General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need some serious advice about getting a new car/modding/etc......

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2000, 04:01 PM

Ok.....I have a 93 Maxima GXE. There are lots of things I want for it.....but I can't justify spending the money. Leather 1k. Sunroof 1k. CD player, spoiler, 16's, etc.. AND.....ITS AN AUTO.

I would like either a later 4th gen or even a 5th gen. I can swing a lease at the end of next year or maybe buy a 98 se 5sp loaded. The thing is......am I wasting my money? I mean....I could just drive my car till it dies....a long long time from now. A vg with 65K is like a baby. BUT...if I'm gonna be driving it....I want it to be enjoyable. Or....I can not mod it....and say.....have a 10k nest egg at the end of next year......ah....advice?

Mike S.
Old 11-25-2000, 04:23 PM

If you really want to "enjoy the ride". You might want to sell your baby and then purchase a newer Max to do some modest mods on. If you spend your nest egg on the current vehicle its value will only increase to you and not to anyone else. If your car is accident free and as low mileage as you say sell it for book value and apply those proceeds plus part of your nest egg to your new purchase. The result will be no debt on a car that you can then modify a little at a time while at the same time saving a part of your nest egg for insurance and the like. Just my $.02
Old 11-25-2000, 04:23 PM

My views.....

Originally posted by Mike S.
Ok.....I have a 93 Maxima GXE. There are lots of things I want for it.....but I can't justify spending the money. Leather 1k. Sunroof 1k. CD player, spoiler, 16's, etc.. AND.....ITS AN AUTO.

I would like either a later 4th gen or even a 5th gen. I can swing a lease at the end of next year or maybe buy a 98 se 5sp loaded. The thing is......am I wasting my money? I mean....I could just drive my car till it dies....a long long time from now. A vg with 65K is like a baby. BUT...if I'm gonna be driving it....I want it to be enjoyable. Or....I can not mod it....and say.....have a 10k nest egg at the end of next year......ah....advice?

Mike S.
What you have to do is look at the cost of what your doing. For example you'll still be paying the same amount for gas and maintence that you do now. Of course the mods for the VQ are more expensive depending on how fast you want to go. Even though I have a se-r that is better in almost every way than my max is I still miss driving the maxima. I say just keep the max and look for a pleasure or fun car. Something like a ACR neon, 200sx/sentra se-r or G20, civic, integra, impreza 2.5rs or someother pocket rocket. I have driven a modded 5spd 4th gen before. The thing is those cars felt alot bigger than my max did. Even though we had equal suspension mods (minus his 17" wheels) my car had better steering response and was more tossable. If anything you might be able to de mod your 93gxe and find a VE 5spd for maybe $1000-2000 over the price of your car. Even though you might have to deal with broken studs and VTC's it would be a hell of a deal. I guess its just that I hate to be in debt, so I'm alittle biased. IMHO get an ACR neon or se-r and kick the s*** out of everyone else on the autoX or roadcourse.
Old 11-25-2000, 04:31 PM

Buy a VE. Same great looks, 5 spd available, and no minivan suspensions.
Old 11-25-2000, 05:37 PM
OG :)

private sell vg
lease a vq, enjoy the ride!
Old 11-26-2000, 11:04 AM

I would probably keep what you have and do modest mods to it to keep you interested/happy. Forget the leather and sunroof, it's better to buy a different car when you're talking about that type of stuff. Start with some 16" wheels (which are pretty cheap these days, and re-saleable, unlike the leather and sunroof) and then do the $200 spoiler gig.

You could save some serious cash over buying a new car, and since your car is presumably in good shape (65K), it's still one of the finer autos on the road.

I have a 99 SE and I find myself frequently admiring the 3rd gen's I see out there. If I bought one in 94, it would be paid off now and I'd have more money for that new house I want.