General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

So I've been thinking of coming back to the Maxima community...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximus1000
Yeah I certainly wish I would have gotten the HLSD option. I was just so happy to get such a nice roomy car that I snapped up the cheapie they had on the lot. Then again, all the others with HLSD had Bose, Nav, leather, etc and were around $30K. I got mine for $6000.00 less.

Is it possible to buy the HLSD afterwards at the dealer and have it put on?
i'm sure it's not cheap and now i know why your .09 ticks faster then me, your stripped out and i'm fat too. i bet that's almost 200 lbs.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:37 PM

Maybe so! I weigh 145lbs and my only options are the sunroof, wind deflector, floor mats, and splash guards. I bought the one they advertised in the paper for $23,999.99..... One thing I did notice is that you KILLED me on 60ft times. You were hitting 2.1s if I remember correctly while on my 14.2 run I hit a 2.275. With your 60 ft I could have at least hit a 14 flat. I dropped my front tires to 25psi....what were you running? BTW, whats the latest on the frankencar CAI or at least the custom heatshield. I'm anxious to buy!
Old 05-11-2002, 10:45 PM

Maybe so! I weigh 145lbs and my only options are the sunroof, wind deflector, floor mats, and splash guards. I bought the one they advertised in the paper for $23,999.99..... One thing I did notice is that you KILLED me on 60ft times. You were hitting 2.1s if I remember correctly while on my 14.2 run I hit a 2.275. With your 60 ft I could have at least hit a 14 flat. I dropped my front tires to 25psi....what were you running? BTW, whats the latest on the frankencar CAI or at least the custom heatshield. I'm anxious to buy!
me and matt are getting the heatshield prototype this week now that i have my car back and then it's a couple weeks to have it made up. and my 60foot times i don't know how i did ti but i weight 230 and my car weigts more then you sot i don't feel so bad anymore.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

hold up, what's that. i think we need to talk.

synki- i know we talked and sometimes i didnt' like my car but it's back and subtle changes and time apart have changed my mind. i had the grill painted body color and it's all waxed up and it's looks hot. i changed out all the brake fluid for DOT4 today and painted the calipers and i'm lowering it this week then i start prototyping the frankencar catback(eta 3 months and price of 500ish, all SS, all TIG welds, full polish, mandrel bends blah blah) the car is nice, rattle here and there, but the brakes i love, SO NICE. i did two brake checks with teh new fluid today in front of the same guys house and he was outside andstarted screaming at me. i loved it. i'm also going crazy with some paintnig of various parts, emax is clearing my lights for me(thanks again bro) and i hope to have lots of stuff out for them. you and me are connected synki, come back. i'm telling you this as a friend and from a 2k2 owner. we both had white auto 4th gens with 100shot and know the pains of no traction however too. my advice is to get one and get some good tires, BUT don't be a moron lke me and rush and not get the HLSD. i know you're looking semi stock, no leather, maybe no bose right??? get the HLSD though and over the winter when i start looking into DPI or wet kit i'll give you teh pointers this time. unless my plans for a S/C get off the drawing board. i looked at a WRX too and they are ok looking and fragile trannies and i know the way i drive and you to it won't hold up. i think you will be happy with a 2k2 6-spd, just get some 18's and some dynamat.
Is this coming from Steve???
Old 05-12-2002, 08:12 AM

hold up, what's that. i think we need to talk.

synki- i know we talked and sometimes i didnt' like my car but it's back and subtle changes and time apart have changed my mind. i had the grill painted body color and it's all waxed up and it's looks hot. i changed out all the brake fluid for DOT4 today and painted the calipers and i'm lowering it this week then i start prototyping the frankencar catback(eta 3 months and price of 500ish, all SS, all TIG welds, full polish, mandrel bends blah blah) the car is nice, rattle here and there, but the brakes i love, SO NICE. i did two brake checks with teh new fluid today in front of the same guys house and he was outside andstarted screaming at me. i loved it. i'm also going crazy with some paintnig of various parts, emax is clearing my lights for me(thanks again bro) and i hope to have lots of stuff out for them. you and me are connected synki, come back. i'm telling you this as a friend and from a 2k2 owner. we both had white auto 4th gens with 100shot and know the pains of no traction however too. my advice is to get one and get some good tires, BUT don't be a moron lke me and rush and not get the HLSD. i know you're looking semi stock, no leather, maybe no bose right??? get the HLSD though and over the winter when i start looking into DPI or wet kit i'll give you teh pointers this time. unless my plans for a S/C get off the drawing board. i looked at a WRX too and they are ok looking and fragile trannies and i know the way i drive and you to it won't hold up. i think you will be happy with a 2k2 6-spd, just get some 18's and some dynamat.
I hear ya Steve, I have still been thinking about it. I am going to re-road test the WRX & the Max and this time i will also be trying to test drive the CL-S 6spd (since they are had to come by).

I am alos interested in this turbo kit that Erik says he has been working on. We shall see.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: So I've been thinking of coming back to the Maxima community...

I'm never on AIM..

Originally posted by Synki

Whats going on man?! Long time to talk.

Im me next time you on AIM - Synki
Old 05-12-2002, 02:55 PM

I hear ya Steve, I have still been thinking about it. I am going to re-road test the WRX & the Max and this time i will also be trying to test drive the CL-S 6spd (since they are had to come by).

I am alos interested in this turbo kit that Erik says he has been working on. We shall see.
ya i like the WRX but i'm an options kinda guy a little bit. leather and Climate control stuff like that. the wrx is purpose built, plain and simple too bad their trannies sucks. and the other thing is i HAVE to have some light from up top, t-tops, convert, sunroof and you can't get a roof on a WRX. if they had a roof i could have dealt with the rest. the CL-S 6-spd is also supposed to be very nice, i would drive one too if i was you, acura finally did something right even though i like the crazy look of the maxima better and that's why i didn't think of waiting. i like the wow, that's different but hot look. not the wow, that's nice of an acura.

and val i think i'm more dissatisfied with nissan service then i am with the car. the car isn't THAT bad byut nissan service ABSOLUTELY SUCKS HORRIBLLY BAD, THEY SUCK. and that turns me off mopre then anything else.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Ramius83

255hp + 100 N20 = A Happy Synki

Old 05-12-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83

and a 125 dpi means a happy steve i just need to get a intake manifold to tap.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Ramius83

and a 125 dpi means a happy steve i just need to get a intake manifold to tap.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
I miss my 100 shot. Nothing like driving form a roll and punching it and having 1st & 2nd spin all the way through in an auto.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:44 AM
Granny Driven

I miss my 100 shot. Nothing like driving form a roll and punching it and having 1st & 2nd spin all the way through in an auto.
Why not get a used 98-99 5spd. It will be much cheaper then buying new. your still young you will have time to buy a new car. Why barrie yourself with payments?
Old 05-13-2002, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

C'mon. Take a Base SE, add and RSB and FSTB. $200. That setup will change our suspension alot for the better. That's what I did on my SE for its 1st 100,000 miles.

While the power may be somewhat similar between the S4 and 2K2 6spd Max....you are going to weep uncontrollably when you captain the boat known as Max. Ofcourse, a couple grand in springs, shocks, sway bars, tires, etc will solve that. Now obviously a FWD wont stick like an AWD car, but the Max is night and day with suspension mods. I'm still in the process of dialing in my car 'just right'. As others have said, the biggest fault of the 2K2 Max is the open diferential (on non-HLSD). Just wait until Quaife comes out with a limited slip.......its on then.

tifosiv122, I hope you are being for real about a turbo kit. Check your e-mail!
Old 05-21-2002, 05:26 PM

Dude, 1995 M3, $17K for a very nice 95 m3(meaning good miles). Supercharger is $5K, plus $2k for install and you got 380 Hp right there, with the best handling chassis there is. Slap on a $500 cat back, and your upto 400. I dont remember if you like the M3 in particular, but for the money, looks, handling, well it has the best of evrything basically. Just get a good one, do the proper fixes/recalls on engine, and it'll be awesome, for under $30K!
Old 05-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The WRX is a sweet car, but I know of many people that have seriously considered buying one but have backed out for various reasons. I'm one of them.

The WRX is extremely small, not luxurious at all, and without mods or abusive launches it's really not even all that fast from a roll because of the high parasitics on the AWD drivetrain. I wanted room and luxury, but also speed. It had one of those out of three so it just wasn't the right car for me.

I got my 99 Maxima instead of a WRX and I'm glad I did. Couldn't get the 2k2 6spd because I didn't bloody fit! :-( $100/mo lower payments and over a 1yr shorter term. I'm extremely pleased with the car and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. I hoped it would be as fast as a WRX from a roll, and sure enough I ran into one one day and we were dead even from 30-80 so I'm a happy camper.

But according to Hogan this guy is running 13.0 @ 107 now!

Get whatever makes you happy.

But hell, if you already have/had 2 Maxima's you might as well get something different just to mix it up a bit. You even said that's what you might want. Variety is the spice of life. Otherwise you'll end up like my parents who at one point had 85, 90, 98, and 00 Toyota Camry's all sitting in their driveway!! LOL They sold the 85/90 but still have the 98/00's.

[devil's advocate] I say get a CL-S 6spd [/devil's advocate]

Old 05-22-2002, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I hoped it would be as fast as a WRX from a roll, and sure enough I ran into one one day and we were dead even from 30-80 so I'm a happy camper.

[devil's advocate] I say get a CL-S 6spd [/devil's advocate]

Up to around 100 you'll stay with a WRX, but after that ... bye bye. I've learned from first hand experience, while racing my friend.

And I agree.. CL-S 6spd
Old 05-22-2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

Up to around 100 you'll stay with a WRX, but after that ... bye bye. I've learned from first hand experience, while racing my friend.

And I agree.. CL-S 6spd
I hope you aren't saying that the WRX will walk a 4th gen 5-speed after 100mph...becuase I would DEFINITELY disagree.
I've walked a couple in the past all the way up to 130-140.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I hope you aren't saying that the WRX will walk a 4th gen 5-speed after 100mph...becuase I would DEFINITELY disagree.
Was that with or without Nitrous? BTW, how is the new engine coming along?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:46 AM

So much for Russ' 27,000 figure he's using.

I bought the one they advertised in the paper for $23,999.99
Old 05-22-2002, 10:58 AM

Hey Dashing max are you still in the clear tail group deal that big ham is having?

Originally posted by dashingMax

Was that with or without Nitrous? BTW, how is the new engine coming along?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by AltyPaul
So much for Russ' 27,000 figure he's using.

Yeah, I believe the sticker was around $27K.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:59 AM

He uses street price on the CL-S and sticker on the Max.

Yeah, I believe the sticker was around $27K.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:01 AM

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking in the back of my mind. The AWD becomes more and more just heavy baggage the faster you go. The turbo effect should offset this, but the stock WRX turbo is known to be weak up top, built for quicker low end spool up.

DW

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Old 05-22-2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking in the back of my mind. The AWD becomes more and more just heavy baggage the faster you go. The turbo effect should offset this, but the stock WRX turbo is known to be weak up top, built for quicker low end spool up.
DW
Oh no!! The VW/Audi 1.8T...yes...
The WRX, however, sucks on the low end.
WRX has extremely low compression 8:1. On top of that it has the Mitsubishi TD04 Turbo which are relatively big. Can handle up to 350 HP. The stock WRX ECU reduces the amount of boost past 5500 rpm...for safety reasons. So the dam thing spools up past 3500 rpm & goes down past 5500. I know, it sucks.

The good news is that with an Uppipe, Boost Controller, Pulley & Unichip, you can have full boost from 2500 rpms, all the way to redline (6500). That is your daily driven 13-sec car with less than $1000 in aftermarket bolt-ons.

Synki - In fact I am dreading to see what you will do to your Subie. Did somebody say "11 seconds"?!
Old 06-05-2002, 01:30 PM

WRX has extremely low compression 8:1. On top of that it has the Mitsubishi TD04 Turbo which are relatively big. Can handle up to 350 HP. The stock WRX ECU reduces the amount of boost past 5500 rpm...for safety reasons. So the dam thing spools up past 3500 rpm & goes down past 5500. I know, it sucks.

The good news is that with an Uppipe, Boost Controller, Pulley & Unichip, you can have full boost from 2500 rpms, all the way to redline (6500). That is your daily driven 13-sec car with less than $1000 in aftermarket bolt-ons.

Synki - In fact I am dreading to see what you will do to your Subie. Did somebody say "11 seconds"?!

Im kinda curious to see what i can do myself.

So i ended up wiht a 02 Silver 5spd WRX sedan.

I will also be trading in the 99 Max for a 02 SE.

So I will be "kinda" back in the Maxima community.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:33 PM

Im kinda curious to see what i can do myself.

So i ended up wiht a 02 Silver 5spd WRX sedan.

I will also be trading in the 99 Max for a 02 SE.

So I will be "kinda" back in the Maxima community.
Save the money which you will spend for the 02 Max. Get the stage 4 kit from TurboXS. A new ACT clutch & some gauges. Happy 12 sec WRX!
Congratulations
Old 06-05-2002, 01:38 PM
//M5'ver

whats his mom going to drive?

Save the money which you will spend for the 02 Max. Get the stage 4 kit from TurboXS. A new ACT clutch & some gauges. Happy 12 sec WRX!
Congratulations

Old 06-05-2002, 01:44 PM

Whoah, that's some badass potential there Subaru may have boost control past 5k rpms to prevent drivers doing a high revved clutch dump which could completely destroy the clutch and/or tranny I can just imagine the stress the AWD driveline goes thru.

DW

Old 06-05-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Whoah, that's some badass potential there Subaru may have boost control past 5k rpms to prevent drivers doing a high revved clutch dump which could completely destroy the clutch and/or tranny I can just imagine the stress the AWD driveline goes thru.
DW
The driveline seems solid. Most of the beating is taken by the transmission gears. The first things that go are the syncros...even before the clutch!
Old 06-05-2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
whats his mom going to drive?
She'll drive the 02 every now and then. She is driving my 92 Max right now since he works in the city.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:28 PM

The driveline seems solid. Most of the beating is taken by the transmission gears. The first things that go are the syncros...even before the clutch!
You sure your not the one driving the WRX?

Dashing is right, the WRX comes with the TD04 and it does have potential. The car doesnt have a "great" low end but it does move. Usualy boost drops off around 6K or so. The ECU loves to pull timing so that is one of the reasons why it drops so early (7K redline). This is nothing a few mods cant fix. The internals of the tranny isnt as strong as many has hoped but Subaru is working on that.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:27 AM

IHI VF30, upped injectors, new rails, new pump, ECU, INJen CAI, HKS SSQ BOV, run 100octane...

Shoulda gotten A/T...above mods torque brake, boost builds 1.0bar off the launch, easy, spin all 4 wheels for 10-20ft and hit 60 in about 4 seconds, proceeding to 100 in about another 3.0 seconds, on the way to a 12.58 1/4mi.

Who says you need 5spd ?

-Need4boost eh Synki ?

Old 06-06-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
IHI VF30, upped injectors, new rails, new pump, ECU, INJen CAI, HKS SSQ BOV, run 100octane...

Shoulda gotten A/T...above mods torque brake, boost builds 1.0bar off the launch, easy, spin all 4 wheels for 10-20ft and hit 60 in about 4 seconds, proceeding to 100 in about another 3.0 seconds, on the way to a 12.58 1/4mi.

Who says you need 5spd ?

-Need4boost eh Synki ?
I missed not having stick. I know autos are faster in the long run but im not going to be dragging this as much as the Max. (damn tranny)

And yes Hogan, i have the "Need4Boost".

Can you get cheap WRX aftermarket parts Hogie?
Old 06-06-2002, 02:00 PM

There is soooo much competition with WRX aftermarket, that you can get pretty good deals on things. One thing I've noticed is not to go by the advertized price on smaller shops websites. Call 'em or email them (phone call preferred) & they WILL negotiate.
I have several links for inexpensive WRX parts. Let me know what you are looking for & I can post the links/contact info of the vendors.

I do not have a WRX...but I wanted one soooo bad. I can even afford it. I spend countless hours planning my "perfect" WRX. Maximum performance with minimum compromise on reliability. Unfortunately everyone, including family discouraged me from getting one. I went all the way to signing on the dotted line at the Subaru dealer, but the thought of letting my Max go, made me walk out. Yeah, I know...I know...let's not go there

So, now I am cooking a "perfect" (fingers crossed) supercharger for my Max. Wish me luck...

If I can be of help in any way, shoot me an email.
bobby_dash@hotmail.com
Old 06-06-2002, 04:20 PM

I missed not having stick. I know autos are faster in the long run but im not going to be dragging this as much as the Max. (damn tranny)

And yes Hogan, i have the "Need4Boost".

What do you need, worse comes to worse, contact Accurit, you should know him by now on I-club.

-www.accuritperformance.com

Old 06-06-2002, 05:21 PM

::cough:: june 9th meet ::cough::
Old 06-06-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
::cough:: june 9th meet ::cough::
[cough] mao ? [/cough]

Old 06-06-2002, 07:50 PM

wha?
Old 06-07-2002, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
wha?

Old 07-08-2002, 10:13 PM

dont flame me

but for the price you might be able to pick up a Skyline for about 35k or so. Why not that? This is a car you dont have to mod much..just cruise and watch ppl drool...

Quick Reply: So I've been thinking of coming back to the Maxima community...