General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 05:20 PM

Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

OK before I get flamed for this one this is what I'm planning. The rear of my car just sits too high. I thought it would be OK with my additional weight in the trunk from my stereo and trailer hitch but its just up there. I plan to hack a coil off of the progressive end in the rear springs. Cause when the car is just sitting, those progressive coils just become dead coils as they are always in contact with the next coil. Hacking off 1 coil should lower the car 1/2" as that is the diameter of the spring wire, and not change the spring rate at all. I did a search and I have yet seen anybody hack a coil off their aftermarket springs aside from Jay25. I heard from a friend who did this to his old Camry that it worked well. So the question is- has anybody hacked the coils off the rears?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would like to hack a coil off of my spring too
Old 05-08-2002, 05:37 PM

I got two coils cut off my rear Sprint's. Rides fine...until now. I'm not sure if that have anything to do with the cut coils or not. The rear is pretty rough right now. I didn't have this problem before though. Also, it seem to be somewhat bouncy too. Not sure if it's the springs or the struts. Hm...
Old 05-08-2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I got two coils cut off my rear Sprint's. Rides fine...until now. I'm not sure if that have anything to do with the cut coils or not. The rear is pretty rough right now. I didn't have this problem before though. Also, it seem to be somewhat bouncy too. Not sure if it's the springs or the struts. Hm...
What struts are you running? And any weight in your trunk?
Old 05-08-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

Originally posted by ericdwong
OK before I get flamed for this one this is what I'm planning. The rear of my car just sits too high. I thought it would be OK with my additional weight in the trunk from my stereo and trailer hitch but its just up there. I plan to hack a coil off of the progressive end in the rear springs. Cause when the car is just sitting, those progressive coils just become dead coils as they are always in contact with the next coil. Hacking off 1 coil should lower the car 1/2" as that is the diameter of the spring wire, and not change the spring rate at all. I did a search and I have yet seen anybody hack a coil off their aftermarket springs aside from Jay25. I heard from a friend who did this to his old Camry that it worked well. So the question is- has anybody hacked the coils off the rears?
Irvine78 and myself have both cut 1 coil off our Eibachs (front and rear). He is running Tockiko struts and I have Koni's. Neither of us have complaints about the ride. Well, my ride is pretty stiff, but as far as being floaty I haven't had a problem with it. I've been running this set up for about a year and a half now. BTW, the coils that were cut were the dead coils on progressive springs. I also wouldn't recommend this if you have stock struts.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:42 PM

How does it not effect the spring rate? If you are altering the overall spring?
Old 05-08-2002, 06:45 PM

I cut a dead coil out of the rear to make my car sit even. I also have agx shocks, and I can't complain about the ride. It rides just as rough as I want it, b/c I have the shocks set at 3/6 with my 18's
Old 05-08-2002, 06:52 PM

Re: Cutting Springs

Originally posted by Cutlr7
Cutting lowering springs is about as smart as a pillow burnout Defeats the purpose of what you bought. You want to go lower, get coilovers and drop away otherwise you are wasting your $$$!!
Hello I tried to explain in the post but obviously you do not comprehend. Let me explain in english: On a progressively wound spring, when the car's weight sits on the car- you have dead coils. These "dead coils" are the result of the tighter winds in the coil being compmressed together, thus these coils have no effect other then to add height to the total equation.

So no- it will NOT change the spring rate, as the coil that was there before wasnt doing anything before. This is much different from cutting linear rate stock springs, as they have no progressive windings thus no dead coils. And no, it doesnt defeat the purpose of what I bought, it optimizes it.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

Originally posted by MaxedBandit

Irvine78 and myself have both cut 1 coil off our Eibachs (front and rear). He is running Tockiko struts and I have Koni's. Neither of us have complaints about the ride. Well, my ride is pretty stiff, but as far as being floaty I haven't had a problem with it. I've been running this set up for about a year and a half now. BTW, the coils that were cut were the dead coils on progressive springs. I also wouldn't recommend this if you have stock struts.
Which is the progressive size top or bottom?
Old 05-08-2002, 06:54 PM

I cut my H&R's one coil f/r and the ride is the exact same, just now i have a 2-finger gap all around not a 3.

Ant
Old 05-08-2002, 07:02 PM

how do I know which are the dead coils...
Old 05-08-2002, 07:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cutting Springs

Are you stupid or something, lowering springs are designed for the car and not designed to be "hacked" as you so eloquently put it. Call any reputable shop that installs springs and tell them your little plan. You are showing your age, I admit you know somethings about cars but this is moronic perspective on lowering your car.

Call a shop or ask a professional installer and they will tell you. Get a clue
Before you go around calling people stupid you better know your own facts. Look who's showing who's age here. You obviously do not understand the physics of progressively wound lowering springs. Have you even seen what a lowering spring looks like when its sitting on a car?

Since you're taking this to the personal level, you're the kinda person who trusts the shops to do everything. I feel sorry for you that you have no thinking mind of your own. One could argue that modifying the car at all is wrong. The only "moronic perspective" you describe is the one held by you, since you can't open your eyes to anything.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cutting Springs

Before you go around calling people stupid you better know your own facts. Look who's showing who's age here. You obviously do not understand the physics of progressively wound lowering springs. Have you even seen what a lowering spring looks like when its sitting on a car?

Since you're taking this to the personal level, you're the kinda person who trusts the shops to do everything. I feel sorry for you that you have no thinking mind of your own. One could argue that modifying the car at all is wrong. The only "moronic perspective" you describe is the one held by you, since you can't open your eyes to anything.
ignore him, he will go away eventrually
Old 05-08-2002, 07:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cutting Springs

Are you stupid or something, lowering springs are designed for the car and not designed to be "hacked" as you so eloquently put it. Call any reputable shop that installs springs and tell them your little plan. You are showing your age, I admit you know somethings about cars but this is moronic perspective on lowering your car.

Call a shop or ask a professional installer and they will tell you. Get a clue

On second thought, call Sprint Springs and ask them if "hacking" their spring will "optimize" the characteristics of the spring!!!

Otherwise, the springs would have a note on the box: FOR THOSE WANTING TO OPTIMIZE THESE COMPUTER DESIGNED SPRINGS "HACK" them to your liking
before you open your BIG MOUTH!! why dont you listen to me and the numerous other guys here that have cut springs.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Only problem I see is the overall height of the spring might become too short. The springs might shift out of the position when jacking the car up.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Cutting coils off is way way better than heating them up with a torch
Old 05-08-2002, 07:38 PM

One quick question, did sprint design the springs to be "hacked" by you for your "optimization".

I do see your point on the leveling of the ride, and accept my apology for insulting your knowlege, you do have to admit you don't have such a great track record with your car.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:40 PM

I was always under the impression that cutting coils made the car bouncy like the car is riding on a balloon.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by ny96max

before you open your BIG MOUTH!! why dont you listen to me and the numerous other guys here that have cut springs.
I admit I got a little heated, but lowering springs are designed to not be altered. I would call H&R and ask them if they recommend cutting springs and then let us know your findings, not trying to flame
Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cutting Springs

I admit I got a little heated, but lowering springs are designed to not be altered. I would call H&R and ask them if they recommend cutting springs and then let us know your findings, not trying to flame
Alright now that we've all calmed down- I do plan to call sprint and see what they have to say. But then again thats like saying call Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Ford/BMW and asking them what they think of modifying their products.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cutting Springs

Alright now that we've all calmed down- I do plan to call sprint and see what they have to say. But then again thats like saying call Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Ford/BMW and asking them what they think of modifying their products.
I'm sure they will tell you that the warrenty will be void...
Old 05-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

I heard from a friend who did this to his old Camry that it worked well. So the question is- has anybody hacked the coils off the rears?
Yep I'm the one he's talking about. I had Intrax springs on my old 89 Camry. The back end looked almost stock height, maybe .25" lower, especially when my trunk was empty. When the car was on the ground, there were about 4 dead coils at the bottom of the spring. In a progressively wound coil, there are different spring rates between each coil. Once two coils contact each other, they cannot be compressed any more, and thus the spring rate becomes infinite. It only takes 2 coils touching to make the spring rate in that part infinite, so if there are several dead coils w/ infinite spring rate, removing one doesn't change the rest, they are still infinite. Therefore the spring rate in the rest of the spring stays the same, as well. I took the spring perches on my Koni shocks down to the lowest level, which makes my H&R springs loose in the assembly when off the car. However when the assembly is on my car the trailing arms help keep the spring in place. I'm not sure if this would be the case w/ Maximas, but it wasn't a problem w/ my Camry (also struts). I cut one coil off the rear springs of the Camry and it was just what it needed to make it sit just right.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: Re: Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

Originally posted by PatrickGSR94

Yep I'm the one he's talking about. I had Intrax springs on my old 89 Camry. The back end looked almost stock height, maybe .25" lower, especially when my trunk was empty. When the car was on the ground, there were about 4 dead coils at the bottom of the spring. In a progressively wound coil, there are different spring rates between each coil. Once two coils contact each other, they cannot be compressed any more, and thus the spring rate becomes infinite. It only takes 2 coils touching to make the spring rate in that part infinite, so if there are several dead coils w/ infinite spring rate, removing one doesn't change the rest, they are still infinite. Therefore the spring rate in the rest of the spring stays the same, as well. I took the spring perches on my Koni shocks down to the lowest level, which makes my H&R springs loose in the assembly when off the car. However when the assembly is on my car the trailing arms help keep the spring in place. I'm not sure if this would be the case w/ Maximas, but it wasn't a problem w/ my Camry (also struts). I cut one coil off the rear springs of the Camry and it was just what it needed to make it sit just right.
I have Intrax on my I30, they are very loud. Is this normal? I put the spiral wrap on my spring to lessen the noise and it worked some but still very loud.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:17 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Im not sure how many of you are Mechanics, but, cutting colis is a NO NO, under any circumstance. This is dont to acheive a lower hieght level, but it will not improve performance, and 99% of the time will have adverse consequences..ask any mechanic,
Old 05-08-2002, 10:05 PM

Ive cut one coil in the front of my eibachs on my previous stealth as well as on my talon with no adverse effects.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:20 PM

I have Koni struts.

Btw for those of you who say cutting coils is bad and most "mechanics" advise you not to...do you believe everything they say? Also, I think you guys have not ride in a Maxima with cut springs, it's not that bad as you might think.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
Im not sure how many of you are Mechanics, but, cutting colis is a NO NO, under any circumstance. This is dont to acheive a lower hieght level, but it will not improve performance, and 99% of the time will have adverse consequences..ask any mechanic,
did you read any of the previous posts in this thread? Or did you simply read the subject and reply to that??

I really hope the latter is true...
Old 05-09-2002, 04:53 AM

Re: Re: Cutting Springs

I would cut one off first and then see the results. On Michaels car (cumalot) I cut one off, and that didnt work at all so the next week we cut another. He has Koni shocks set at about 75% stiff.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cutting a spring (like idiots that cut stock springs on stock struts) is very bad because it increases the spring rate, and shortens the spring for less suspension travel. Cutting one dead coil off the end of an aftermarket spring w/ aftermarket struts, I can pretty much guarantee you that it will not cause any problems. I do NOT recommend cutting live coils off of a spring, dead coils ONLY, and not more than one, maybe two at the MAX.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:04 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Cutting springs is stupid, and those of you who have done that have little regard for your lives or your loved ones for nothing more than making a perception in your eyes only that the car "looks" better. Who the hell cares if it's off a quarter-inch? Heaven help you when you have actual problems in life.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:07 AM

Where can we get camber plates that aren't 200bucks(stillen)?
What does cutting the dead coil do for spring noise?
Are dead coils only at the bottom?
Where do you guys go for alignments? I've been told by a few places they only have toe specs for our cars.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Where can we get camber plates that aren't 200bucks(stillen)?
What does cutting the dead coil do for spring noise?
Are dead coils only at the bottom?
Where do you guys go for alignments? I've been told by a few places they only have toe specs for our cars.
Dead coils will occur at whichever end has the closely-spaced (softer) coils on a progressively wound spring. My H&R springs on my Integra have them at the top. The Intrax springs on my Camry had them at the bottom. You won't catch me cutting coils off the H&R's, my car is low enough as it is.

All you people that thing cutting springs is bad NO MATTER WHAT fine, you're entitled to think that way. I used to think that way, too, and you know why? Because that's what I was told. Then I learned about spring rates in physics class (BTW I made the highest grade on the AP test in my AP Physics class in high school), and I now know the truth about cutting springs, when it's bad, and when it's not.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by ny96max

You never answered my last post in regards to the cutting issue. And I do know enough about cars to know that springs aren't designed to be cut. Also I already spoke with Eric and this is a difference of opinion not an argument.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cutting Springs

Any reason you don't want to go the coilover route and fine tune heights and spring rates in an optimal way? Just wondering...
Old 05-09-2002, 06:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by PatrickGSR94

Dead coils will occur at whichever end has the closely-spaced (softer) coils on a progressively wound spring. My H&R springs on my Integra have them at the top. The Intrax springs on my Camry had them at the bottom. You won't catch me cutting coils off the H&R's, my car is low enough as it is.

All you people that thing cutting springs is bad NO MATTER WHAT fine, you're entitled to think that way. I used to think that way, too, and you know why? Because that's what I was told. Then I learned about spring rates in physics class (BTW I made the highest grade on the AP test in my AP Physics class in high school), and I now know the truth about cutting springs, when it's bad, and when it's not.
i got a 98 in AP chemistry in high school..does that mean i'm a professional chemist?

back on topic here...
the dead coils you speak of are spacers. when you see your car at rest the weight of the car sits on the spring and compress the "dead coil area"...true. but when you hit a big bump on the hwy or a ditch..the spring/strut will load up (compress) and then unload (uncompress)..during the unload the "dead coil" will take up the extra slack that's is generated when your suspension extend.

you're 1/2 right about the dead coils not doing anything. when your car is at rest it just sits there on the dead coils (stored/potential energy). but keep in mind the dead coils are there when the suspension unloads and to keep the spring in it's perch (releasing of potential energy). too much slack on the coil and you'll end up with problems with spring shifting and etc. the "dead coils" are there for a reason.

sure you can cut a slight amount off the coil..but if you cut more off you'll run into problems.

talk to your teacher and ask him/her about that. you say that everyone was told not to cut coils...it's not a myth..it's told to people for a reason.

if you want to lower car more..i highly recommend coil overs. the springs were made for that kind of application. you can choose your choice of length and spring rate.

cutting the spring may work for some...it may not work for others..it all depends on where you live and what the roads look like.

so now..let's all just chill out and have a coke and a smile. it's your car, your money..some learn the hard way.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:33 AM

1. Cutting your coils is a yes yes if you know what your doing!!!
2. Members like myself ericwong, mardigrasmax and many more are mechanically inclined so that makes us the mechanics.
3. Who cares what the mechanic says not unless he is a suspension tech.
4. the dead coils you guys talk about, I done springs more then ten times (who cares!!) those dead coils are not dead coils
those coils absorb the small bumps they are part of the equation that someone posted. Also it serves its purpose when your at
high speeds and you hit a hard bump you dont loose control of the vehicle.
5. Someone posted the spring may come out of place when you jack up the car, yes it will if you cut too much of it. More then two
coils will put you in that situation. I am not in that situation I am still good. One more coil cut off in the front and I will, thats why
when you guys email/pm me I tell you after one coil cut in quarters. Quarter is one 1/4 of circle (COIL).
6. Some of these guys cant afford ground controls so they decide to cut their coils. I cut my coils becuase sprint was out of stock.
I recommend you guys get sprints and cut one coil off in the rear and even it out, the way Supalao did.
7. If you pay a tech to do all the work on your car to include petty **** that you can do yourself you should not even post your opinion
about cutting or advising someone else what to do with their suspension, you probably dont even know how a spring sits in a car
or the definition of a progressive spring.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:39 AM
I'm needing a caw

IMHO.

I think DanNY's explaination is correct. Why would a spring maker purposely put dead coils in there if they could gain some more spring travel? The dead springs are there for a reason.

Anyway, cutting maybe one coil is the same as using 235-45s on 7" rims. Do it at your own risk.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:44 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
IMHO.

I think DanNY's explaination is correct. Why would a spring maker purposely put dead coils in there if they could gain some more spring travel? The dead springs are there for a reason.

Anyway, cutting maybe one coil is the same as using 235-45s on 7" rims. Do it at your own risk.

And using 245/45s and 255/40 17s as other members have done and say would be perfectly safe......
Old 05-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well as was the case for my Camry, Intrax was the ONLY available suspension option, and still is. There are no height adjustable applications for those old cars to my knowledge, unless you spend ALOT of time and money trying to rig up something custom (as I have seen done on an old Celica).
Old 05-09-2002, 08:01 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by JAY25
1. Cutting your coils is a yes yes if you know what your doing!!!
2. Members like myself ericwong, mardigrasmax and many more are mechanically inclined so that makes us the mechanics.
3. Who cares what the mechanic says not unless he is a suspension tech.
4. the dead coils you guys talk about, I done springs more then ten times (who cares!!) those dead coils are not dead coils
those coils absorb the small bumps they are part of the equation that someone posted. Also it serves its purpose when your at
high speeds and you hit a hard bump you dont loose control of the vehicle.
5. Someone posted the spring may come out of place when you jack up the car, yes it will if you cut too much of it. More then two
coils will put you in that situation. I am not in that situation I am still good. One more coil cut off in the front and I will, thats why
when you guys email/pm me I tell you after one coil cut in quarters. Quarter is one 1/4 of circle (COIL).
6. Some of these guys cant afford ground controls so they decide to cut their coils. I cut my coils becuase sprint was out of stock.
I recommend you guys get sprints and cut one coil off in the rear and even it out, the way Supalao did.
7. If you pay a tech to do all the work on your car to include petty **** that you can do yourself you should not even post your opinion
about cutting or advising someone else what to do with their suspension, you probably dont even know how a spring sits in a car
or the definition of a progressive spring.
err dude you know you got your side skirts are backwards? did you (mechanic) do that? jk

working on your car doesn't make u a mechanic. there's always a right way and a wrong way to do thing. if you feel that the ride is good w/ the coils cut off..then so be it.
IMO the proper way to correctly lower more than lowering springs is coil overs...so you say they are expensive??..then don't lower it that low. hacking properly made mods (springs) to compensate for something else is not the way to go...that's my opinon on it..i'm sure someone will make another comment.

Quick Reply: Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs