maybe it's just a bad electrical connection.
I tried that. Turned on the wipers and if they don't move, I don't hear any sound.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Try >>

I tried that. Turned on the wipers and if they don't move, I don't hear any sound.
The problem is most likely an electrical connection. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:25 PM

Hmm...I tested it again...when I turn the wiper switch to intermittent & the wipers don't move, I can still hear the (fuse?) box underneath the hood click on and off intermittently like it's supposed to. So now, I don't think it's the wiper switch...
Old 04-11-2002, 09:58 PM

CalsonicSE >>

Hmm...I tested it again...when I turn the wiper switch to intermittent & the wipers don't move, I can still hear the (fuse?) box underneath the hood click on and off intermittently like it's supposed to. So now, I don't think it's the wiper switch...
Hearing this, sounds like it's most likely a problem with the connection between the relay and wiper motor. Also, the wiper motor could be blown. Connections don't usually go bad all of a sudden, so if this problem appeared suddenly, the motor is fried.