General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Painting Turn Signal Bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 08:00 AM

Painting Turn Signal Bulbs...

Hey guys,

I think I read a thread a while back reguarding this, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Anyways, I have the clear corners on my car. For legality purposes, I have the orange bulbs in them. I want to get rid of the orange reflection in the light, but I still want them to blink orange. Can I paint the bulbs with a light coat of silver spray paint? I actually have a can sitting in the garage now, but I wasn't sure if it will damage the bulbs?

They don't heat up because they're never on solid for an extended period of time, so I should be ok to do this right?

Thanks!
-Nick
Old 05-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i've done it. get some high temperature resistance silver spray paint. what you want to do is cut an X into a piece of cardboard and "plug" your bulb into that X you cut. LIGHTLY begin to spray over the bulb with. you should not see any solid patches of silver. if you do, you've sprayed too much. get some paint thinner and try again. you should still be able to see color through the silver when you look up close to it.

the process shouldnt damage the bulbs since they dont run nearly as hot as headlamp bulbs do. just be sure that you dont spray the metal contacts, by covering them up (hence cutting the X in a piece of carboard.)

i've been driving around with my lights like this since last summer, and they still work fine. just be sure not to overspray or your lights will become very dim.