General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Big Time Rear Brake ISSUE!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 07:31 PM

Big Time Rear Brake ISSUE!!!!!!!

Ok here's my prob.

I'm tring to replace the rear set off pads and rotors on my friends 97 SE. Taking them off is easy. The hard part where i'm having all kinds of trouble, is having the calipar piston to retract.
Problem 1:
I can't really get the clamp to get a good grip on it, so I can try to make it retract. The dayum thing keeps loosing its grip. and I keep hitting my knuckles on the rotor "OUCH #@%^%@&%"
Problem 2:
I tried to bleed the brake so that it looses some pressure. But its not working either. I'm tempted to just drain the line to see if that'll work. But we don't have that much brake fluid to being with.

The emergency brake wasn't set. I'm thinking this thing has seezed up or something. Or just maybe its because I can't get the clamp to grip right so i'm not applying enough pressure to make the piston go back.

Has anyone else had this problem before? If so are there any tricks to help this job go by more smoothly? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

NeL
Old 04-23-2002, 07:35 PM

Just remembered

Also when I did take the rear set off. I noticed that the brake pads still looked almost brand new. From my past experience I've noticed that brake calipars the seeze up are usually caused from to much heat from them being so worn down. But I could be wrong. Like I said thats from my experience. Also is there a certain way to put the clamp on so it doesn't slid around?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

you have to twist while your push it back in, rear calipers are a ***** to put back on, i HATE doign them, just get some pliers and twist while you push the clamp on and the bleeder should be loose or out and it will go in. have fun.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

1 jack up rear of car, remove wheel. make sure EBRAKE is OFF.

this will be a bit tricky. remove the SPRING holding the ebrake lever in with tweezers.

3 remove the 14mm bolts holding in the piston from the caliper.

4 pull back on the lever that is holding the ebrake in (it's a line with a big *** hook) and remove the ebrake from the caliper.. so the whole thing is now loose and easy to move. there is a metal clip holding the ebrake cable in place, pop that out.

5 remove the stock pads, and remove the steel brackets that are one them. NOTE which side is in front and which pad is in back. CLEAN the brackets with brake clearner and hose down the caliper/piston with brake cleaner. scrub off all the crap on them, to reduce squeeling... transfer the brackets to the new pads. and put the new pads in the slots.

6 using plyers. TURN clockwise the piston to push it back into the caliper, so u can make it flush. this way, you'll have an easier time to push the piston back onto the new brake pads.

7 Putt the piston back onto the caliper, and tighten the 2 14mm bolts.

8 rehook the ebrake cable to the caliper and it's clip

9 reattach the spring that you took off.

10 tighten everything down. repeat to other side.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:47 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

http://home.earthlink.net/~msue2/Rearbrakes.htm