General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone here go to Carshows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000 | 05:08 PM

What's the format on these? Do you have to "apply," or can all cars who enter go? Where do I find out about car shows in my area or around it? (DC). Thanks.
Old 11-28-2000 | 05:13 PM
vapors smx

It depends-->

It depends on how big the car show and what the theme is. We used to go alot to look at the concept cars and maybe an import show or two. Maybe it is just us but we got tired of going to a lot of the import shows. Maybe 5-10% had any real performance mods, while the rest were the kind of cars that, and I am sorry to say this, we laugh at. I guess it depends on taste.

Go to your local tuner, they usually have some idea of what shows are coming.
Old 11-28-2000 | 08:38 PM

Originally posted by MaxRod33
What's the format on these? Do you have to "apply," or can all cars who enter go? Where do I find out about car shows in my area or around it? (DC). Thanks.
you've got plenty of time to find out more since the import scene is dead up here in the NE lol next shows won't be until April

you can pre-register at some, but most just register the date of the event. the larger events should be pre-registered, though (ie Hot Import Nights).

There aren't many down in the DC area besides the stuff going on at MIR (a few NIRA and Battle events).

Format varies from show to show, but most import ones are about toys and stuff rather than cleanliness.
Old 11-28-2000 | 08:55 PM

I am usually attending many car shows. Shows vary.... some you need to pre-register and others you can register on the spot. When you pre-register you will usually get a cheaper cost. At big car shows, you should arrive early so you can park at a good spot. And always keep that max shinning like a mirror =)
Old 11-28-2000 | 08:59 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have been going to import car shows for the past two years. There are bunch of local ones. Host by MIR, NIRA or various tuner shops. There are some more up in NJ/PA/DE area. I will have a complete list of North East shows up on my web site as I get the info. As right now, only Hot Import Nights and Carlise have dates up. These are the big ones that attract around 250-300 cars. Like Phoung said, it's usually about who has the most toys and not about quality. Only two organizations judge by quality is NIRA and Import Show off.

Old 11-28-2000 | 09:22 PM

Yeah, quality is overlooked a lot. At most of the shows I go to, the cars look insane from a distance, but at anything closer than 10 ft. they look ghetto as hell. A lot of these guys have spent crazy amounts of money buying parts and like no time or money installing them. Body kits that aren't painted, aftermarket wings bolted on badly, removed body moldings without filling the holes, etc. Most smaller events allow registration onsite, but the bigger ones are usually preregister.
Old 11-28-2000 | 09:26 PM

the Z shows that I go to judge on cleanliness rather than toys. The judges go through the vehicle nitpicking EVERYTHING. My buddy lost two points for having some dirt stuck on the pedals, then another point for having some dust in the glove box jam. These guys check for brake dust behind each spoke, not just at the visible parts.

These shows generally have 30-40 cars, so the judges can afford to go through each one with more detail, whereas the import shows have 300-400 cars, so they don't have the time to nitpick everything. Yeah, if the bodykit is crooked or if the car has dents, bullet holes, etc.. they'll lose points LOl but most judges still go by tricked out interiors and tricked out exteriors. Whomever has the most $$$ spent on the car usually gets the top honors.
Old 11-28-2000 | 11:19 PM

Cool. Tony keep us updated about shows on the DC Max site. Also, I will check your web site. My car isn't anywhere near yours, but maybe we can get some other DC Maxes together and go together? n/m

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I have been going to import car shows for the past two years. There are bunch of local ones. Host by MIR, NIRA or various tuner shops. There are some more up in NJ/PA/DE area. I will have a complete list of North East shows up on my web site as I get the info. As right now, only Hot Import Nights and Carlise have dates up. These are the big ones that attract around 250-300 cars. Like Phoung said, it's usually about who has the most toys and not about quality. Only two organizations judge by quality is NIRA and Import Show off.

Old 11-29-2000 | 12:14 AM
STFU n00b!

Of the few shows I've been to in the Oklahoma area, they will judge on a little of everything.. first, they look at who's got what toys.. then they go with who installed them the best.. if there's still not a clear "winner", they'll get out the white glove and start looking..
usually I'm pretty much out of contention up front because I don't have THAT much in the way of mods; what I do have is really damn clean, and installed well. At one show when they started going over my car with the white glove, they couldn't even find brake dust on my pads! ;-)
the only thing they caught me on was the couple drops of oil dripping off my crank pulley cause the seal is blown. (no way in hell I'm gonna pull the timing belt to replace a $3 seal!)
blah blah..
there's not that many shows here, but there are a few.. spit shine that **** and go have fun.. that's what it's all about.