General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 08:04 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by DanNY

err dude you know you got your side skirts are backwards? did you (mechanic) do that? jk

working on your car doesn't make u a mechanic. there's always a right way and a wrong way to do thing. if you feel that the ride is good w/ the coils cut off..then so be it.
IMO the proper way to correctly lower more than lowering springs is coil overs...so you say they are expensive??..then don't lower it that low. hacking properly made mods (springs) to compensate for something else is not the way to go...that's my opinon on it..i'm sure someone will make another comment.

I think your sig pic is most appropriate in this entire topic.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by PatrickGSR94
Well as was the case for my Camry, Intrax was the ONLY available suspension option, and still is. There are no height adjustable applications for those old cars to my knowledge, unless you spend ALOT of time and money trying to rig up something custom (as I have seen done on an old Celica).
right...you figured that cutting the springs to obtain a lower ride height would do it. you convinced yourself that it looks great..doesn't ride bad. so you're saying that it's ok to do it.

what happed to all the AP physics knowledge you said earlier? give me your take on why cutting the springs is ok after what i mentioned in the earlier post. THIS IS NOT A FLAME..JUST WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS.

just a FYI...custom coil over sleeve/perch and springs are about $400-$500 for the set. it's not something you "rig" up either.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by bill99gxe

I think your sig pic is most appropriate in this entire topic.
i have another pic that's appropriate...but you better get your finger ready on the lock button.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:22 AM

I do see how if you hacked off too many coils it may move the spring out of place. I'm gonna wait a few more weeks. My old camry with Intrax also sat high in the rear at first, but after weight with my sub box and other things weighed it down, it flattened out.

IF i hack the coils, I will make sure the fully unloaded height of the spring is still greater then the length of an unloaded strut with the retainer plate on the top.

But my question is why is it so difficult to accept us "modifying" modifications? I could sit here and argue with you all day on why NOT to modify your car. I'll tell you why are you modifying a PROPERLY made car, it has precats for a reason- the manufacturer gave it a 10" stock ride height (exaggeration) for a reason. This car was also never meant to be SUPERCHARGED! The stock shifter was "properly designed" as well, so was the stereo, and so were the stock rims. We shouldnt have people adding Nitrous either, as the car wasnt designed for that, nor was it designed for a rear sway bar, clear bumper lights, i could go on and on and on.

Just think, some engineer at nissan/honda probably spent weeks developing and toying and testing with the stock suspension, only for what? To be taken out and replaced with Intrax/H&R. They probably also spent weeks designing the stock muffler and resonater systems to be as quiet as possible, only to be replaced by straight thru pipes.

Oh yeah, and the stillen supercharger-it wasnt made to run 10 PSI of boost, yet people do it anyway and run juice at the same time....

Proper is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
So is stupidity.

Eric,

You really should consider dumping this vehicle and starting over with something else. You're going way too far out of your way to justify all you have done to it, and you're just looking for someone to say "Go ahead! It's perfectly safe and NOTHING will EVER happen to you." Such assurances from members who probably couldn't care less what you do in the first place wouldn't be the gauge I use when choosing something to do to my vehicle that directly relates to safety.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I do see how if you hacked off too many coils it may move the spring out of place. I'm gonna wait a few more weeks. My old camry with Intrax also sat high in the rear at first, but after weight with my sub box and other things weighed it down, it flattened out.

IF i hack the coils, I will make sure the fully unloaded height of the spring is still greater then the length of an unloaded strut with the retainer plate on the top.

But my question is why is it so difficult to accept us "modifying" modifications? I could sit here and argue with you all day on why NOT to modify your car. I'll tell you why are you modifying a PROPERLY made car, it has precats for a reason- the manufacturer gave it a 10" stock ride height (exaggeration) for a reason. This car was also never meant to be SUPERCHARGED! The stock shifter was "properly designed" as well, so was the stereo, and so were the stock rims. We shouldnt have people adding Nitrous either, as the car wasnt designed for that, nor was it designed for a rear sway bar, clear bumper lights, i could go on and on and on.

Just think, some engineer at nissan/honda probably spent weeks developing and toying and testing with the stock suspension, only for what? To be taken out and replaced with Intrax/H&R. They probably also spent weeks designing the stock muffler and resonater systems to be as quiet as possible, only to be replaced by straight thru pipes.

Oh yeah, and the stillen supercharger-it wasnt made to run 10 PSI of boost, yet people do it anyway and run juice at the same time....

yes...driving on food trays and lighting pillows on fire is the "proper thing to do"

you can MOD your car...that's why companies spend cash on R&D to make parts that's right for your car and it'll perform safely...aftermarket parts.

the OEM design of the part is meant to cater to a variety of markets. a 65 yr old grandfather doesn't want a bone jarring ride. you don't want a soft ride...that's where the performance aftermarket comes in.

what R&D did u do to hack off a few coils on a spring? prob seat of your pants R&D.
what happens when people run too much boost off a SC? engine blows up..does nissan warranty that...NO.

don't even start a discussion with me. because time and time again you have proven yourself to be ignorant. like i said..do what you want to your car..it's your car..your money. don't complain when something breaks because YOU modified a part...as long as you agree to that i don't have a problem you cutting 1/2 the coil if u wanted to.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Administrator

1) i hear BMW's have a nice factory ride height.. eric.. you should look into one..

http://www.bmwusa.com

2) Coilovers for sale

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=coilovers
Old 05-09-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
1) i hear BMW's have a nice factory ride height.. eric.. you should look into one..

http://www.bmwusa.com

2) Coilovers for sale

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=coilovers
WHOA, did i miss somethng, When did you come back???

DPW
Old 05-09-2002, 09:24 AM

So is stupidity.

Eric,

You really should consider dumping this vehicle and starting over with something else. You're going way too far out of your way to justify all you have done to it, and you're just looking for someone to say "Go ahead! It's perfectly safe and NOTHING will EVER happen to you." Such assurances from members who probably couldn't care less what you do in the first place wouldn't be the gauge I use when choosing something to do to my vehicle that directly relates to safety.
Let me ask you Bill, what about the people who HAVE done it? Theres more then one person here.

Also I've never had trouble with you as a mod(erator) before, but you just jumped straight out of the wood work on this one and called everybody entertaining the idea stupid. You didnt even say what may be the consequence of hacking a spring, thus why did I even ask in the first place?
Old 05-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Let me ask you Bill, what about the people who HAVE done it? Theres more then one person here.

Also I've never had trouble with you as a mod(erator) before, but you just jumped straight out of the wood work on this one and called everybody entertaining the idea stupid. You didnt even say what may be the consequence of hacking a spring, thus why did I even ask in the first place?
trying to lead the argument in another direction still doesn't make your point any valid..

bill could be the devil or a preist who likes to touch little boys.. the fact of the matter is.. he stated you are wrong. .and in actuality.. you are wrong.. no matter who its coming from.. you are still wrong..

Tint Da Max - I never left
Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

His point was, given your horrible luck w/ your particular Maxima, why do a suspect mod and introduce more chances at funking something up?

Old 05-09-2002, 09:37 AM

yes...driving on food trays and lighting pillows on fire is the "proper thing to do"

you can MOD your car...that's why companies spend cash on R&D to make parts that's right for your car and it'll perform safely...aftermarket parts.

the OEM design of the part is meant to cater to a variety of markets. a 65 yr old grandfather doesn't want a bone jarring ride. you don't want a soft ride...that's where the performance aftermarket comes in.

what R&D did u do to hack off a few coils on a spring? prob seat of your pants R&D.
what happens when people run too much boost off a SC? engine blows up..does nissan warranty that...NO.

don't even start a discussion with me. because time and time again you have proven yourself to be ignorant. like i said..do what you want to your car..it's your car..your money. don't complain when something breaks because YOU modified a part...as long as you agree to that i don't have a problem you cutting 1/2 the coil if u wanted to.
You can bring up the pillows and food trays all you want to. Like you've NEVER done a burnout before. The pillow incident only happened once and that was well over a year and a half ago.

For aftermarket things performing safely you know as well as I that is not always the case. Many times aftermarket products become worse then the OEM ones do.

As for aftermarket companies doing R&D... lots of cash huh? I dont want to be knocking on someones door, but just how much R&D went into say a Y pipe? Other then a few dyno pulls here and there its obvious its just a slab of steel welded together, some built better then others.

As for the R&D I did... I observed to see what coils compress under what circumstances, using jack to jack the body of the car up from the suspension to see how many coils I could safely hack off. I measured what the spring diamter is and what kind of drop I was expecting. I asked on this forum to see if anybody did this before and more then one person did it. I also also yet to hear "i caused an accident because I hacked a coil off my suspension. Other then the springs popping off the perches, NOBODY has said any other negative consequences of hacking a dead coil off a progressive spring. Most are under the notion of "dont do it cause i was told not to".

Im ignorant in discussions Time and time again huh? Everytime we have differing views on anything, you jump down my throat, attack me personally and beat around the bush. We'll see how badly you bastardize this one.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
His point was, given your horrible luck w/ your particular Maxima, why do a suspect mod and introduce more chances at funking something up?

I guess only old people understood that post.....which pretty much means only Jeff did......
Old 05-09-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator

I guess only old people understood that post.....which pretty much means only Jeff did......
i am 24 years young
Old 05-09-2002, 09:42 AM

trying to lead the argument in another direction still doesn't make your point any valid..

bill could be the devil or a preist who likes to touch little boys.. the fact of the matter is.. he stated you are wrong. .and in actuality.. you are wrong.. no matter who its coming from.. you are still wrong..

Tint Da Max - I never left

1) I'm not leading the argument in another direction.

2) Tell me how I am wrong. I'm not the only person here who thinks hacking the springs of an AFTERMARKET PROGRESSIVELY wound spring with DEAD COILS is an OK practice. You of all people should butt out on this one since you get your mechanic to do everything for you. Until you can come up with a 1/2 way decent explanation on why NOT to hack a dead coil off you have no grounds.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Administrator

yo Eric.. if you so knowledgeable on the subject.. why did you post it in the first place?

if you know you were going to do it after people told you it was wrong.. why did you post it in the first place?

if you have a history of damaging your car and people know that.. why did you post it in the first place?

so just go ahead and do it.. if you run ok.. you run ok.. if you run into problems.. just come back and post it.. and the people who told you not to will just start another 5 page thread and add it to your long list of maxima no no's and f#ck up's..

and its that simple people.. it really is
Old 05-09-2002, 09:43 AM

I guess I'll repeat myself:

ORIGINALLY posted by bill99gxe on page 2 of this thread at the bottom that no one bothered to read:

Cutting springs is stupid, and those of you who have done that have little regard for your lives or your loved ones for nothing more than making a perception in your eyes only that the car "looks" better. Who the hell cares if it's off a quarter-inch? Heaven help you when you have actual problems in life.

Eric,

I gave you a piece of advice.

I didn't jump out of anywhere. I'm always here.

Experience from other's posts over my "veteran" 5 years tells me what cutting springs is. An ounce of research on Hon-duh and Acura forums would give you an even better idea of the consequences of cutting springs.

I give opinions because I have them. Ignore them in the future if you don't like them. I won't lose any sleep if an accident occurs because of you cutting springs in your car.

You seem hellbent on doing it, so go ahead.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Let me ask you this then- other then the spring coming off the perch WHAT would be this disastrous consequence? I've already said I've made sure the spring would not be short enough to come off the perch.

Further, I'm talking about the REAR springs, which will still be supported by the strut itself as well as the lateral link on the beam if it does come off. I'm not talking about the FRONT which has to turn, hold the engine, brake and accelerate the car- although someone's done the fronts too.

Even KYB says the AGX can be dropped to 1.5". Right now the rear of my car was dropped probably .5" to .75" from the sprints.

Also- do you consider chopping the bump stops a dangerous mod? Every spring set I've seen tells you to chop the bump stop. I guess this is a big no no as well.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:46 AM

i am 24 years young
Jeff's in his 30s......
Old 05-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Administrator

1) I'm not leading the argument in another direction.

2) Tell me how I am wrong. I'm not the only person here who thinks hacking the springs of an AFTERMARKET PROGRESSIVELY wound spring with DEAD COILS is an OK practice. You of all people should butt out on this one since you get your mechanic to do everything for you. Until you can come up with a 1/2 way decent explanation on why NOT to hack a dead coil off you have no grounds.
1) you are attacking bill's credibility and his character.. which has nothign to do with this case.. this is about you and what you wish to do. .not about bill and his moderating techniques.

2) you say butt out.. but you post it in a public forum and open your self up for advice and critisms... what you should have posted was..

People who cut their springs, please pm or email me

that way your audience is only people who agree with you and you won't have any conterversy..

i think everyone is just going to let you go ahead and find out for yoruself.. or not find out for yourself.. so the aruging is pretty much done now.. that 1/2 way decent explanation you are looking for is not going to come from anyone of us
Old 05-09-2002, 09:47 AM

yo Eric.. if you so knowledgeable on the subject.. why did you post it in the first place?

if you know you were going to do it after people told you it was wrong.. why did you post it in the first place?

if you have a history of damaging your car and people know that.. why did you post it in the first place?

so just go ahead and do it.. if you run ok.. you run ok.. if you run into problems.. just come back and post it.. and the people who told you not to will just start another 5 page thread and add it to your long list of maxima no no's and f#ck up's..

and its that simple people.. it really is

Look who's the one steering the argument in another direction....
Old 05-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Jeff's in his 30s......
yes.. but i also understood
Old 05-09-2002, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Look who's the one steering the argument in another direction....
nah.. i am still on track.. if you want to do it.. do it.. whatever happens happens.. like bill says.. you are hellbent on doing it.. so go ahead.. make your own destiny
Old 05-09-2002, 09:54 AM

yes.. but i also understood
Well of course I knew you understood, I was just trying to flame Jeff at the same time.

Doug understands these things real well also.........
Old 05-09-2002, 09:55 AM

I guess I'll repeat myself:

[/B]

Eric,

I gave you a piece of advice.

I didn't jump out of anywhere. I'm always here.

Experience from other's posts over my "veteran" 5 years tells me what cutting springs is. An ounce of research on Hon-duh and Acura forums would give you an even better idea of the consequences of cutting springs.

I give opinions because I have them. Ignore them in the future if you don't like them. I won't lose any sleep if an accident occurs because of you cutting springs in your car.

You seem hellbent on doing it, so go ahead. [/B]
I have done research on this, and every other time cutting the springs is brought up its done on linear rate stock springs. Theres a huge huge difference here. My research also indicates people have cut off progressively wound springs before because the ride was not low enough including Turbo, Sport Compact Car, Burien Toyota (turbo camry project) and countless others, but I didnt find ANYTHING on maxima.

"ORIGINALLY posted by bill99gxe on page 2 of this thread at the bottom that no one bothered to read:

Cutting springs is stupid, and those of you who have done that have little regard for your lives or your loved ones for nothing more than making a perception in your eyes only that the car "looks" better. Who the hell cares if it's off a quarter-inch? Heaven help you when you have actual problems in life." Does not tell me WHY it is dangerous. All I hear is some preaching about having little regard for my life or my loved ones, which still doesnt tell me a thing on WHY not do to it. I shouldnt be driving at all if I wanted to think that way. Its also off more then a quarter of an inch.

You're right though I did post this on a public forum and asked for public input. I apoligize for lashing out, but I dont appreciate being called stupid.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well you thought rebuilding the tranny yourself was fine also. Now it gets stuck in reverse? My point being with your bad luck you have, introducing another varible(WHATEVER THAT MIGHT BE) would not be the best thing(for you). Others have cut their springs and used 235-45s on 7" rims(at their own risk). But w/ your luck, who knows?

Did I actually have to type that twice?

Let me ask you this then- other then the spring coming off the perch WHAT would be this disastrous consequence? I've already said I've made sure the spring would not be short enough to come off the perch.

Further, I'm talking about the REAR springs, which will still be supported by the strut itself as well as the lateral link on the beam if it does come off. I'm not talking about the FRONT which has to turn, hold the engine, brake and accelerate the car- although someone's done the fronts too.

Even KYB says the AGX can be dropped to 1.5". Right now the rear of my car was dropped probably .5" to .75" from the sprints.

Also- do you consider chopping the bump stops a dangerous mod? Every spring set I've seen tells you to chop the bump stop. I guess this is a big no no as well.
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

You can bring up the pillows and food trays all you want to. Like you've NEVER done a burnout before. The pillow incident only happened once and that was well over a year and a half ago.

For aftermarket things performing safely you know as well as I that is not always the case. Many times aftermarket products become worse then the OEM ones do.

As for aftermarket companies doing R&D... lots of cash huh? I dont want to be knocking on someones door, but just how much R&D went into say a Y pipe? Other then a few dyno pulls here and there its obvious its just a slab of steel welded together, some built better then others.

As for the R&D I did... I observed to see what coils compress under what circumstances, using jack to jack the body of the car up from the suspension to see how many coils I could safely hack off. I measured what the spring diamter is and what kind of drop I was expecting. I asked on this forum to see if anybody did this before and more then one person did it. I also also yet to hear "i caused an accident because I hacked a coil off my suspension. Other then the springs popping off the perches, NOBODY has said any other negative consequences of hacking a dead coil off a progressive spring. Most are under the notion of "dont do it cause i was told not to".

Im ignorant in discussions Time and time again huh? Everytime we have differing views on anything, you jump down my throat, attack me personally and beat around the bush. We'll see how badly you bastardize this one.
nope..i've never done a burn out. i can honestly say that.

aftermarket parts? what terms? aftermarket replacement parts? aftermarket performance parts? like any industry someone is bound to make cheap junk to make more $ off suckers. you as a educated consumer should know the difference.

R&D
a few dyno pulls enh? so when are you making y-pipes for everyone? i mean like you said it's only a few pieces of metal welded together. if you don't know what's involved then you can't comment. there are many variables with fitment that needed to be address...of course you won't understand that. another one of your ignorant statements.

R&D that you did
you moved the body of the car with a jack. how fast did u move it? did u move it as fast as say... simulating a pot hole or a speed bump? you're running your so call test on a controlled environment with a jack that moves the car slowly. on the road the spring and shock takes hit as fast as a blink of a eye...you can't R&D on a jack. u need to DRIVE the car on a actual rd to see how the cut spring reacts.
you don't think a spring popping out of a perch is dangerous?

i addressed the post and the comments to patrickgsr..but you jumped on the thread..so don't blame me for your own retarded comments...and you participate in bastardizing the thread yourself. if you kept your mouth shut then i wouldn't respond..but of course that's too easy.

oh and any side effects...well i've seen posts here before about people dropping down the car too much that in a accident the impact missed the entire bumper and landed on the hood and the grill..but that's ok..your car will still look hot slammed even though your hood is a recycled can.

go ahead..cut your springs..DO IT!!! CUT THEM NOW!! DON'T ASK US BECAUSE YOU DID YOUR R&D ON THEM..YOU'RE OK WITH THEM..JUST CUT THEM AND CALL IT THE DAY. CUT THEM AND DON'T EVEN LOOK BACK..YOUR RIDE WILL LOOK HELLA HOT YO! MAKE SURE YOU CUT 3 COILS OFF FOR THAT SLAMMED EFFECT!

i'll be here waiting for you to complain about the ride quality and how your POS bottoms out on a bump and u blowing out struts in a few months.

don't forget...SELL YOUR CAR NOW!! SELL!! SELL!! SELL!! SELL!!

I don't see how what he wants to do could be dangerous in any way. If you cut ONE DEAD coil off, when the strut is FULLY decompressed the spring IS STILL COMPRESSED.....I really fail to see how this isn't "safe".

Everybody please stop ragging on him...he simply asked the opinion of people who HAVE cut springs, not what you THINK about cutting springs when you don't have any experience at all with it.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:00 AM

I have done research on this, and every other time cutting the springs is brought up its done on linear rate stock springs. Theres a huge huge difference here. My research also indicates people have cut off progressively wound springs before because the ride was not low enough including Turbo, Sport Compact Car, Burien Toyota (turbo camry project) and countless others, but I didnt find ANYTHING on maxima.

"ORIGINALLY posted by bill99gxe on page 2 of this thread at the bottom that no one bothered to read:

Cutting springs is stupid, and those of you who have done that have little regard for your lives or your loved ones for nothing more than making a perception in your eyes only that the car "looks" better. Who the hell cares if it's off a quarter-inch? Heaven help you when you have actual problems in life." Does not tell me WHY it is dangerous. All I hear is some preaching about having little regard for my life or my loved ones, which still doesnt tell me a thing on WHY not do to it. I shouldnt be driving at all if I wanted to think that way. Its also off more then a quarter of an inch.

You're right though I did post this on a public forum and asked for public input. I apoligize for lashing out, but I dont appreciate being called stupid.
I didn't call you stupid, I called the action of cutting springs stupid, while those who hop in their cars with cut springs and drive are failing to consider the safety issues of riding on suspension parts that were not designed to handle the real world to a reasonable extent. Granted, Eibach, H&R, etc. can't conceive of every possible situation, but they did zero testing on their products that are cut.

Go ahead and do it, Eric, and we'll all hope you aren't a sticky thread in the future mourning your injury or loss as a member.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

call them like i see them. i gave my two cents...you want to cut..cut them.
call it the day. delete the thread. cut the springs. have lowered ride height...be happy. don't ask us...we all take our cars to the mechanics anyway..we're all too stupid to know what to do.

you are correct there is NO adverse effects what so ever. go ahead and cut them. call it the day.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I didn't call you stupid, I called the action of cutting springs stupid, while those who hop in their cars with cut springs and drive are failing to consider the safety issues of riding on suspension parts that were not designed to handle the real world to a reasonable extent. Granted, Eibach, H&R, etc. can't conceive of every possible situation, but they did zero testing on their products that are cut.

Go ahead and do it, Eric, and we'll all hope you aren't a sticky thread in the future mourning your injury or loss as a member.
sorry bill..that was probably directed at me.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:07 AM

nope..i've never done a burn out. i can honestly say that.

aftermarket parts? what terms? aftermarket replacement parts? aftermarket performance parts? like any industry someone is bound to make cheap junk to make more $ off suckers. you as a educated consumer should know the difference.

R&D
a few dyno pulls enh? so when are you making y-pipes for everyone? i mean like you said it's only a few pieces of metal welded together. if you don't know what's involved then you can't comment. there are many variables with fitment that needed to be address...of course you won't understand that. another one of your ignorant statements.

R&D that you did
you moved the body of the car with a jack. how fast did u move it? did u move it as fast as say... simulating a pot hole or a speed bump? you're running your so call test on a controlled environment with a jack that moves the car slowly. on the road the spring and shock takes hit as fast as a blink of a eye...you can't R&D on a jack. u need to DRIVE the car on a actual rd to see how the cut spring reacts.
you don't think a spring popping out of a perch is dangerous?

i addressed the post and the comments to patrickgsr..but you jumped on the thread..so don't blame me for your own retarded comments...and you participate in bastardizing the thread yourself. if you kept your mouth shut then i wouldn't respond..but of course that's too easy.

oh and any side effects...well i've seen posts here before about people dropping down the car too much that in a accident the impact missed the entire bumper and landed on the hood and the grill..but that's ok..your car will still look hot slammed even though your hood is a recycled can.

For your pot hole assessment, last time I checked if you hit a pot hole the suspension will COMPRESS. Thus holding the spring more tightly into place. The springs are not nearly springy enough to bounce the car back up to the point it will unload the suspension.

The only time the car will become unloaded from the suspension is if it were airborn, either bounced up by hydro's or airbags or going over a hill very quickly... and NO i havent done that.

I said ONE coil, not TWO, and THREE and not FOUR. Everything has limits and excessiveness. One dead coil off the REAR is NOT gonna slam the car by any means. Does this car look slammed? This has one coil cut off in the rear, just like I plan to do:

Old 05-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry bill..that was probably directed at me.

No one is stupid here and if I offended any of you guys that posted I apologize to everyone!!!!I am sorry. This cutting spring subject is not cool for public discussion we offend each other and I see no results from it. My advice to everyone Sprints or groundcontrols with good shocks. As bill posted above if you hit a nasty bump at high speed say over 65MPH you ll know what his talking about, I know for a fact since here in New Orleans the I-10 has big bumps on the highway so I keep my speed down but as soon as the road gets smooth is on again. I cut my coils for the looks, I can careless about handling which is great except when I hit a pothole other then that I am happy.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

For your pot hole assessment, last time I checked if you hit a pot hole the suspension will COMPRESS. Thus holding the spring more tightly into place. The springs are not nearly springy enough to bounce the car back up to the point it will unload the suspension.

The only time the car will become unloaded from the suspension is if it were airborn, either bounced up by hydro's or airbags or going over a hill very quickly... and NO i havent done that.

I said ONE coil, not TWO, and THREE and not FOUR. Everything has limits and excessiveness. One dead coil off the REAR is NOT gonna slam the car by any means. Does this car look slammed? This has one coil cut off in the rear, just like I plan to do:

like i said...just do it. according to you i know nothing about cars. why do u even have to explain it to me? just cut it. don't worry..you'll be fine. if it's still too hight cut more..you're all set.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:22 AM

I don't think any spring manufacturer will say "sure, go ahead and cut 'em, no problem at all". Basically they just say don't do it. That's why Eibach makes a "sportline" series that lowers 2" or more. Unfortunately it's not available for the maxima. Lowering springs out of the box are NOT designed to be cut. If they were, I would have cut 'em also or they would have made them already cut down out of the box.

But the point is this: everyone can tell you it's a bad idea, but you do it anyway. It's like when you're a toddler and your parents tell you not to do that but you do it anyway. You'll learn from your mistakes.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by JMAX95

But the point is this: everyone can tell you it's a bad idea, but you do it anyway. It's like when you're a toddler and your parents tell you not to do that but you do it anyway. You'll learn from your mistakes.
some people learn fast.
some need something to happen in order to learn.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

right...you figured that cutting the springs to obtain a lower ride height would do it. you convinced yourself that it looks great..doesn't ride bad. so you're saying that it's ok to do it.

what happed to all the AP physics knowledge you said earlier? give me your take on why cutting the springs is ok after what i mentioned in the earlier post. THIS IS NOT A FLAME..JUST WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS.

just a FYI...custom coil over sleeve/perch and springs are about $400-$500 for the set. it's not something you "rig" up either.
DAMN this thread has blown up in 3 hours.

I knew it would be fine for my Camry because after cutting one coil off the bottom of the spring, and putting the spring back onto the strut, I STILL had to press down on the upper spring seat to install the top nut back on. That means there is no possible way for the spring to come unseated. I also know that the spring rate was not affected at all, or if it was, a very miniscule amount at the most. I also know that the KYB struts that I had could handle at most a 1.5" drop, and what I was doing was giving it maybe a 1" drop in the back. So yes, I knew that it would be fine.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As someone posted above no manufacture will tell not to cut them!!!not true, I called two companies and one of them told me your not happy with the spring cut them. I called twice they told me again cut them. Intrax told me cut one coil off in the front and walked me thru it. Nothing bad will happen just cut them, I dont regret cutting my intrax and none of the other guys above to include maxima of the month he has cut eibachs. That should answer your question and keep in mind he made Max of the month. Go cut them and make another post and give us feed back. My car rides just fine EXCEPT when I hit a pothole.
DanNY, you got me with that installed the stillen side pieces backwards!!!good joke but after 5 secs of thinking about it, I said wait I read on the bottom left and right hehehe. Also you should have got some PMs or emails for more pullies for the S/Cers not from me from other members that have PMed me or emailed me.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Only problem I see is the overall height of the spring might become too short. The springs might shift out of the position when jacking the car up.
not if you know where th cut them
Old 05-09-2002, 01:35 PM

Wow!!!

This thread has gotten real long!!! All because a cut spring issue, hehe

Quick Reply: Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs