General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

First race in new car: 2k2 Max vs S2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 02:21 AM

First race in new car: 2k2 Max vs S2000

Cruising on jamboree in irvine today coming back from pep-boys after buying some touch up paint (chips grrr..) I noticed a yellow s2000 a few lanes next to me. So I get into the lane next to him, just kinda checking out his car. Well, I sped off after getting my fill and he cut through traffic to follow me. We ended up at the next stoplight lined up next to each other. Well I glanced over at him and he looked at me but didn't give me any indication he wanted to run but he turned his radio off. I do the same, kinda reluctant to run cause my car was still at 600~ miles.
Well the light turned green and he took off fast, but not a hard launch, and I do the same. At the end of the light he decides to floor it, so I floor it through 1st and chirp second instantly catching up to him. I think he downshifted back to first cause I heard his car go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH (high-pitched), then second again, catching up to me. Well to make a long story short, we were dead even up till 4th gear when I had to take a racing line on a turn to keep up cause he was outhandling me at 90+ miles per hour. The street we were racing on is a broad 4 lane road with sweeping turns. Well, I decided I had put my car through enough abuse and my turn was coming up so I gave him a wave and slowed down to turn.
This left me with two impressions:

1. S2000's are really well built cars. A 4 banger that can pump out that much horsepower and handle like that is really impressive.
2. My car can keep up with an S2000 YAY!

I was shifting granny style and didn't redline it. About 6k rpms each shift, gotta break it in still! When it's broken in, who knows what the result will be? On that road though, he'll still beat me simply because I wouldn't be able to stay in those turns at those speeds. Or maybe i'm just a Pu$*y. Well some springs/struts/tires might take care of that.

Anyway WHAT A RUSH! Racing in a manual is night and day from racing in an auto. BTW, I beat a fixed up v6 accord last night in my girlfriend's turbo bug hehe.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Granny Driven

Re: First race in new car: 2k2 Max vs S2000

why are you abusing it with 600 miles on. Wait at least 1000 miles.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: First race in new car: 2k2 Max vs S2000

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
why are you abusing it with 600 miles on. Wait at least 1000 miles.
most cars are broken in around the 500 mile mark....I don't know why people go 1000 miles anymore....
Old 04-15-2002, 08:52 AM

*ok before i tell you the following statement i just want to say i dont trust the dealership farther than i can through them...*

but the manager to the guy that sold me my car told me that the ecu on the 2k2 max runs a little richer for the first 1500-1800 miles as a precause for breaking it in. did anyone else get told that? I just past 1200miles and am just now starting to take it past 4000rpms.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:44 AM

Good run,But I would at leat wait to 1000 miles before redlining it.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Good run,But I would at leat wait to 1000 miles before redlining it.
He said that he did not redline it and shifted gently.

SuDZ
Old 04-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Re: Re: First race in new car: 2k2 Max vs S2000

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

most cars are broken in around the 500 mile mark....I don't know why people go 1000 miles anymore....
Read your manual again.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:17 PM
RKS

Re: First race in new car: 2k2 Max vs S2000

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Cruising on jamboree in irvine today coming back from pep-boys after buying some touch up paint (chips grrr..) I noticed a yellow s2000 a few lanes next to me. So I get into the lane next to him, just kinda checking out his car. Well, I sped off after getting my fill and he cut through traffic to follow me. We ended up at the next stoplight lined up next to each other. Well I glanced over at him and he looked at me but didn't give me any indication he wanted to run but he turned his radio off. I do the same, kinda reluctant to run cause my car was still at 600~ miles.
Well the light turned green and he took off fast, but not a hard launch, and I do the same. At the end of the light he decides to floor it, so I floor it through 1st and chirp second instantly catching up to him. I think he downshifted back to first cause I heard his car go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH (high-pitched), then second again, catching up to me. Well to make a long story short, we were dead even up till 4th gear when I had to take a racing line on a turn to keep up cause he was outhandling me at 90+ miles per hour. The street we were racing on is a broad 4 lane road with sweeping turns. Well, I decided I had put my car through enough abuse and my turn was coming up so I gave him a wave and slowed down to turn.
This left me with two impressions:

1. S2000's are really well built cars. A 4 banger that can pump out that much horsepower and handle like that is really impressive.
2. My car can keep up with an S2000 YAY!

I was shifting granny style and didn't redline it. About 6k rpms each shift, gotta break it in still! When it's broken in, who knows what the result will be? On that road though, he'll still beat me simply because I wouldn't be able to stay in those turns at those speeds. Or maybe i'm just a Pu$*y. Well some springs/struts/tires might take care of that.

Anyway WHAT A RUSH! Racing in a manual is night and day from racing in an auto. BTW, I beat a fixed up v6 accord last night in my girlfriend's turbo bug hehe.
That's pretty ironic that my wife kinda raced one on Saturday. (post somewhere) Basically if those things aren't launched hard the Max can keep up. From what brief stuff I have read, if you want a good take-off you need to rev to 6K. The clutch may not last but you wouldn't lose to a Maxima.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:23 PM

surpisingly maxima's hold up well to the s2000. My friend has an S2k and we race all the time. Even today on the highway. From 45 mph to 105, i was able to hold with him and my front bumper was to his door when we finished. He had the top down so that was giving me an advantage. s2000's are fast but not totally out of the maximas league. I proved alot of worth tonight when people saw that race, gave maxima a good name.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Ford Only.

You could of took him, if you werent granny shifting So I guess you took it over 4k huh Dennis??? I know you can take out a S2000. Brian V did all the time, before his S/C. Get a hard launch, and redline that bioch, and powershift, you will easily take him.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:57 PM

The S2000 posts some great performance numbers but it HAS TO BE driven at its limits in order to acheive its acclaimed performance numbers. (The same rules apply to the Integra Type R.)

Like MAXEJA states, s2000's are fast but not totally out of the maximas league.