General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The ideal Maxima for autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 07:06 PM

The ideal Maxima for autocrossing

As you can see by my sig., 90% of my mods are for suspension/handling. I've really gotten addicted to autocrossing. I'll be competing in my fifth event this weekend in St. Louis, and this will be my first event with all my suspension mods (springs, shocks, sway bars). I hope to do really well since I've been at least mid pack and more often placing in the top 1/4 in my class while I was mostly stock. So my question is, what other mods can make my car more competitive while keeping it in a class where I'm not killed....such as SM.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:12 PM

You own in AutoX, that is all.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:23 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

maybe better tires. I have the kumho's , they just take to long to warm up IMHO and could hold a little better
Old 05-07-2002, 07:48 PM

Get some racing tires...
Old 05-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As Highlander mentioned Race tires will help you a LOT. Look at the class you want to run in and decide what mods are even allowed. STS is a good class to run in overall, but personally I wanted to add a Ypipe and the variable intake (for track and street) so that bumps me to DSP. Street Prepared is the highest you want to be unless you want to spend a lot of money though.
-hype
Old 05-07-2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
You own in AutoX, that is all.
that was veetec
Old 05-07-2002, 08:05 PM
Conecarver

Re: The ideal Maxima for autocrossing

Originally posted by Maximus1000
As you can see by my sig., 90% of my mods are for suspension/handling. I've really gotten addicted to autocrossing. I'll be competing in my fifth event this weekend in St. Louis, and this will be my first event with all my suspension mods (springs, shocks, sway bars). I hope to do really well since I've been at least mid pack and more often placing in the top 1/4 in my class while I was mostly stock. So my question is, what other mods can make my car more competitive while keeping it in a class where I'm not killed....such as SM.
Driving lessons or competition alignment. Seriously, the driver makes 90% of the difference. Let a seasoned sedan driver take your max for a couple of runs (ride w em). Bet their time is a few seconds faster than you. More than most mods you can find.
P.S. If I find something that does that extra 10% I'll let you know!
Old 05-07-2002, 08:31 PM

I autocrossed my maxima a few times at my college's sports car club autocrosses.....i DQed the first time I raced (Yes, all 4 runs), and I won the second one....so my car was pretty jacked for autocrosses too...either that or i'm a good driver....

-Mike
Old 05-07-2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

that was veetec
Well, that was both of us actually. He took first and I took third. Ofcourse he has quite a few more years of driving experience and since he is a police officer, hes been through NUMEROUS driving courses. I rode with him on his runs and I learned alot. Thus my times improved.

I've thought about R-compound tires since my Kumhos are already showing significant signs of wear. It would be expensive to buy another set of wheels/tires though.

I'm going to an Evolution Driving School in Atlanta June 1st. I also plan to run in any events near me as well as planning a trip to the Bob Bourdant High Performance School at the end of summer.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:27 AM
Conecarver

I'm going to an Evolution Driving School in Atlanta June 1st. I also plan to run in any events near me as well as planning a trip to the Bob Bourdant High Performance School at the end of summer.
Exellent!
I did the Phase1 fall of '00in WI. 35+ timed runs timed in 5 split segments. You will learn where to improve and really get to know your cars limits (if the 6sp has any limits). Phase2 for me coming on 5/19.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by BEJAY1

Exellent!
I did the Phase1 fall of '00in WI. 35+ timed runs timed in 5 split segments. You will learn where to improve and really get to know your cars limits (if the 6sp has any limits). Phase2 for me coming on 5/19.
One of my biggest problems early in the year was dealing with low speed understeer. When the it would start, I would just back off too much. Now, I've semi-mastered the technique of tapping the breaks to bring the rear around a little and also throttle modulation to keep the front and back in check. What I really need is an instructor or pro to teach me how to drive the correct line. Thats what the EVO school is for. I cant wait.

I just got my suspension work done hours ago and boy, its like night and day. I figure if I was less than a second or two off everyones best times, I'll be on their **** hard now!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:40 AM

autoX is fun... I am one of the few cars that have OWNED S2000s in my events... I'm in CSP and I have never finished worse than 3rd place.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by theblue
autoX is fun... I am one of the few cars that have OWNED S2000s in my events... I'm in CSP and I have never finished worse than 3rd place.
Just to wonder why are you DSP? I thought all Maximas were DSP
-hype
Old 05-08-2002, 01:13 PM

The rules are kinda fishy on the 2002s at least. When I was bone stock I was considered G-stock. I dont know how accurate that was. When I had just frankencar intake (which is a change of intake plumbing) and my SSRs and Kumhos (235 width bumped me up) I was put in DSP. The good thing is, that after all my other suspension mods, I'm still in DSP. Incidentally, the class was ALOT tougher in G-stock than DSP.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure why hes in CSP.....maybe a typo.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:20 PM

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/gen4subframes.htm

SuDZ
Old 05-08-2002, 01:29 PM

Okay, added to wishlist. BTW, my car is a 5th gen, but I guess, according to their website, they have them for the 5th gens as well.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:39 PM

Okay, added to wishlist. BTW, my car is a 5th gen, but I guess, according to their website, they have them for the 5th gens as well.
Whoops use this link then
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/sfcgen5/sfcgen5.htm

I went to 4th gen out of habbit.

SuDZ
Old 05-08-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Whoops use this link then
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/sfcgen5/sfcgen5.htm

I went to 4th gen out of habbit.

SuDZ
If you plan to stay competitive in your class don't get SFCs. Stage 1 SFCs will bump you up to SM1.
"F. Subframe connectors are allowed, but each connector must be attached individually without any lateral components attaching the two longitudinal frame rails. Subframe connectors may be bolted or welded ".
Stage 2 SFCs may even bump you above SM1 and SM2 since you can't have any longitudinal frame connectors in either class.
-hype
Old 05-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I tried it this weekend. Because I have springs and shocks (and lots of other things), they bumped me to Znovice...but all the novices ran together numerically where I was, so it didn't matter. I took it real easy on the car for a number of reasons, but I had a casualty and probably won't be ready for the next meet.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:36 PM

for auto people that autocross, do you manual shift the lever to hold hte car in gear during corners and stuff?
Old 05-09-2002, 04:33 AM

for auto people that autocross, do you manual shift the lever to hold hte car in gear during corners and stuff?
I just left o/d off so that it wouldn't want to creep into 4th.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:52 AM

I don't manually shift because I find it too easy to go past the gear you want with the stock shifter. I just put it in 2nd and leave it there. The A/T will still downshift to 1st and will start in 1st. Since the tranny won't shift above 2nd, this will decrease the lag time in downshifts when you transition from braking to acceleration.

I have never hit the rev limiter on any autocross I've been on. You can get about 80 mph in 2nd and most courses are designed for a max speed of 50-60 mph.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:02 AM

The rules are kinda fishy on the 2002s at least. When I was bone stock I was considered G-stock. I dont know how accurate that was. When I had just frankencar intake (which is a change of intake plumbing) and my SSRs and Kumhos (235 width bumped me up) I was put in DSP. The good thing is, that after all my other suspension mods, I'm still in DSP. Incidentally, the class was ALOT tougher in G-stock than DSP.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure why hes in CSP.....maybe a typo.

G stock, in 01, was one of the most competitive classes due to the introduction of the WRX. In that class also you would find the Integra Type Rs
Old 05-09-2002, 08:35 AM

This was my first time out. For the first half of the day it was nice out, but for the second (mine) half it was pouring, as is evident in the photo, so the second half was way off on times from the first half...

I have an auto with the Tok blues and Intrax springs and an FSTB and obviously it's a third gen so I have the IRS as well. 1998 se rims with 225/50zr16 kumhos as well (which I think helped a bit in the rain with there design and all) I also have CAI, Y, Cat, and greddy sp cat back. I did pretty well I would have to say for the first time in the rain, I ran three times, and the last time I was 10 seconds faster then my first time on a completely clean run. this was SCCA slush series this winter.

Mine is an auto and because of the track speeds I left mine in 2nd the whole time.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:40 AM

Question about the driving school....

Do they have that evolution one or any others up here in the NorthEast.....I've been wanting to do something over at Lime Rock Park....like take my maxima out on the track...hehe....but i'd love to take a racing class....

-Mike
Old 05-09-2002, 09:16 AM

Re: The ideal Maxima for autocrossing

i noticed my flywheel and udp really helped out of the corners. i can leave it in 2nd and the motor doens't bog nearly as badly. I run autox pretty frequently as well. .. . goodluck!
Old 05-09-2002, 09:58 AM
SLOW

Get a 4th gen GXE 5 speed... it's lighter hehehe.

Seriously though, looking at your mods list tires was the first thing I noticed. New tires would help, those Kumhos aren't up to par for AutoX.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Get a 4th gen GXE 5 speed... it's lighter hehehe.

Seriously though, looking at your mods list tires was the first thing I noticed. New tires would help, those Kumhos aren't up to par for AutoX.
Maybe they're V700s
-hype
Old 05-09-2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by xHypex

Maybe they're V700s
-hype
No, unfortunately, there Kumho Supra 712s. The more I run them, the less satisfied I am with them. They are alot better than the OEM RE92s, but nots as sticky or incredible as alot of folks make them out to be. I dunno what will be my next tire. I'm really hesitant to go to R-compound since its a giant hassle to switch tires on the same rims before and after each event or too expensive to buy ANOTHER new set of rims just for R-compound tires. I'm thinking of Michelin Pilots, Dunlop Sport 9000s, or maybe the Bridgestone S0-3s. I dunno. I'll try to finish off these Kumhos at this upcoming event..lol.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:51 PM

I only skimmed the thread so I dont know if it was brought up yet, but how about weightreduction? Less weight means better braking, accelerating, and handling. You already have lightweight rims, maybe get in on that fiberimage carbonfiber hood deal and knock off another 50-70lbs....you could also get lighter tires (i read somewhere that kumos where heavy)...
Old 05-09-2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by SmokinOdum
I only skimmed the thread so I dont know if it was brought up yet, but how about weightreduction? Less weight means better braking, accelerating, and handling. You already have lightweight rims, maybe get in on that fiberimage carbonfiber hood deal and knock off another 50-70lbs....you could also get lighter tires (i read somewhere that kumos where heavy)...
mine was without seats, no carpet in trunk, trunk gutted, no spare, and no speakers, also most of the interior was ripped out.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:48 PM

Tire suggestions; The Michelin pilots are a nice all season tire, very pleased with them. But for summer I got Toyo T1S and boy are they sticky. They're pricey and wear quickly, but for autox they might be woth it, unbelievable cornering! My .02
Old 05-18-2002, 03:38 PM

I wonder if Quaife has an ATB differential for you...?
Old 05-18-2002, 03:50 PM

Yes the Quaife TBD is amazing! And a must if you decide to increase your horsepower, it really puts the power to the ground.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:02 AM
Conecarver

Originally posted by Screaminfast

Do they have that evolution one or any others up here in the NorthEast.....I've been wanting to do something over at Lime Rock Park....like take my maxima out on the track...hehe....but i'd love to take a racing class....

-Mike
You're in luck Mike. Evolution will be in NY 8/24 - 8/25. And they can probably get you in touch with road course people too...
Evolution School

Best quote from my instructors yesterday "Damn, that boat can really dance the slalom"
Old 05-20-2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Screaminfast

CART offers Lime Rock track days, but you can also take several different kinds of courses at Lime Rock.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:53 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i just lowered my car and i want to auto X, my tires are so sick i think i should do good. RSB, FSTB, AGX and Progress and 245/40/18 G-force Tires. i love my car agaain, no more body roll.