General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Opinions on the UDP mod ..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 11:31 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Opinions on the UDP mod ..?

Just curious if you guys think its a worthwhile Mod..my buddy Leftcoast has it, and he says he feels a difference. Just trying to decide on my next Mod...
Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 PM

the last thing you want to do is ask this board about the UDP. Its like one of the most heated debates. it's subject volatility ranks right in between altezzas and sprintmax's white wheels
Old 05-10-2002, 12:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by black019
the last thing you want to do is ask this board about the UDP. Its like one of the most heated debates. it's subject volatility ranks right in between altezzas and sprintmax's white wheels
He's right this is one of the biggest topics or should I say arguments on the org. Most people I know have felt a difference down low, but some have said that along with the gain in the low end they've dropped on the high end like for 1/4 mie times not as far as top end speed. I know i'm going to get it because I feel that a y-pipe, intake and exhaust should most defiently counteract the negative affects of the udp. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:24 AM

Under the laws of physics, it doesn't make sense that it would degrade performance. Less parasitic drag = more power. More power = faster times.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I contacted UR about making one for us SCed guys. I said 'how about a pulley that is stock diameter but lightened?'. He said, 'would you beleive we have one in developement right now?'. So we'll see. It's been a month now so tonight I left a message for the engineer in charge. We'll see...
Old 05-10-2002, 12:52 AM
Maxtor

Re: Opinions on the UDP mod ..?

Originally posted by kloogy
Just curious if you guys think its a worthwhile Mod..my buddy Leftcoast has it, and he says he feels a difference. Just trying to decide on my next Mod...
Wow with your UDP and "POWERtech" muffler your going to be beating 911s and M3s?

Old 05-10-2002, 12:55 AM

You guys need to go ahead and kiss and get over it already. Enough sexual tension. Seriously though, this kinda flaming is uncalled for. Use the PM feature for your catfights
Old 05-10-2002, 01:05 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Opinions on the UDP mod ..?

Originally posted by Maxtor

Wow with your UDP and "POWERtech" muffler your going to be beating 911s and M3s?

Be nice.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I like mine.
Taking it to the track as soon as I get my AGX and Y in.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You know, I don't think alot of people realize this about the UDP. The way it works, it should change your car's torque curve in a completely linear fashion. That is, everywhere on your torque curve, with a UDP, it will be + 5 points upwards, so to speak. Because of that, when you drive with a UDP, the only time you should really feel the effect of the UDP is when you just start accelerating. After that, your car should feel exactly the same b/c the torque will increase and decrease just as it did before without the UDP.

In a nutshell, it probably works, but isn't half as noticeable as other mods. So, I would suggest doing it as a very last mod.

DW
Old 05-10-2002, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Old 05-10-2002, 07:14 AM

I deffinetly liked mine. I don't care what anybody says, my engine revs faster, and people ran dynos that prove gains. You're free to trash me now Sprint!
Old 05-10-2002, 07:32 AM

I have a 2000 5-speed and had the UDP installed two weeks ago. My seat of the pants performance review is that it revs faster, pulls better off the line, and pulls better when you are cruising on the highway and need to pass/accelrate.

It has met my expectations.

I'm waiting on a Y and B pipe from Warpspeed.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:59 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by jarturo

I have a 2000 5-speed and had the UDP installed two weeks ago. My seat of the pants performance review is that it revs faster, pulls better off the line, and pulls better when you are cruising on the highway and need to pass/accelrate.

It has met my expectations.

I'm waiting on a Y and B pipe from Warpspeed.

agreed.. faster revs for us auto peeps.. i did not notice as much because it was after my intake and y pipe install.. but there is a difference.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:23 AM

Come on Kloogy who are you kidding? Just get it and let us know how YOU like it! You know that you wonna open yer wallet and let them moth's out! You and I are in the same boat with the wants/needs of mods (cept VB but..) as our tastes run along the same lines for the most part.
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by max7
I deffinetly liked mine. I don't care what anybody says, my engine revs faster, and people ran dynos that prove gains. You're free to trash me now Sprint!
when my clutch was slipping my engine was reving faster too
Old 05-10-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax

Old 05-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Administrator

you know what else i remembered about my slipping clutch.. when it did grip ... it was like a i had a turbo.. its like it just spooled.. and away i went.. felt like i had more hp in the car before the clutch was slipping

i would say on the butt dyno.. a slipping clutch will give about 10 hp more in the 4500 rpm range because when i hammered it.. it would be dead till 4500 rpms.. it would jsut shoot off like a rocket..
Old 05-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator

while we are on the subject..

when i had my A/F gauge install.. it would seem like it was going up and down with my stereo.. and i tell you.. i didn't need an EQ after all.. it was like the A/F gauge made everything brighter.. better frequency range.. you could just see it going up and down..

i would say.. with my ear (butt dyno) estimation.. i was getting about 10 more decibels on my A/F gauge
Old 05-10-2002, 09:41 AM

you know what else i remembered about my slipping clutch.. when it did grip ... it was like a i had a turbo.. its like it just spooled.. and away i went.. felt like i had more hp in the car before the clutch was slipping

i would say on the butt dyno.. a slipping clutch will give about 10 hp more in the 4500 rpm range because when i hammered it.. it would be dead till 4500 rpms.. it would jsut shoot off like a rocket..
I guess a slipping clutch is better than a turbo. Nigel should of asked you before he got his!
Old 05-10-2002, 09:42 AM

HAHAH, oh my G-D, you have this mod too, I had this mod and I loved it, the engine was reving so fast, even when I was in gear, it was the best mod by far, but then I put in a new clutch and the mod went away

Vinipux
Old 05-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Administrator

I guess a slipping clutch is better than a turbo. Nigel should of asked you before he got his!
you know what.. nigel's cluthc is slipping at this moment.. maybe thats why with only 9 PSI.. his hp is so high and his tq is so high.. wow.. lets all get centerforce.. that way we know it will slip in 2 months and we will have high hp..

come to think of it.. Matt got his highest dyno numbers on his slipping centerforce clutch..

we might be on to something here
Old 05-10-2002, 09:50 AM

you know what.. nigel's cluthc is slipping at this moment.. maybe thats why with only 9 PSI.. his hp is so high and his tq is so high.. wow.. lets all get centerforce.. that way we know it will slip in 2 months and we will have high hp..

come to think of it.. Matt got his highest dyno numbers on his slipping centerforce clutch..

we might be on to something here
Slipping clutch is the best mod by popular demand! Now we need a shop that will make this happen. I don't mind getting a clutch for a few days and burning the heck out of it. Than send it back, customer pays shipping and tires usage!
Old 05-10-2002, 09:52 AM

i noticed better midrange. . .
Old 05-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Administrator

i promised a couple girls i would teach them how to drive 5spd.. but since i got the ACT.. i automatically bailed on them

so if you want.. send me your clutch.. i will help you guys out

Slipping clutch is the best mod by popular demand! Now we need a shop that will make this happen. I don't mind getting a clutch for a few days and burning the heck out of it. Than send it back, customer pays shipping and tires usage!
Old 05-10-2002, 10:22 AM

i promised a couple girls i would teach them how to drive 5spd.. but since i got the ACT.. i automatically bailed on them

so if you want.. send me your clutch.. i will help you guys out

I have a few people on the agenda for learning, so mine will be taken care of!
Old 05-10-2002, 04:44 PM

I believe the benefits of the UDP are complemented very well with those of an aluminum flywheel. I guess that would be an example of a "family group" modification. Another example of a family group modification would be a CAI, y-pipe, r/t cat, and catback exhaust system. The benefit of the family group is greater than the sum of its parts.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:18 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by ssiperko

Come on Kloogy who are you kidding? Just get it and let us know how YOU like it! You know that you wonna open yer wallet and let them moth's out! You and I are in the same boat with the wants/needs of mods (cept VB but..) as our tastes run along the same lines for the most part.
l8tr -- SS
LOL. I confess, the wallet is open, and they are flying out ! Im just wondering what to expect ! I should have my custom catback by next week.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
I believe the benefits of the UDP are complemented very well with those of an aluminum flywheel. I guess that would be an example of a "family group" modification. Another example of a family group modification would be a CAI, y-pipe, r/t cat, and catback exhaust system. The benefit of the family group is greater than the sum of its parts.
synergistic, even.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Newman

synergistic, even.
That's the word I was looking for. "Performance is improved by the synergism resulting when the installation of all individual parts in a family grouping of modifications is completed." Thanks.