General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ground controls question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 11:24 PM

ground controls question

question: can't get rear thread sleeve over the split sleeve. should i use some kind of lubrication? or just keep trying to push the thread sleeve over it?
Old 04-28-2002, 07:44 AM

Re: ground controls question

Originally posted by vinny1978
question: can't get rear thread sleeve over the split sleeve. should i use some kind of lubrication? or just keep trying to push the thread sleeve over it?
Use white lithium grease or permatex industries "Teflon grease"

Lube the rubber gasket, and make sure you notice the inner notch must face down so the GC sleeve(red) fits over the lower "hump" of the shock.
After lubing the gasket, slide the sleeve over, here is a small trick I learned installing these: Get a hose clamp and clamp the bottom part of the gasket.(You'll see why later.)
Get the sleeve on as much as you can by hand.
You will need a rubber mallet for the next step, you have to start hammerring down the sleeve, evenly. The sleeve will go down, very slowly. When you get to the point of almost hitting the bottom hose clamp, take a sharp razor, and cut around the rubber gasket, then take off the hose clamp, hammer down the sleeve and rubber gasket.
Tricky part. Once you install these on the car, the car will settle, and you will have to get under there again to re-adjust them up. Its hard to say at this point what amount of drop you want, so I leave that up to you. Just remember to take stock hieght measurements.
If you have any further questions, feel free to email me.

-Peace