General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

question about resonator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 01:43 PM

question about resonator

Hey, I have a question about resonators. I am getting a Y-pipe, RT cat, and Magnaflow muffler for my 4th gen. I am thinking of a B-pipe as well. I hear that the combo will make my car insanely loud and drone on the highway. I don't mind insanely loud WOT. I don't want a drone, per se. I have heard that getting a bigger resonator is the way to go. What exactly is the resonator, and where is it? I have searched many threads and found nothing. Is it inside the B-pipe, or the muffler? Because I hear stories of people with completely new exhaust that is too loud, so they put their stock muffler on and it quiets down. Which makes it seem like the resonator is in the muffler. Can anyone help out, as well as tell me what to do if my set-up is too loud for my liking, and what to do about the B-pipe? I appreciate it.

Alex
Old 04-30-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: question about resonator

Originally posted by dental stud
Hey, I have a question about resonators. I am getting a Y-pipe, RT cat, and Magnaflow muffler for my 4th gen. I am thinking of a B-pipe as well. I hear that the combo will make my car insanely loud and drone on the highway. I don't mind insanely loud WOT. I don't want a drone, per se. I have heard that getting a bigger resonator is the way to go. What exactly is the resonator, and where is it? I have searched many threads and found nothing. Is it inside the B-pipe, or the muffler? Because I hear stories of people with completely new exhaust that is too loud, so they put their stock muffler on and it quiets down. Which makes it seem like the resonator is in the muffler. Can anyone help out, as well as tell me what to do if my set-up is too loud for my liking, and what to do about the B-pipe? I appreciate it.

Alex
The resonator is just aft of the cat. It's located in the b-pipe. The quietest aftermarket resonator that I know of is the A'PEXi WS, but that comes as a whole cat-back. If you get an aftermarket b-pipe and use a magnaflow muffler, chances are you are going to have a bad drone.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:22 PM

So with the stock B-pipe, it won't be too bad? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:29 PM

Not too bad. I have the same set-up but with an Apexi exhaust, and I set off car alarms in parking garages all the time. But a staright up B with no resonator can get quite loud from what I've heard.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:03 PM

The loudest set-up is the Y + aftermarket b pipe + aftermarket muffler. Yes it is loud and yes it does drone. If you want the most power gains with the least noise, Y + stock everything else. A little noise but not too bad, Y + aftermarket muffler. A little louder now, Y + aftermarket catback (still leaving resonator in)+ aftermarket muffler. Loudest, well I mentioned above.

No actually now that I think about it, loudest would be Y+testpipe+B pipe+no resonator+aftermarket muffler. That's loud as hell. Ask nismo 2020, he had that set-up for the races. When the video was posted and people here saw it, they all commented on how loud he was.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:22 PM

dental, how do you like those AVS intermediate tires? where did you get them and for how much?
Old 04-30-2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
The loudest set-up is the Y + aftermarket b pipe + aftermarket muffler. Yes it is loud and yes it does drone. If you want the most power gains with the least noise, Y + stock everything else. A little noise but not too bad, Y + aftermarket muffler. A little louder now, Y + aftermarket catback (still leaving resonator in)+ aftermarket muffler. Loudest, well I mentioned above.

No actually now that I think about it, loudest would be Y+testpipe+B pipe+no resonator+aftermarket muffler. That's loud as hell. Ask nismo 2020, he had that set-up for the races. When the video was posted and people here saw it, they all commented on how loud he was.
i was actually thinking about going that route (test pipe for races, no resonator, and straight thru muffler. how does it sound driving like that daily? nismo2020? any suggestions? will a straight exhaust with a resonator be aggressive?
Old 04-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Granny Driven

wELL, I have catback with aftermarket muflet no resanator and its cool for me. Its not that loud. I just cherp alarms but dont set them off So with your set up it will get pretty loud. Just keep the stock mufler and you will be ok.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by VQdriver
i was actually thinking about going that route (test pipe for races, no resonator, and straight thru muffler. how does it sound driving like that daily? nismo2020? any suggestions? will a straight exhaust with a resonator be aggressive?
\

If you go Y,test,no resonator,and straight muffler, you will be extremely loud. You will probably get pulled over loud. The resonator only tones it down slightly if you have a Y and aggressive muffler. I have Y, stock cat, no resonator, custom cat-back, and aggressive muffler and it's pretty loud.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:28 PM

thanks guys for the responses. And VQdriver, my AVS Intermediates are gone now. That sig needs some updating. I liked them pretty well, though. The turn-in was great and they seemed to have really stiff sidewalls. I say that because I replaced them with Dunlop SP Sport A2's and was surprised that the car felt so "squirrley". Don't get me wrong, Dunlops have as good an absolute limit as the Yoko's. They're just a little more roll to them. The Yoko's were 74 bucks at tirerack, and I think they're pretty much discontinuing them, but some are still to be found. I dunno, the Dunlops aren't bad at all, though. Better in the rain and 20 bucks cheaper per tire. Just take a little getting used to. I can now drive just as fast on them, though. Maybe faster.

Alex
Old 04-30-2002, 11:50 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

I've got a warpspeed y, and a greddy catback, with all resonators in the b pipe removed. It's really not that bad. It's not even close to the annoying "ricer drone." I like it because at cruising speeds, it's a pretty deep tone. But if u just don't want much droning, throw a stock muffler on, its the easiest way, with the least power loss
Old 05-01-2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
I've got a warpspeed y, and a greddy catback, with all resonators in the b pipe removed. It's really not that bad. It's not even close to the annoying "ricer drone." I like it because at cruising speeds, it's a pretty deep tone. But if u just don't want much droning, throw a stock muffler on, its the easiest way, with the least power loss
thanks guys. i'm still debating on the resonator. i definately do not want a stock muffler though. the peer pressure has gotten to me and i MUST have a catback!