General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

may buy a maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:13 PM
4th Gen Parts King

may buy a maxima

hi everbody i just joined because i'm thinking of buying a 3rd or 4th gen maxima or a 1st gen neon.i know alot about the neon already but need to learn about the maxima.i'm sure everyone here is bios and is going to say get the max so convince me to get one over the neon.here is what i would like to know what is the avarage price for the 3rd and 4th gen maxima. what engines are available for both these gen and which is best suitable for an auto tranny.thanks for any help
Old 05-09-2002, 09:26 PM

i have an I30 not a maxima so I am not bias, and even I say get the max!
Old 05-09-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: may buy a maxima

Originally posted by fanaticrockford
hi everbody i just joined because i'm thinking of buying a 3rd or 4th gen maxima or a 1st gen neon.i know alot about the neon already but need to learn about the maxima.i'm sure everyone here is bios and is going to say get the max so convince me to get one over the neon.here is what i would like to know what is the avarage price for the 3rd and 4th gen maxima. what engines are available for both these gen and which is best suitable for an auto tranny.thanks for any help
well youre right i am gonna say ditch the neon compared to the max, theyre like watermelons and bananas in comparison. What are you looking for in these cars, your basic simple stuff or you lookin into the goodies like leather, other options etc? Avg value for 3rd gens now runs from around $2k to $6k, expect to pay along the lines of $5-8k for a good condition 92-94 SE.

3rd gen:
2 engines offered - sohc "VG" and dohc "VE"
VG was on all 3rd gen gxe's and 89, 90, 91 se's
VE was on 92, 93, 94 se's

4th gen:
dohc "VQ" engine on all 4th gens
Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 PM

Re: may buy a maxima

Maximas have higher performance and luxury than neons! Have U test drove anything yet? If not do so because you will see a differance yourself
Old 05-09-2002, 09:41 PM
4th Gen Parts King

thanks for the help so far guys/gals. i'm looking most for looks and style and the best performance i can get. the performance isn't a must since i have my drag car(cutlass with a 455 rocket)so i would like a car with as much luxury as possible. theres something i like about a nice neon but i like the maxima also. i have driven a couple neons but have never driven a maxima. this guy i know in town has a nice 4th gen and it has the looks and performance i like and ever since i seen his i was hooked.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:44 PM

thanks for the help so far guys/gals. i'm looking most for looks and style and the best performance i can get. the performance isn't a must since i have my drag car(cutlass with a 455 rocket)so i would like a car with as much luxury as possible. theres something i like about a nice neon but i like the maxima also. i have driven a couple neons but have never driven a maxima. this guy i know in town has a nice 4th gen and it has the looks and performance i like and ever since i seen his i was hooked.
Well all I can say is get out there and test Drive a nicely optioned 92-94 Maxima SE
Old 05-10-2002, 10:21 AM

Drive a 1st gen Neon, and 3rd gen Max back to back.

Old 05-10-2002, 12:54 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Comparing a Maxima to a freakn neon is embarrassing...if you are thinking of Neans you should consider a sentra from the Nissan line..

A Maxima beats a Neon in EVERY catogory, performance, looks, room, handling, braking, reliability, interior, build quality, engine quality....the ONLY thing the Neon may be better at is getting better fuel economy.

A Maxima should be compared to a 300M special and even then it rails it in performance, engine quality, handling, build quality and reliability.

The only Maxima that would be comparable to those neons would be the boxy 3rd gen, but you can talk to the VE/VG guys about that one

I think you need to test drive a 1995 GXE 5spd Maxima just to get the jist of how fast the Nissan Maxima is..you probubly won't like the shift action but that can be fixed by a short throw shifter. 0-60 in 6.5 and the quarter mile in 14.9 bone stock for a 4 door family car is why it attracts people like us...it has sports car like acceleration, and the gobs of low end torque engineered by the VQ technology is definatally fun to play around with...you would swear your in a Mustang GT or somethin!