General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Uneven settling of Eibach's -- FSTB at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 06:54 PM

Uneven settling of Eibach's -- FSTB at fault?

I installed a set of Eibach's on my 98 SE w/ the stock struts around October. Around the same time, I also installed an FSTB. Lately, after looking at my car, I noticed that the wheelgap between the front driver's and passenger's side wheels is different -- I verified this by measuring. The driver's side wheel is about a finger lower than the passenger's side.

Since I've made sure the springs were installed correctly, and I've got stock struts, and I've never heard of a similar problem, I think my FSTB is at fault. It's a Courtesy unit, and it's go no problems whatsoever -- I think I just installed it wrong. On the adjustment area where the threads are, there's significantly more thread showing on one side than the other, which leads me to believe that one side of my car is being "pulled up" by the FSTB.

Is this possible? Has anyone heard of anything like it? I'm going to try and fix it when I get home from University this weekend and see if my theory was right.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:55 PM

oh $hit ! that sucks man.

try taking out the FSTB and swapping the left and right springs and let it settle for a month and see what happens.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:35 AM
Ramius83

The FSTB probably is not the case Micah, since that mainly deals with the top of the suspension. This is going to sound odd, but how does your car remain parked during the day or night? Is it on a hill or anything of that nature. If not, try swapping the springs from the left to the right side and vice versus. Sorry I can't help you out too much. Maybe its just your stock struts saying no to the springs?

Old 04-23-2002, 04:39 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

what you need to do is re-install your springs and make sure that they seated the same way on both sides.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:01 AM

every corner will be a slightly different ride height; if u measured it stock it would be the same way. the FSTB has nothing to do with the springs.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by got rice?
every corner will be a slightly different ride height; if u measured it stock it would be the same way. the FSTB has nothing to do with the springs.
I agree 100%.

My driver side is about 1/8" lower than my passenger side.

My buddies Contour SVT is 1/4" lower on the driver's side than the passenger side.

However, the rear is exactlly the same.

I dont know why...but it seems to be somewhat common.

Brian
Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 AM

Hmmm, interesting thoughts, guys. The car remains parked in a variety of different ways since I park in a large dorm parking lot with a huge amount of variation in levelness of the ground. So, that shouldn't really be an issue.

I'm going to readjust the FSTB anyway since I imagine it should be aligned evenly and see if that does anything. If I have time, I'll take out the springs and switch sides and see if that does any good.

Guess Eibach's quality control leaves a bit to be desired? Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:58 AM

Did anyone ever think it was shocks ?
The fact that driver side is lower, points at blown shocks. more weight on that side and 1/8- 1/4" isn't all that bad.

As you mentioned your FSTB, that does not affect ride height, just camber, but the upper strut mount fits in tight, and has little to no movement.

Check your shock, cause I measured my 5th gen and its about right considering I got my AGXs put on a week ago.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
Did anyone ever think it was shocks ?
The fact that driver side is lower, points at blown shocks. more weight on that side and 1/8- 1/4" isn't all that bad.

As you mentioned your FSTB, that does not affect ride height, just camber, but the upper strut mount fits in tight, and has little to no movement.

Check your shock, cause I measured my 5th gen and its about right considering I got my AGXs put on a week ago.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if a car is stationary on a flat surface, shocks will have nothing to do with ride height? Shocks are just dampeners right??

Oh, btw, that SVT Contour is on stock springs and stock struts (about 30K miles).

Brian
Old 04-23-2002, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's shocks. I tried to measure it on as even a surface as possible, but I suppose that could be a factor. Guess I'll have to experiment.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Considering everyone's example has the driver's side lower. It wouldn't happen to be the 150-220lb sandbag that's doing the steering would it?
Old 04-23-2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Considering everyone's example has the driver's side lower. It wouldn't happen to be the 150-220lb sandbag that's doing the steering would it?
You know right when I measured the gap and it came up with the driver side lower, I thought it was lower because of the driver. Then I remembered, I was the driver and no one was in the drivers seat!!

I am guessing the engine/trans may not be 100% even weight on both sides. Maybe the driver side is a little heavier and thus the non-evenness?? A side affect of FWD??

Brian
Old 04-23-2002, 02:25 PM

Regarding the suspension setup from the factory, the driver side to passenger side weight distribution is often determined assuming there is a driver in the car (avg 180lbs.?). Seems logical considering the car will never be driven without a driver. Therefore if their is no one in the car I would suspect that the car would lean a bit towards the passenger side. If the lean is more towards the driver side with no one in the car something is definitely askew.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by TellschMax02

I agree 100%.

My driver side is about 1/8" lower than my passenger side.

My buddies Contour SVT is 1/4" lower on the driver's side than the passenger side.

However, the rear is exactlly the same.

I dont know why...but it seems to be somewhat common.

Brian
ditto, and I have H&R springs and Tokico shocks but they haven't settled yet so maybe it'll turn out fine
Old 04-23-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

But you probably do 95% of the driving w/ only the driver in the car. So after awhile, it *might* make that side of the car slightly sag even when no one is in the car.

I would make sure your springs are "clock" in the upper/lower perches. Or you can even go as far as swapping the l/r springs

You know right when I measured the gap and it came up with the driver side lower, I thought it was lower because of the driver. Then I remembered, I was the driver and no one was in the drivers seat!!

I am guessing the engine/trans may not be 100% even weight on both sides. Maybe the driver side is a little heavier and thus the non-evenness?? A side affect of FWD??

Brian
Old 04-24-2002, 05:18 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

uneven springs.

just had an alingment done on my car and i realized my rear end sits uneven. i will try swapping around the rear springs and see what results i get.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:54 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but if a car is stationary on a flat surface, shocks will have nothing to do with ride height? Shocks are just dampeners right??

Oh, btw, that SVT Contour is on stock springs and stock struts (about 30K miles).

Brian
Bunch of lemmings...think about it for a momment if you have blown shocks. The car will sag as much as 1/4" - 1/2"
Especially on Eibachs. The rate is progressive, but once they blow, and the first 1/2" of travel = lower spring rate than the next 1" of travel, the car will sag.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

Did you know Bill started w/ the "lemmings" comment?? hehe.

Anyway, is this just for gas filled shocks or does it apply to non-pressurized oil filled shocks?

Bunch of lemmings...think about it for a momment if you have blown shocks. The car will sag as much as 1/4" - 1/2"
Especially on Eibachs. The rate is progressive, but once they blow, and the first 1/2" of travel = lower spring rate than the next 1" of travel, the car will sag.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:29 AM

Did you know Bill started w/ the "lemmings" comment?? hehe.

Anyway, is this just for gas filled shocks or does it apply to non-pressurized oil filled shocks?

I know Bill, Started the Lemmings Comment, I was bored, and wanted to feel like a Moderator, to show a point.

Stock shocks....before my AGXs my car sat over a 1/4" LOWER w/ Stock shocks that have been on since 13K - 68K~!!~~!~!~!~!

Don't tell me blown shocks don't make a car sag. I could compress my stock shocks w/ my own two hands and they didn't even come back up. My AGXs 2/6 setting have been flawless, and I'm about to put the summer rims + spacers on.

-Still no License, so why bother ?

Old 04-24-2002, 09:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

Exactly where did I tell you blown shocks DIDN'T OR WOULDN'T make a car sag? Assumptions are........

BTW. I could compress my old Koni oiled filled shocks and they would not come back up either.

Don't tell me blown shocks don't make a car sag. I could compress my stock shocks w/ my own two hands and they didn't even come back up. My AGXs 2/6 setting have been flawless, and I'm about to put the summer rims + spacers on.

-Still no License, so why bother ?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:52 AM

Exactly where did I tell you blown shocks DIDN'T OR WOULDN'T make a car sag? Assumptions are........

BTW. I could compress my old Koni oiled filled shocks and they would not come back up either.

That was me who questioned that...

"Correct me if I am wrong, but if a car is stationary on a flat surface, shocks will have nothing to do with ride height? Shocks are just dampeners right??"

Notice the correct me if I am wrong part...which you did and now I understand. I was not sure before, thanks for the good info

Brian
Old 04-24-2002, 10:56 AM

Wasn't aimming that comment at you.

If I was, I'd say it differently.

BTW can you compress them fully by hand and not push the shock into the ground?

Did you read the original post about "Stock Shocks" and I was obviously talking about stock "gas" shocks, and you come with this Koni oil shocks blabber, might as well use R/C car Oil Shocks as an example.
Perhaps I will clarify it now, by saying I WAS TALKING ABOUT STOCK "gas" SHOCKS.
IF I wanted to get technical w/ you, then I'd debate with you on iatn.net. In the technicians fourm.

-ASSUMPTIONS ARE THE MOTHER OF ALL F-UPS.

Old 04-24-2002, 11:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

If I was, I'd say it differently.
Really how?

BTW can you compress them fully by hand and not push the shock into the ground?
Yes
Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 AM

Really how?
Use your imagination, I think you can assume what I'm gonna say.

Yes
Like a R/C Oil Shock.

-Go Figure.

Old 04-24-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Use your imagination, I think you can assume what I'm gonna say.

Maybe, but I don't want to assume

Like a R/C Oil Shock.
I don't own any RC cars so I can't really be referring to them in my example. Or did you assume that??

Anyway, how would pushing or not pushing them into the ground be relavant to the example? If you push fast, it might have alot of resistance. But if you apply low constant pressure, it will not. ie.. a car just sitting there over a period of time.

Don't worry about it, the guy will figure the problem out on his own
Old 04-24-2002, 12:02 PM

You're just a Stiff Head Individual.

Just like your shocks ?

-Is that an insult ? Will I be Banned ?