General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Mobil1 Changes to Super-Syn - Rumor becomes Reality

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 06:25 PM

Mobil1 Changes to Super-Syn - Rumor becomes Reality

I heard rumor a while back about Mobil introducing yet another new formula. Anyone know what the difference between it and the Tri-Synthetic is. I'm not looking for the marketing bs Mobil is using with it claiming it makes your engine wear less. I want some technical info folks. Anyone seen it in stores. I just bought some tri-synthetic. I think I might just have to return and try the new stuff. Here a link: http://www.mobil1.com/supersyn/index.jsp
Old 04-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I noticed this the other day at Wally-World as well, although I only saw it in the 15W/50 viscosity.......
Old 04-18-2002, 07:34 PM
Administrator

is this good or bad?
Old 04-18-2002, 08:32 PM

I'm VERY curious what's driving this reformulation again. So far it seems like it's better than Tri-Synthetic. I wonder if their customer base was dropping off with the previous formula? I'm trying to find out more about if it's 100% synthetic again, and I don't just mean legally.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:51 PM

While I have an oil thread going, what are everyones thoughts about running 0W-30 in the summer? Too thin for the heat? I ran 0W in my previous car year round, but now I have a max. I think I might up it to 5W just to be safe.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by iwannabmw
I'm VERY curious what's driving this reformulation again. So far it seems like it's better than Tri-Synthetic. I wonder if their customer base was dropping off with the previous formula? I'm trying to find out more about if it's 100% synthetic again, and I don't just mean legally.
I just swapped to Mobil trisynthetic and man it was a heck of a difference, I can vouch for that, the supercharger was making this sharp whining noise I guess it was good for that too. I also ran a pretty good time considering that I had my 18s on as well. Mobil 1 tri I am sticking with that. As for that new one I will try it out next time if other members have a better experience with it then tri.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

I just swapped to Mobil trisynthetic and man it was a heck of a difference, I can vouch for that, the supercharger was making this sharp whining noise I guess it was good for that too. I also ran a pretty good time considering that I had my 18s on as well. Mobil 1 tri I am sticking with that. As for that new one I will try it out next time if other members have a better experience with it then tri.
Your Tri-Synthetic formula is GONE. Replaced by this new stuff. Better stock up if you like it that much.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by TheNip73
While I have an oil thread going, what are everyones thoughts about running 0W-30 in the summer? Too thin for the heat? I ran 0W in my previous car year round, but now I have a max. I think I might up it to 5W just to be safe.
A 0W-30 is almost identical viscosity wise to a 5W-30 when hot. They are both 30 weight oils. If you're in MN, I'm guessing you don't see temperatures higher than 90 that often. Unless the car has a history of running hot you should be fine with the 0W-30 year round.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:51 PM

Hey everyone, just to let you know Costco is carrying the old Tri Synthetic Mobil One 5w30 in their stores. Pretty cheap, around $3.75/qt (comes in a six pack case).

I bought three cases. Get it before its gone!
Old 05-17-2002, 12:59 PM

I just did my oil change yesterday with the new Super-Syn... I will let you know later if there's any difference (Anti-Wear )
Old 05-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Unfortunately I've read some early reports that suggest the oil may be getting "worse"

This oil has lower levels of zinc antiwear additives.

The oil manufactures are under pressure by the automakers and the EPA to reduce the amount of Zinc and phosphorous additives because they shorten catalytic converter life. These additives are what gives oil its antiwear properties, so reducing them is not be a good idea IMO.

Second I haven't been able to confirm this ye,t but they may have gone to more of the semi synthetic (highly refined base oils) in their mixture. Mobil lost a lawsuit to Castrol so they may have gone to refined base oils to compete with them.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by maxxed

Second I haven't been able to confirm this ye,t but they may have gone to more of the semi synthetic (highly refined base oils) in their mixture. Mobil lost a lawsuit to Castrol so they may have gone to refined base oils to compete with them.
The Tri-Synthetic was Mobil's reformulation in response to the Castrol lawsuit. I still have no idea what is behind the Super Syn change. I haven't heard anything official from Amsoil on the new formula besides the standard "we are still evaluating it."

On the topic of emission system life vs. reduced wear in the engine - Tnis is exactly what Amsoil has been saying all along. Screw the increased wear on the emissions system; it is more important and expensive to worry about the engine. So a catalytic converter might wear out at a 100k. It costs around $200 to replace and can be considered a performance mod as well.

This is also why there is a high level of phosphorus in their oil. They believe it is more beneficial to have that included as an anti-wear additive than it is to bow to the rest of the industry and API. Amsoil concentrates on making a better oil, not on selling every last bottle it possibly can.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:29 PM

Technology changes. Advances are being made everyday. Change is good.
I remember when removing lead from gasoline was suppose to cause an early death to all engines. How long has it been since lead was removed from gas? Do engines die quickly? NO!
And OBD2 was suppose to kill all performance mods....
The engineers worked it out then. And, they will work with the new formulas, technology, and changes now.
They will make the new oils with less zinc and less sulfur and less phophorous and less whatever the epa/dot/api/ilsac/nmma/sae/carb/bigbrother/....says they can't use. And the engines will last as long as ever(and longer), and the emissions systems will last and........

Why are we afraid of change?
Old 05-17-2002, 10:01 PM

Check out this link:

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/Mo...0?OpenDocument

According to the first sentence they are saying 100% synthetic base stocks...

Also check this one out:

http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/faq.jsp#faq4

Again Mobil is saying it's fully synthetic...

From what I'm reading at those two links, it seems like Mobil 1 has gone back to a toatally synthetic formula
Old 05-17-2002, 10:49 PM

I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago with Mobil's new SuperSyn, the 2 changes before that I had used the Tri formula.....one thing I noticed is that the Super Syn is a darker color.....which means nothing, but it still caught my eye.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GTB G2
Check out this link:

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/Mo...0?OpenDocument

According to the first sentence they are saying 100% synthetic base stocks...

Also check this one out:

http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/faq.jsp#faq4

Again Mobil is saying it's fully synthetic...

From what I'm reading at those two links, it seems like Mobil 1 has gone back to a toatally synthetic formula

Hmmm, this is starting to make me think I dont have to order Amsoil and Id be safe w/ the super syn. Who knows. Amsoil has all ready prooven to be superior.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

Hmmm, this is starting to make me think I dont have to order Amsoil and Id be safe w/ the super syn. Who knows. Amsoil has all ready prooven to be superior.
In regards to the full synthetic, Mobil claimed the tri-synthetic was a full synthetic as does Castrol. Legally they ARE a full synthetic, but are they same quality as the "old" Mobil 1, Amsoil or Redline? In that FAQ, one of things I didn't like is the mention of the proprietary additive package. In the old FAQ, they gave a lot more info on the formula and it makes me wonder what they are hiding by using a generic statement like that. All that being said, not much is known about SuperSyn at this point and it is too early to jump to conclusions about whether the change is good or bad from our standpoint.
Old 05-18-2002, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by deadrx7conv
Technology changes. Advances are being made everyday. Change is good.
I remember when removing lead from gasoline was suppose to cause an early death to all engines. How long has it been since lead was removed from gas? Do engines die quickly? NO!
And OBD2 was suppose to kill all performance mods....
The engineers worked it out then. And, they will work with the new formulas, technology, and changes now.
They will make the new oils with less zinc and less sulfur and less phophorous and less whatever the epa/dot/api/ilsac/nmma/sae/carb/bigbrother/....says they can't use. And the engines will last as long as ever(and longer), and the emissions systems will last and........

Why are we afraid of change?
Change is not always good, it depends on the reason driving the change. Is it truly an advance in technology or is it a way to squeeze more money out of the customer?

It's good to see more Altima guys wandering over here