General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Problem With Warranty/Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 06:19 PM

Problem With Warranty/Dealer

I change my own oil and I only have 21,000 miles on my car. 1998 Nissan Maxima. I tell the dealer I feel as if my tranny is slipping and if they could check it out. They were friendly enough and I got to talking to him about my warranty. The dealer goes my last oil change was 3 oil changes ago and I don't have any records of service done to my car.
He goes since I didn't have the 15,000 service done and I change my own oil with no record that my warranty if voided. He says Nissan can reject my warranty because of this and that I would have to talk to them about it.
WTF?
Service manager wasn't in so I am going in tomorrow to talk to him and I am not too worried because the warranty is a carmax warranty so I guess I can simply just bring it to carmax, but carmax told me I can do my repairs anywhere for $75 deductable.

Comments? Is this true?
Old 04-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Read the FAQ in the 4th gen forum. This is covered in there.

Also, read the actual text of the warranty in your owner's manual. You'll the dealer is full of crap.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A couple things for you.

1. When you bought the car, did the dealer sell you or was a promotion gimick "Free oil changes" or a certain number of oil changes at no charge? If you were given these items, then yes, technically you have voided the warranty. However, they are responsible to prove the oil used was not to Nissan standard. This will be very difficult for them to do, and much easier to just say no. Read the Moss/Magnuson act, otherwise known as the a warranty act. It can be found in many places, and one place I know where to look and read is on Banks website. Banks is a high performance diesel site, among other things. Sorry can't remember the web site address at this time.

2. If you have skipped or failed to perform certain items in the service manual, then yes, technically you have voided your warranty, on certain components. Again, it is easier for the dealer to say no, make you scratch your head, and move on without action.

3. You are not required to keep records of oil changes unless your oil changes are "Free" or "Dealer Promotion" type things. It is of course your choice being a consumer. Don't let the service guy tell you other wise. If he continues to bash you, ask to see his. Obviously such a high speed individual, like the service writter, would have that in the back pocket, right. NOT!!!

4. Do not lay down, roll over, and let them do this!!! If you have no success at the manager level, go higher. Do read, and re-read your original contract at time of purchase. Specifically look for anything that looks or resembles service issues, or requirements. Also, take the time and read through your owners manual for the same issues.

5. Now the kicker. Some owners manuals specify certain maintenance to be performed only at dealer level. That means that all us completely competent mechanics, and shade-tree mechs. can't possibly understand how things go together, and so on. If some of the service requirements state such a thing, yes, technically you have voided your warranty. Again, do not lay down, roll over and take this. Fight for your own personal satisfaction, not their pocket book satisfaction.

Good luck, and do keep us posted.

Bret
Old 04-23-2002, 05:05 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Bret,
Go back and read your Nissan Warranty and the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

Thanks...
Old 04-23-2002, 05:36 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by mzmtg
Read the FAQ in the 4th gen forum. This is covered in there.

Also, read the actual text of the warranty in your owner's manual. You'll the dealer is full of crap.
They are not full of crap. If you don't keep receipts or records of oil changes, the dealers and the manufacture can easily not fix anything wrong with the car. Means it hasn't been maintained properly. It's in the owners manual.

Old 04-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You must keep record of all oil changes and even services. Nissan dose not care who dose them just as long as they are done. Simply save the reciept of the oil and filter purchase, then document the milage on the reicept. Trust me, I have seen many claims denied do to lack of documentation.
Just a suggestion: Buy a Nissan filter
Old 04-24-2002, 05:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

They are not full of crap. If you don't keep receipts or records of oil changes, the dealers and the manufacture can easily not fix anything wrong with the car. Means it hasn't been maintained properly. It's in the owners manual.
Wrong. Failure to keep records does not mean that the car has not been maintained. Dealer must establish in a case like this that he didn't maintain the vehicle and, in most cases, that the failure to maintain the vehicle led to the problem.

It is different than having your warranty voided for abusing the vehicle!