General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need ammo.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:19 PM

I need ammo.

Hey guys, I need to tap into the Maxima knowledge bank. First, how long have Maximas been offered with LSD? Second, are Maxes two or one wheel drive? When I burn out, I hear two wheels squeeling, but it does seem illogical for a front wheel car. The reason I'm asking is that I got into a scuffle with a hardcore domestic car lover who thinks FWD cars are worthless and can't have LSD. I catch alot of crap from the "muscle car" guys at school who think that their mustang is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Needless to say, I get pretty sick of it. Even when I spin my tires for half a block, they say it isn't good enough. The worst guy of them all drives an old Caprice that looks like three cars welded together. He constantly bashes on my car, simply because it's not American, even though his car is a giant pile of rust and bondo. Biased bunch of morons. Oh well...When I'm rich and famous and own afew Skylines, I'll go down to the trailer park and see if any of them want to race.....No offense to anyone on the org who lives in a trailer park!
Old 05-10-2002, 09:36 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: I need ammo.

Originally posted by crusher84
Hey guys, I need to tap into the Maxima knowledge bank. First, how long have Maximas been offered with LSD? Second, are Maxes two or one wheel drive? When I burn out, I hear two wheels squeeling, but it does seem illogical for a front wheel car. The reason I'm asking is that I got into a scuffle with a hardcore domestic car lover who thinks FWD cars are worthless and can't have LSD. I catch alot of crap from the "muscle car" guys at school who think that their mustang is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Needless to say, I get pretty sick of it. Even when I spin my tires for half a block, they say it isn't good enough. The worst guy of them all drives an old Caprice that looks like three cars welded together. He constantly bashes on my car, simply because it's not American, even though his car is a giant pile of rust and bondo. Biased bunch of morons. Oh well...When I'm rich and famous and own afew Skylines, I'll go down to the trailer park and see if any of them want to race.....No offense to anyone on the org who lives in a trailer park!

wow that hurt my head reading it...... One wheel drive..... does the max really look like a motorcycle?

The reason you may only hear one tire slipping is because when you lose traction, majority of power continues to the slipping wheel.... But no ur car is not one wheel drive... it is fwd.... front wheel drive...... both
Old 05-10-2002, 10:44 PM

Civic may be a one wheel drive...

Old 05-11-2002, 12:05 AM

Re: Re: I need ammo.

Originally posted by seximagtr

wow that hurt my head reading it...... One wheel drive..... does the max really look like a motorcycle?

The reason you may only hear one tire slipping is because when you lose traction, majority of power continues to the slipping wheel.... But no ur car is not one wheel drive... it is fwd.... front wheel drive...... both
put a car up on a lift and let the car run you will see only 1 wheel turn
Old 05-11-2002, 04:03 AM

FWD cars can and do have limited slip diffs. They just can't use the crude detroit locker or clutch pack type found on American musclecars. The 92 SE came with a viscous LSD and 5th gens in Canada had them too, now the 2k2 6spd can be had with a helical LSD (like a torsen or quaife). I don't know about other years, but also Sentra SER and NX2000 2 liter came with viscous diffs, various Audis and VWs have LSDs and some Preludes came with "smart" LSDs.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:24 PM

Awesome! Thanks guys. I knew I was right. He thinks he knows everything just because he works for a mechanic. Does anyone have a diagram of the powertrain setup? My shop manual doesn't seem to contain one. Thanks again, fellas.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:38 PM
lcf

Re: I need ammo.

Originally posted by crusher84
domestic cars.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:26 PM

FWD can and do have LSD's. I personally have a Quaife differential which is an aftermarket piece. As for the maxima, only certain Canadian 5 speeds, and the Infiniti I30"T" have LSD's (which are viscous coupling btw- different design then the more expensive quaife) stock.

We can't use lockers because your drive wheels also steer and brake the vehicle.

Doing consistent 2 wheeled burnouts is very difficult with an open differential, particularly when we have the transmission on the extreme left of the car and a huge long driveshaft for the right wheel.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by wdave
FWD cars can and do have limited slip diffs. They just can't use the crude detroit locker or clutch pack type found on American musclecars. The 92 SE came with a viscous LSD and 5th gens in Canada had them too, now the 2k2 6spd can be had with a helical LSD (like a torsen or quaife). I don't know about other years, but also Sentra SER and NX2000 2 liter came with viscous diffs, various Audis and VWs have LSDs and some Preludes came with "smart" LSDs.
If you ever replace your trani, the factory VLSD is the same price as the standard trani, but you have to also change the driveshafts.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
FWD can and do have LSD's. I personally have a Quaife differential which is an aftermarket piece. As for the maxima, only certain Canadian 5 speeds, and the Infiniti I30"T" have LSD's (which are viscous coupling btw- different design then the more expensive quaife) stock.

We can't use lockers because your drive wheels also steer and brake the vehicle.

Doing consistent 2 wheeled burnouts is very difficult with an open differential, particularly when we have the transmission on the extreme left of the car and a huge long driveshaft for the right wheel.
Nice sig...
Old 05-12-2002, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong

that has to be, hands down, the best signature I have ever seen

Jay
Old 05-12-2002, 09:13 AM

Nobody has touched on the fact that this young man has some seriously moronic classmates. Number one: Don't stoop to their level and try to "out burn-out" anyone. I have done serious burn-outs in muscle cars and motorcycles. This is only an illusion. I have seen cars that can burn-out and squeal the tires forever and are still slugs on the road. My biggest pleasures have come from, and I'll quote one of our Presidents here, "walking softly, but carrying a big stick". It is priceless to see the face of a 5.0 or so he thought was fast V-8 guy(s) when they start messing with you and you walk all over them. Number two: Why in the world would you want to lock horns with people who obviously get their info from their mom's sister's brother's down the street neighbor's three times removed? Ignorance is what has made import cars what they are today. Engineering will always prevail over ignorance anyday. Power-to-weight ratios is as foreign to domestic car guys as are our cars. Number three: You never try and argue a point with people who can't fathom their venerable V-8's ever losing. You have to prove it.

I am not condoning street racing or saying to do something stupid. With that said, Believe me when I tell you that I have played around with cars of all shapes and sizes foreign and domestic all of my life basically. I can tell you with experience, not heresay, that some V-8 guys will never give us the respect that is deserved. You know what?...It doesn't matter. As long as you are happy with your choices, screw them...tell them you'll see them in your rearview mirror someday.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
Nobody has touched on the fact that this young man has some seriously moronic classmates. Number one: Don't stoop to their level and try to "out burn-out" anyone. I have done serious burn-outs in muscle cars and motorcycles. This is only an illusion. I have seen cars that can burn-out and squeal the tires forever and are still slugs on the road. My biggest pleasures have come from, and I'll quote one of our Presidents here, "walking softly, but carrying a big stick". It is priceless to see the face of a 5.0 or so he thought was fast V-8 guy(s) when they start messing with you and you walk all over them. Number two: Why in the world would you want to lock horns with people who obviously get their info from their mom's sister's brother's down the street neighbor's three times removed? Ignorance is what has made import cars what they are today. Engineering will always prevail over ignorance anyday. Power-to-weight ratios is as foreign to domestic car guys as are our cars. Number three: You never try and argue a point with people who can't fathom their venerable V-8's ever losing. You have to prove it.

I am not condoning street racing or saying to do something stupid. With that said, Believe me when I tell you that I have played around with cars of all shapes and sizes foreign and domestic all of my life basically. I can tell you with experience, not heresay, that some V-8 guys will never give us the respect that is deserved. You know what?...It doesn't matter. As long as you are happy with your choices, screw them...tell them you'll see them in your rearview mirror someday.

...could not have said it better myself
Old 05-12-2002, 03:44 PM

AMEN!