General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Opinions on installed SMC shifter from you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 09:18 AM

any of you guys that have installed the SMC shifter wanna give some feedback?.. Did this help the shifting any?.. or just make it rougher? (I've heard the throws are shorter.. but the shifting gets rougher).. I'm debating whether to keep mine or not.. I don't drag race.. I don't street race (that much).. I really don't see much of a need for it for me.... ok convince me to keep it fellas
Old 11-29-2000, 09:31 AM
Keven97SE

The throws are noticeably shorter, at least where I have it adjusted (at ~2/3rd minimum throw). Notchier also, but not much. Installation is the MOST important thing...it affects feel sooo much...you HAVE to pound out the cat heat shield to eliminate rubbing with the bottom of the shifter, or the shifting will be way more difficult.

The shifter doesn't wobble around like a stick in jello anymore. The action is firmer and more defined than before. I like it very much.

I honestly don't think there's ANY real difference in throw times, though, at least nothing that would significantly decrease acceleration times. It's a mod that should be done solely to improve shifting feel and sportiness...really won't do a thing from a performance standpoint...at least that's my opinion.

Old 11-29-2000, 09:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks alot better too right? I still haven't had time to put mine in but I love the look of a short shifter much better than the stock frontier... i mean maxima shifter.

Chris
Old 11-29-2000, 09:41 AM
Keven97SE

Yes, that too. Not a huge difference, but must be ~1.5" or so shorter as well. Not nearly as short as on Miatas and BMWs, but still looks better. Not a huge diff, tho.

Originally posted by CKNY
Looks alot better too right? I still haven't had time to put mine in but I love the look of a short shifter much better than the stock frontier... i mean maxima shifter.

Chris

Old 11-29-2000, 09:57 AM
RussMaxManiac

I have mine to the shortest setting, and it was stiff at the beginning, but now it has loosened up alot! I really like it. You can check it out when I am in Dallas....

Old 11-29-2000, 05:45 PM
ejj

I love it! I installed it on its shortest setting and replaced the tranny fluid with Redline at the same time.

Shifting was stiff for about a week, but now I couldn't do without it!

Here are some pics to illustrate the height difference:

Stock shifter:

http://www.rit.edu/~ejj5875/maxima/img/center.jpg

SMC shifter:

http://www.rit.edu/~ejj5875/maxima/img/shifter_2.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~ejj5875/maxima/img/shifter_3.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~ejj5875/maxima/img/shifter_4.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~ejj5875/maxima/img/shifter_5.jpg

Old 11-29-2000, 06:31 PM

Nice wheels ejj5875.

I've got mine set at about 2/3 length. Should have set it short as possible. It's going to be a pain in the *** to take it out and put it in again.

Also what kind of dash cleaner do you use. It looks good.

[Edited by nismomax on 11-29-2000 at 08:34 PM]
Old 11-29-2000, 08:05 PM
ejj

Re: Nice wheels ejj5875.

Originally posted by nismomax
I've got mine set at about 2/3 length. Should have set it short as possible. It's going to be a pain in the *** to take it out and put it in again.

Also what kind of dash cleaner do you use. It looks good.

[Edited by nismomax on 11-29-2000 at 08:34 PM]
Thanks

I decided to go with the shortest setting because, well, I figured that if I spent the $$$ for a SHORT throw, I should get my money's worth! I love it.

As for dash cleaner....I don't really. I Armor-All every couple of weeks, but other than that I keep a box of swiffers under my seat. My dash doesn't really get dirty, just dusty, and they work great.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:48 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Nice wheels ejj5875.

Mine was installed at 2/3, but there is rubbing against the cat shield in 2nd and reverse. I'm going to bang some dents in it this weekend. It takes about 1 - 3 days to get used to, but it feels and looks alot better. The guys ruined my aftermarket **** when installing it. For some reason they tried to unscrew it with a wrench. It's all scratched. But I ordered at new momo **** and boot. Currently my **** does not feel that secure on the shifter.

A couple questions:

(1) How does the cat shield come off? Is it just a couple of screws?

(2) Will I know where do bang out the dents in the cat shield just by looking. What should I bang with? Will a hammer work?

Any other tips are appreciated too.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2000, 05:35 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Nice wheels ejj5875.

Originally posted by NickStam
Mine was installed at 2/3, but there is rubbing against the cat shield in 2nd and reverse. I'm going to bang some dents in it this weekend. It takes about 1 - 3 days to get used to, but it feels and looks alot better. The guys ruined my aftermarket **** when installing it. For some reason they tried to unscrew it with a wrench. It's all scratched. But I ordered at new momo **** and boot. Currently my **** does not feel that secure on the shifter.

A couple questions:

(1) How does the cat shield come off? Is it just a couple of screws?

(2) Will I know where do bang out the dents in the cat shield just by looking. What should I bang with? Will a hammer work?

Any other tips are appreciated too.

Thanks
(1) - Yes, If I recall correctly there where 5 screws....one at each corner and one at the top.

(2) - That's how I did it. Trial and error too. Its nice if you have someone else. That way you can lay under the car and hold the heat shield up and have them run through the gears. I used a rubber mallet. All it takes is a couple of good whacks.

I would suggest taking the cat off when you work on the shifter. I just left it hanging and it really got in the way. Its not that hard to remove, and I think it would be well worth it!
Old 11-30-2000, 08:47 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice wheels ejj5875.

Did you jack up the car at all or just sneak under there?
Old 11-30-2000, 09:38 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice wheels ejj5875.

Originally posted by NickStam
Did you jack up the car at all or just sneak under there?
I jacked the front of the car up. I don't think this is necessary, but I felt it would make things easier.