General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: What filter should we go with
Apexi at 20-25 dollar increase and offer K/N at original price
59.68%
K/N at original price and monster flow
9.68%
K/N Only
22.58%
Apexi only at 20-25 increase
6.45%
other filter option(please post)
1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

ok we have no clue what to do with the filter situation. we've tried k/n's with pretty good results, tried monster flows with not so good reviews from people. and now we are highly looking into apexi filters so far teh best price on them is much higher then the k/n's we get or teh monsterflows. we'd like to have these filters however and i'm sure you would too BUT getting them would necesitate us to higher costs on those models. would you pay an extra 20-25 bucks to have an apexi lifetime filter, that's dry and filters great?? we would also keep k/n in stock and only what we have left of the monster flows and offer those at the original price if you guys feel that you would pay for the apexi if you had the choice. we like to keep you guys involved heavily so please post you thoughts and vote thanks.

-steve(stressed)
Old 05-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
ok we have no clue what to do with the filter situation. we've tried k/n's with pretty good results, tried monster flows with not so good reviews from people. and now we are highly looking into apexi filters so far teh best price on them is much higher then the k/n's we get or teh monsterflows.
What bad things have people been saying about the monsterflow filter? I'm not flaming, just curious. I just put a new monsterflow on my CAI and it fits better (clamps tighter on the lower tubing and doesn't rub against my fender wall) than the K&N but as far as doing it's 'filter' job I have no idea how good it is.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

Originally posted by ljl10

What bad things have people been saying about the monsterflow filter? I'm not flaming, just curious. I just put a new monsterflow on my CAI and it fits better (clamps tighter on the lower tubing and doesn't rub against my fender wall) than the K&N but as far as doing it's 'filter' job I have no idea how good it is.

Where is a good website to check out the Apex'i filters?
http://www.gtrowner.com/induction.html

there are no filtration test out yet for monster flow filters, they aren't a known name, and people don't trust the "tactifying agent" that they use. they claim it's not oil but people disagree. i've gotten a lot fo flack for those filters and i just don't nkow what to do.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

there are no filtration test out yet for monster flow filters, they aren't a known name, and people don't trust the "tactifying agent" that they use. they claim it's not oil but people disagree. i've gotten a lot fo flack for those filters and i just don't nkow what to do.
The monsterflow doesn't seem to be as well 'put together' as some of the other filters I've seen (what's up with those little screw holes around the edge of the filter?), and I am honestly thinking about ditching it for something else even though I just got it...maybe the Apex'i? That test at the bottom of the link that you posted is pretty scary looking.

Well, good luck in your choice. I know doing stuff like this can be pretty thankless at times, but I think people in general are (or should be at least) very appreciative of your efforts. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

The monsterflow doesn't seem to be as well 'put together' as some of the other filters I've seen (what's up with those little screw holes around the edge of the filter?), and I am honestly thinking about ditching it for something else even though I just got it...maybe the Apex'i? That test at the bottom of the link that you posted is pretty scary looking.

Well, good luck in your choice. I know doing stuff like this can be pretty thankless at times, but I think people in general are (or should be at least) very appreciative of your efforts. Thanks.
thanks that means a lot. the reason for those screws is so you can take the middle part of the fitler, the foam, out and clean it separetly.

-steve
Old 05-10-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters

thanks that means a lot. the reason for those screws is so you can take the middle part of the fitler, the foam, out and clean it separetly.

-steve
Ahh...makes sense. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

I didn't vote. I can't say which way to go. In general I don't like foam type filters. The only reason I defer judgement is that there ARE some respected vendors using this type of tech. Amsoil is one and there is a bimmer and VW aftermarket vendors using this type of tech for their performance panel filters(as Amsoil) I wish Amsoil would come out with a cone style instead of just foam w/ oil.

According to Amsoil, it flow/filters well but that's not Monsterflow.

You probably already tried this but you need to find some type of online test that verifies the flow and filtration rates. If you could do that, the choices would be much clearer.

Accell has something too as well as "their" data.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:08 PM

k&n...
Old 05-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Steve:

If that link can be believed, which IMO it can, I think you should go with the Apexi. I voted for the K&N as it's the only one I've ever used, but the vote was made prior to reading the link. Find one more link to verify results or mimic the test procedure with the K&N/Monster/Apexi/whatever to produce your own results. In the end, I think you should build what you feel is the best product. Don't skimp and offer something of lower quality based solely on price, leave that to KIA (no flaming - just an example). You want to sell a quality product, then offer the highest quality you can. You've seen what word of mouth has done for you on this site alone. There are plenty of companies out there that will cut corners, you should be the exception and 'never compromise'.

This is all just the way I would do business, take it as you will.

Albert
Old 05-10-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by akrus
Steve:

If that link can be believed, which IMO it can, I think you should go with the Apexi. I voted for the K&N as it's the only one I've ever used, but the vote was made prior to reading the link. Find one more link to verify results or mimic the test procedure with the K&N/Monster/Apexi/whatever to produce your own results. In the end, I think you should build what you feel is the best product. Don't skimp and offer something of lower quality based solely on price, leave that to KIA (no flaming - just an example). You want to sell a quality product, then offer the highest quality you can. You've seen what word of mouth has done for you on this site alone. There are plenty of companies out there that will cut corners, you should be the exception and 'never compromise'.

This is all just the way I would do business, take it as you will.

Albert
well that's what i want to do, the k/ns are good but the apexi's seem to be better but if i get those and i want to they are very expensive and would necessitate a price increase but i would have the best filter on the market. then i could still offer the k/ns at regular price. the biggest question i need to know is if you the consumer would pay 20-25 more for teh intake with a apexi fitler.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:15 AM

I definately would pay 20-25 more for the APEXI. Wait... aren't they the disposable kind of filters? would that mean that i'd have to buy a filter every 20k or so?

btw steve... check your pm.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:30 AM

I really want to buy one of your air filter's since there have been such great reviews about them, but if you don't have K&N air filters then I may reconsider. So go with K&N.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:29 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I mounted both MSFLW, and the KN. Im sticking with the KN. I would like to see Pics of the Apexi filter. Either way, THE KN is fine with me.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I mounted both MSFLW, and the KN. Im sticking with the KN. I would like to see Pics of the Apexi filter. Either way, THE KN is fine with me.

a picture is on that page it's a dry maintenance free filter.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:34 PM

a picture is on that page it's a dry maintenance free filter.
Wow me likey. Maybe I'll retrack my last statement. Go with the Apexi and the K&N.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by 1BADMAX

Wow me likey. Maybe I'll retrack my last statement. Go with the Apexi and the K&N.
but would you pay 25 more for the apexi.(my cost difference) maybe 20 if i get a better price.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:41 PM

but would you pay 25 more for the apexi.(my cost difference) maybe 20 if i get a better price.
Yes!!
Old 05-11-2002, 11:10 PM

Does Apexi even make a filter the right size? Im not shure about the franken intake size tubing but I was looking for one of the Apexi filters for my cai and couldnt find a 3" inlet cone. If you do decide to switch to Apexi filters, and if they come in a 3" cone, I will deffinetly buy one from you.
btw- I switched from K&N to Monsterflow and now back to K&N but I would switch to the Apexi over the K&N since I read so many good things about them so my vote goes to the Apexi.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
btw- I switched from K&N to Monsterflow and now back to K&N but I would switch to the Apexi over the K&N since I read so many good things about them so my vote goes to the Apexi.
Lawrence,
Why did you switch back to the K&N from the monsterflow? I have a Monsterflow right now, but am debating on whether to switch back to my K$N or not...
Old 05-11-2002, 11:18 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Im planning on taking my Kn and the MSFLOW to the track on Saturday. I will see If i get any difference. When are the next stages of the intake coming Steve ???
Old 05-12-2002, 01:33 AM

Lawrence,
Why did you switch back to the K&N from the monsterflow? I have a Monsterflow right now, but am debating on whether to switch back to my K$N or not...
Actually, I just switched my MF with my K&N today. I just wanted to see how my MF was holding up so I just made the switch. The MF seems to be very clean(no dust or anything inside) but I just wanted to try my K&N filter again since Its still new. I'll probably switch them again in a month or so but for now the K&N is on.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:44 AM

whoa....that looks pretty damn scary...good thing i didn't buy that Blitz metal air filter at stillen for like 160..geez...yea with thoes tests..it seems like the Apexi is the way to go...i put my vote in for that...any anyone want a K&N?
Old 05-12-2002, 01:45 AM

anyone know the concept behind thoes metal air filters?...i tried searching but to no avail...they look tricked out..but apparently they dont work too well ..and hopefully they dont rust..
Old 05-12-2002, 02:10 AM

How much extra would an HKS filter cost? I know they're expensive to maintain. Change em every like 15k miles, but they sound awesome and have great airflow. I'd personally go with the HKS, but most people wouldn't want to spend the extra money.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:58 AM

hmm..the apexi looks nice..steve, will you be selling just the filter? if so, and you can get the proper size, i'll probably buy one to replace my K&N. in my opinion though, offer apex'i and K&N. those seem to be the most reliable filters..and to those who dont know much, K&N is still probably familiar if they're inquiring about an intake.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:28 AM

I think the Apexi looks like a good option, but most people don't like "maintenece free items" (including myself). If nothing else I would keep the K&N because I know that it filters well and you can clean it. The Apexi would get really dirty looking after a while just like the K&Ns, but how would you clean it since it's a dry filter
-hype
Old 05-12-2002, 12:16 PM

the apexi is lookin pretty good
Old 05-12-2002, 02:59 PM

i would imagine you could blow from the inside out with an apexi with an air compressor and get some of the particulate matter out. but i do like the look of them also, they some in 80mm which will fit the tubing that i use. that's the only size i make, but they are just so expensive. i'm gonna buy like 15 or so of them and see how people like them. i will be selling them by themselves but for about what everyone else gets for them~75 bucks till i can get better pricing on them.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:25 PM

I'm in for Apexi filters.
How soon are you going to sell them?
Old 05-12-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by TaiwanMaxima
I'm in for Apexi filters.
How soon are you going to sell them?
hopefully as soon as i can get some, even nopi has like 1 in stock. and i have to pay cash with my dealer accounts, i hope to get 15-20 soon though.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:21 AM

Im in for 1...my K&N is at about 11 thousand miles already
Old 05-13-2002, 03:42 AM

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

What did I say all along!!! I'm usually not the type to mettle in your business Steve but this time you've just proved yourself wrong after all of the **** talking you did against me and my products.

You don't really know what you are getting into with these Apex filters. I have one right here at my desk as my first prototype and it's more complicated than you think. Go buy one and see for yourself.

And about blowing out an Apex filter from the inside, how could you tell consumers to do this?? That will ruin the filter. You will essentially destroy the filtering capabilites of the filter media with compressed air.

Ohh well, I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so. To all his own.........
Old 05-13-2002, 01:55 PM

bump
Old 05-13-2002, 02:25 PM

It seems that all the filter produce the same power increase. The difference is less than 1 hp.

Also, the test conducted was a brief initial filtering test. It does not show how the filters would perform over time, like after 5000 miles of use. The Apexi kick **** for this test, but for how long?

Got any long term filtering tests?

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 02:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

But it shows how nasty the Blitz SS and unoiled foam filters are at filtering even for a short time.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
It seems that all the filter produce the same power increase. The difference is less than 1 hp.

Also, the test conducted was a brief initial filtering test. It does not show how the filters would perform over time, like after 5000 miles of use. The Apexi kick **** for this test, but for how long?

Got any long term filtering tests?

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 05:38 PM

I'll be doing my Apexi prototype tonight. I'll see if there is any real difference. Steve, go buy an Apex filter and see what I mean about the "complexity" in simply offering this as a replacement for your Monsterflow fitlers.

Bryan
Old 05-13-2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by cobymoby
I'll be doing my Apexi prototype tonight. I'll see if there is any real difference. Steve, go buy an Apex filter and see what I mean about the "complexity" in simply offering this as a replacement for your Monsterflow fitlers.

Bryan
it's not for "complexity" it's for the fact that they are a DRY filter, are maintenace FREE, and filter THE BEST. i have some on order now.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:09 PM

Yeah, that HKS test is like "Oh, you mean you want me to clean the air too?"

DW

Originally posted by Jeff92se
But it shows how nasty the Blitz SS and unoiled foam filters are at filtering even for a short time.

Old 05-14-2002, 03:13 AM

it's not for "complexity" it's for the fact that they are a DRY filter, are maintenace FREE, and filter THE BEST. i have some on order now.
Wait until you actually buy one and then you'll see that it doesn't just bolt on like you think it will.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:40 PM

What have you guys decided on??

Quick Reply: Crunch Time at Frankencar For filters