General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Attn: Cattman . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 06:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I feel sorry for, BriGuyMax and dmbmaxima88, is your position that if people don't think the way you do, they're wrong (i.e., lack desire, lack motivation, haven't grown up yet, etc.). I believe that's the definition of bigotry.

Wanna be my friend, Steve?
Old 04-16-2002, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by y2kse
What I feel sorry for, BriGuyMax and dmbmaxima88, is your position that if people don't think the way you do, they're wrong (i.e., lack desire, lack motivation, haven't grown up yet, etc.). I believe that's the definition of bigotry.

It's not a matter of the way I think vs. the way another person thinks. It's me trying to be helpful on this forum by telling people just how EASY it is to save $30.

If that makes me a biggot....so be it.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

It's not a matter of the way I think vs. the way another person thinks.
Thank you for clarifying your position, BriGuyMax. And thank you for returning your focus to the issues rather than attacking those who hold a different opinion than yours.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a socket wrench and a 14mm socket.....

A 3 year old can undo bolts....it's not a matter of being mechanically inclined...it's a matter of being motivated.
I agree. I hadn't worked on cars before my Maxima and now I can do springs,intake,y-pipe ect.

You just have to be willing to spend some time to learn. Sometimes you make mistakes, but thats why you have a buddy help ya. All you need is a cheap socket set from Home depot, universal joint, and a breaker bar and you have most of the tools you need.

Some people dont like to get their hands dirty or some people's time is worth more than doing it themself. Its all a matter of preference.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Some people dont like to get their hands dirty or some people's time is worth more than doing it themself. Its all a matter of preference.
Precisely, MAX2000JP. And you didn't find it necessary to cast a single aspersion in your reply. My hat's off to you.

PS: You mentioned some of the reasons why an individual might not want to do the work themselves. Believe me, there are others.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:51 AM

Precisely, MAX2000JP. And you didn't find it necessary to cast a single aspersion in your reply. My hat's off to you.

PS: You mentioned some of the reasons why an individual might not want to do the work themselves. Believe me, there are others.
Those are the ones I could think of really quickly. My dad would never think of doing anything maintence wise on his car. He asks me to put washer fluid in his car. If something goes wrong he would just rather take it to the dealer. He has tons on mechanical knowledge and even modded his 66' Mustang 3 speed with a 289( 2 barrel carb) to run 14.3s. Did all the work himself back then, even gears.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:56 AM

I wrote to cattman a few days ago, and have not gotten a reply yet. My flex section is starting to come apartWhats worse with my ypipe is that it doesnt fit well. It rubs on the metal bar that supports the engine. I am really dissatisfied with this product.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34
I wrote to cattman a few days ago, and have not gotten a reply yet. My flex section is starting to come apartWhats worse with my ypipe is that it doesnt fit well. It rubs on the metal bar that supports the engine. I am really dissatisfied with this product.
Keep e-mailing him, skeelo34. He will respond. And if your Y-pipe is starting to come apart, I'd suggest you remove it immediately and replace it with your OEM Y-pipe.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:10 AM

Keep e-mailing him, skeelo34. He will respond. And if your Y-pipe is starting to come apart, I'd suggest you remove it immediately and replace it with your OEM Y-pipe.
I have replaced it. Also, do you think he can correct the fitment problem? I noticed somethign wrong with my ypipe when i started smelling exhaust fumes and hearing a hissing sound.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34

I have replaced it. Also, do you think he can correct the fitment problem? I noticed somethign wrong with my ypipe when i started smelling exhaust fumes and hearing a hissing sound.
Brian is aware of the fitment issues. I'd suggest you mention that in your e-mails to him.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:35 PM

help...

i have a cattman Y sitting in my room...waiting for the install..opened the box to look at it and hat is all...what should i look for if your saying that all lined flexes will have the problem...should i send it back to brian in order to have a pipe sent that is less likely to fail...i purchased in Jan of 2002...

sabe
Old 04-16-2002, 04:54 PM

Re: help...

Originally posted by BlackMax62
i have a cattman Y sitting in my room...waiting for the install..opened the box to look at it and hat is all...what should i look for if your saying that all lined flexes will have the problem...should i send it back to brian in order to have a pipe sent that is less likely to fail...i purchased in Jan of 2002...

sabe
I'd recommend that you send Brian an e-mail stating your concerns about the flex section of your brand new uninstalled Cattman Y-pipe and see what he has to say.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

no they aren't wrong, but if they aren't motivated someone shouldn't ahve to pay for their laziness to uncover a POTENTIAL problem that not everyone will have. if they are concerned enougth they should get motivated and look.

and yes
Old 04-16-2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

. . . laziness . . .
I rest my case!

I'm glad you're willing to be my friend, Steve. Now when can you show up at my house in Los Angeles with your tools? And please don't forget to bring your digital camera with you.

right back at ya!!
Old 04-17-2002, 04:37 AM

I rest my case!

I'm glad you're willing to be my friend, Steve. Now when can you show up at my house in Los Angeles with your tools? And please don't forget to bring your digital camera with you.

right back at ya!!
LA there has to be antoehr maxima.org member arond that will help you, that's what i'm saying. a little motivation and your all set.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

LA there has to be antoehr maxima.org member arond that will help you, that's what i'm saying. a little motivation and your all set.
But here I thought you said YOU were my friend, Steve. And now you've gone and let me down

So any of you Los Angeles guys wanna help me take a look at my flex section now that Steve's bailed on me?
Old 04-17-2002, 02:30 PM

But here I thought you said YOU were my friend, Steve. And now you've gone and let me down

So any of you Los Angeles guys wanna help me take a look at my flex section now that Steve's bailed on me?
if i could drive my car there i would right now and take your y-pipe off and then go and drag and shut up SCC and their 15.0 and be on the front cover and get my company a 10 page pullout add. but it's a little banged up now.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:17 AM

i rather have a mechanic do most of my work.. not because of laziness but because i have no time. on the issue of the flex section, the newer design should be better. so if it is i would just get one even if my original was not broken, and i would be willing to pay for it..
Old 04-18-2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by 99maxi
i rather have a mechanic do most of my work.. not because of laziness but because i have no time. on the issue of the flex section, the newer design should be better. so if it is i would just get one even if my original was not broken, and i would be willing to pay for it..
Contact Cattman, 99maxi. I imagine he'd be happy to sell you one.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:59 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...interesting thread.

I've got a Cattman on order and I'm just waiting for it to get in. I'm going to call them and find out if the flex section is a newer, improved one, or if it's the same old design that so many of you have had problems with.

I don't care if I was sent a new flex section. If they're going bad what's the point of putting a new one in if it's going to go bad, too? The last count I read was 14 out of 18 in the poll had problems with their flex. That's about 78%!!!!!!!!

I have mixed feelings about Cattman paying to have the flex section inspected even if the customer hasn't had any symptoms of it going bad. First of all, doesn't a car company that makes a recall pay to have the bad part inspected/repaired for free regardless of whether or not the customer notices anything? And you can't expect people to inspect it themselves, although it's not that hard. I don't think installing stereos is that hard, but if I purchased a bad one I don't think it would be my responsibility to take it apart to see if it has a problem.

Tony
Old 04-27-2002, 12:17 PM

Cattman just started putting lined flex sections into his pipes recently didn't he? I haven't had a chance to lift my car since this discussion started, but I might check it out tomorrow. I didn't think I even had a lined flex section. I bought my pipe from Cattman around the beginning of this year.