General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Laminate prevents smash 'n grab

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Laminate prevents smash 'n grab

This stuff's been around for buildings for years to protect from burglars and hurricanes, but now they are marketing security laminate for cars. It's not cheap or tinted, but it does cut UV. Hmm, so how will they get you out of a wreck if you lock your doors and have this stuff on? Your car, the moveable fortress ...
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/3195992.htm
Old 05-04-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: Laminate prevents smash 'n grab

Isn't regular tint film a form of laminate as well?

I believe with the security laminate, the glass will still break but the laminate will prevent it from shattering. This prevents smash & go burglars.

However, what will stop a burglar with patience to remove the entire window?
(Remember, the window is smashed but held together by the laminate so now, you've got a flexible glass that will not injure).

I believe someone's Maxima got stolen that way ... the thief even laid the side window on the ground where the car had been parked. The tint film held the window in one piece and the thief merely pulled it out.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

usually, in buildings, the laminate is secured to the window frame, this keeps the broken glass and film secured to the frame to prevent entry.

This would be impractical ina car for obvious reasons. But I do like the security laminate for cars idea in general.

I suppose it's easier than replacing the windows with 1/2" polycarbonate...
Old 05-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My company had another company come in after we were broken into a couple of years ago with the same sort of stuff. They brought a window in a frame which had this laminate applied to it. The rep gave me a rock the size of a baseball and told me to throw it at the window. I threw it and the window did stay together, albeit shattered, but still held to the laminate. The only problem was that it separated from the frame of the window, pulling free if it, thus allowing uninhibited entry. That's when the excuses started - not enough curing time, should have been wrapped around the glass edge so it was grabbed by both the outer and inner window frame, glass not snug enough in the frame, etc. Needless to say, we went with bars on all of our windows at the office, and updated our security system (actually cool to view any section of the office from any web browser)

I think a car would present entirely new problems for this product to overcome. Ie - the film is quite thick, meaning that window up/down functionality may be eliminated.

It's a good product for offices/homes worried about hurricanes, etc. as the product's ability to reduce the chance of flying glass splinters is very good.

In conclusion, I need to mention that I have no experience with this new product, so maybe it is made of a wonder material that is the best of everything and actually does work. I just wanted to pass on my impressions of what looked to be promising for our offices but didn't quite provide results to match their claims.

Albert
Old 05-05-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by akrus
Needless to say, we went with bars on all of our windows at the office, and updated our security system (actually cool to view any section of the office from any web browser)
What's the URL?

Yeah, in a vehicle, I agree with mzmtg ... you cannt secure the glass to the frame. Well, except the front & rear and the little window on the back doors but what's the point ehh ...