General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To Max or Not to Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

To Max or Not to Max?

Just wanted to get the feel of hte crowd, and I'm sure this has prolly been asked, but.. call me lazy

I'm in an eternal struggle of deciding between a Maxima SE preferably 99-02, or an Audi A4 1.8T (quattro of course) 99-00.

I really really really love the quattro system, but the max has more power stock, but Audi's are so much more rare (in my area at least, then again Birmingham, AL doesn't have a whole lot to offer). Every 1/8th of a mile there is a Maxima, whether its one of the maxima.org types or not, its still a Maxima.

I guess overall, I'm weighing quattro and rarity vs. overall performance and reliablity of Maxima. I don't plan on doing any body kits for either car. I do plan on some well placed performance mods on both, as well as new wheels/tires. I've just heard horror stories of used A4's as well as some horror stories of used Maxima's.

Oh well, I"m just rambling on. THe Audiworld crew prolly hates me for asking so many questions about A4's and performance and reliablity. I've just never owned a car worthy of "street racing" And I'd love to be able to roll up next to a riced out civic, integra, accord, whatever, and punch it and kick their ****!

Ok, I'm through, oh and doesn't Jamie own an Audi S4? I keep meaning to see what he drives when he comes by where I work to get copies, but I'm always so friggin busy. Maybe I'll just ask him next time.

Peace, and I love hearing about all the kill lists you maxima owners have.

-replicant
Old 05-07-2002, 12:52 AM

Re: To Max or Not to Max?

Yuck,

I just realized how friggin long that post was.. Sorry ladies and gents. Read it if you want, comments are of course MOST welcomed.

-replicant
http://carpc.signalcreations.com
Old 05-07-2002, 12:56 AM

I love Audi's and VW's. You can get some serious power if you chip the 1.8T and do some other upgrades. Enough power to beat a Maxima even .

However, the reliability of the Maxima is hands down better than Audi or VW. The turbo engine itself can be unreliable, especially if you decide to up the boost.

If I had some money to spend, I would definetely buy the Audi, just because its classier and I love the interiors on those cars, but for reliability, speed, and reasonably good looks, the Maxima is the way to go.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:02 AM

...and the Max is roomier than the A4.

Yeah, a while ago someone posted a reliabilty sheet with new cars 01-02s serviced at dealerships... I believe a few Audis were on that list...

Just buy whatever you think will make you happy in the long run. If you get a Max, you can hang out here & spend tons of money on mods

G
Old 05-07-2002, 06:06 AM
Administrator

If you come to a Maxima board to ask that question.. then you must feel really strong about the A4.. so i say.. screw the Maxima and get an A4
Old 05-07-2002, 06:50 AM

If you have the $$ go with the S4, but I would DEF get the A4 over the max
Old 05-07-2002, 11:21 AM

wow

Thanks guys for all the replies. I guess right now it just boils down to price, and if I can find the exact used max or a4 that I want. I'll defintely keep you all posted (like you really care that much). heh. Anyway, either eway I'm still gonna hang out here for sure. I still love hearing about all the battles you all have with the Maximas.

Thanks again,
replicant
My Dodge Intrepid with CarPC Installed
Old 05-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Re: wow

Originally posted by replicant
Thanks guys for all the replies. I guess right now it just boils down to price, and if I can find the exact used max or a4 that I want. I'll defintely keep you all posted (like you really care that much). heh. Anyway, either eway I'm still gonna hang out here for sure. I still love hearing about all the battles you all have with the Maximas.

Thanks again,
replicant
My Dodge Intrepid with CarPC Installed
no need to be nice to the ppl here.. none of them ain't **** .. but me and couple others
Old 05-07-2002, 01:04 PM

You're right Sprintmax, that's what you are, and nothing else. Just a pile of stinking ****. "The ****"

Chip the A4.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:47 PM

A4

Old 05-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by bidnizman
You're right Sprintmax, that's what you are, and nothing else. Just a pile of stinking ****. "The ****"

Chip the A4.

you know you are a big man around here when newbies hate on you

i am a celebrity
Old 05-07-2002, 05:57 PM

the cool thing is..

I was reading up on some of the Maxima vs. A4 debate at the audiworld.com forum, and the cool thing is, each side is cool with the other side. But over all I think I'm more leaning to the A4 like sprintmax said, I had already convinced my self of it. But anyway, I still love both the A4 and the Maxima. Who knows, like I said, depending on price, I may still end up getting a Maxima.

Thanks again for the suggestions and the input
Oh have many of you raced A4's before? I'm sure a lot of you have, I just haven't read about them.

Peace,

-replicant
Dodge Intrepid CarPC
Old 05-07-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

you know you are a big man around here when newbies hate on you

i am a celebrity