General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Newfound respect for modded Maxima's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 09:34 AM

Newfound respect for modded Maxima's

Hey all, what's up? I haven't posted on here in awhile but I had a run against one of your members (BriGuyMax, I think his user name is on here) last night and it was awesome. This was the first time I got to see in person a potent Maxima in the hands of somebody who really knew what he was doing with it.

So I meet him up at a local hangout and after the cops bust it up we head out to catch a light. He had 2 of his buds with him so one of them jumped into my car. We got out of town a bit and the first run we sort of messed around from a 45-50 roll, I started to pull slowly and maybe opened up a car lead by 80 or so? Our 2nd run was from a light and it got interupted by some dip**** in a Suburban who just HAD to pull out in front of us. Brian did manage to take me off the line and had a good car on me which I got back by 60 or so when I had to shut down.

Our 3rd run was the best, even though he still got me out of the hole....HOW DOES HE DO THAT?? Again I was down a car early, caught up by 70 and put a car back on him to 100. Brian is a super cool guy, has a very quick Maxima, and he knows how to drive that thing. I thank him for sparing me the NOS treatment, I know it had to be tempting for him to hit it when I started to pull by him. I dont know if he was that good at launching or I was just having a bad night, they felt decent to me though. Typically a GTP, especially modded, should get the holeshot on a Maxima. Oh well, good fun!

Brian, what are your mods exactly. I know you have the Y-pipe, Quaiffe (sp?), intake, exhaust & suspension mods. Am I missing anything? I'd love to meet up with you guys agsin sometime.

Later,

GTPguy97.....97 GTP Sedan, 14.35 @ 97.89
Old 05-11-2002, 09:38 AM
SLOW

Brian's car is slow... I call BS, you had to have him by at least 13.28357343081 bus lengths by 40 mph

BTW he has intake, exhaust, cat and y-pipe as power modifications.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: Newfound respect for modded Maxima's

Originally posted by GTPguy97
Hey all, what's up? I haven't posted on here in awhile but I had a run against one of your members (BriGuyMax, I think his user name is on here) last night and it was awesome. This was the first time I got to see in person a potent Maxima in the hands of somebody who really knew what he was doing with it.

So I meet him up at a local hangout and after the cops bust it up we head out to catch a light. He had 2 of his buds with him so one of them jumped into my car. We got out of town a bit and the first run we sort of messed around from a 45-50 roll, I started to pull slowly and maybe opened up a car lead by 80 or so? Our 2nd run was from a light and it got interupted by some dip**** in a Suburban who just HAD to pull out in front of us. Brian did manage to take me off the line and had a good car on me which I got back by 60 or so when I had to shut down.

Our 3rd run was the best, even though he still got me out of the hole....HOW DOES HE DO THAT?? Again I was down a car early, caught up by 70 and put a car back on him to 100. Brian is a super cool guy, has a very quick Maxima, and he knows how to drive that thing. I thank him for sparing me the NOS treatment, I know it had to be tempting for him to hit it when I started to pull by him. I dont know if he was that good at launching or I was just having a bad night, they felt decent to me though. Typically a GTP, especially modded, should get the holeshot on a Maxima. Oh well, good fun!

Brian, what are your mods exactly. I know you have the Y-pipe, Quaiffe (sp?), intake, exhaust & suspension mods. Am I missing anything? I'd love to meet up with you guys agsin sometime.

Later,

GTPguy97.....97 GTP Sedan, 14.35 @ 97.89
Hey man it was good to meet you too. I wish I could have had my car up there. Would you be interested in heading up to Rt 66 on a Tuesday night for test and tune anytime soon? Ill probably head up to Barrington and Irving Park next friday again with my car if you wanna run. From what I read above, I will probably get beat, but it's still fun.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Brian's car is slow... I call BS, you had to have him by at least 13.28357343081 bus lengths by 40 mph

BTW he has intake, exhaust, cat and y-pipe as power modifications.
HAHA...Neal better crunch your numbers again, i got 14.572837493232309 bus lengths to 40
Old 05-11-2002, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Copied from BriGuyMax's website:
Since then I have done everything from a Custom Stereo, to intake, full exhaust, racing clutch, Quaife Differential, underdrive pully, and a Dry NOS kit.
He's got nawz
-Cyrus
Old 05-11-2002, 09:48 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by Vyrus
Copied from BriGuyMax's website:

He's got nawz
-Cyrus
He elected not to schpray...
Old 05-11-2002, 10:15 AM

Yea, Scott I really had fun....I have videos of the runs, but I need to figure out how the **** to upload them and then find someone to host them for me.

We should have done an "on the bottle" run too...just to show everyone what difference a 100-shot can make.

I was runnning 1-step colder plugs last night and higher baseline fuel pressure, I don't really know how much of a difference that made though.....all in all...great fun!

Jason and Neal-
Old 05-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Hey GTPguy97, if you can ignore the flame war for a minute, are you modded? If you are what do you have and what else could you do for more power? Just curious how I would do against a GTP with my lightly modded 5 speed Max. I have a lot of respect for the GTP, for bang for the buck it can't be beat, but I decided the reliability and refinement of the Max was more important to me. Plus the available 5 speed of course .
Old 05-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Brian's 14.0 run with only a 50 shot?
Old 05-11-2002, 02:25 PM

Nice Run guys....hope I get the chance to see some street action soon!
l8tr -- SS
Old 05-11-2002, 02:25 PM

I ran 14.0@99 with a 50-shot and not much traction because of my stock suspension last fall...if you'd notice by the TRAP SPEED it is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than ANY 4th gen N/A maxima....

I ran 14.0@102 a couple weeks ago on a REALLY REALLY slippery track....with the UNTUNED 100-shot, stock suspension and a STOCK y-pipe. Since that time I have tuned my nitrous, put on aftermarket suspension and gotten my fixed y-pipe back. With even an OK launch I will be WELL into the 13s.

I ran the GTP WITHOUT MY NITROUS...becuase I would KILL him with my nitrous. I was only a carlength behind him at 100mph which means I should be FASTER than 14.5 down the 1/4 mile OFF THE BOTTLE...and this all was done with 1-step colder spark plugs which make the car run richer and higher fuel pressure which ALSO makes the car run richer.

You obviously don't understand that it's VERY difficult to launch a high-powered FWD car on street tires at a dragstrip.....with some drag radials I could have EASILY hit 13.7-13.8 with my 50-shot and should be VERY low 13s with my 100-shot.

The GTP guy is a FRIEND of mine...I was planning on posting the results when I got up this morning...but he called me and told me that he had already posted them.

BTW guys...GTPGuy97's mods are CAI, 3.4 pully, U-bend replacement, and a cat-back....other GTPs have run in the 13s with that set-up and I think that when he gets to the track next...he will be VERY close to 13s...
Old 05-11-2002, 03:57 PM

Maxtor, you are not welcome to post in this thread.

Everyone else, thanks for keeping it relatively civil.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Anachronism
Hey GTPguy97, if you can ignore the flame war for a minute, are you modded? If you are what do you have and what else could you do for more power? Just curious how I would do against a GTP with my lightly modded 5 speed Max. I have a lot of respect for the GTP, for bang for the buck it can't be beat, but I decided the reliability and refinement of the Max was more important to me. Plus the available 5 speed of course .
Come on, you guys dont think a couple of bus-length comments said tongue-in-cheek constitutes a flame war do you? I tried to post in the most un-confrontational way possible and I think I did that. It was a fun race and I learned something along the way, something I think I might have already known. Stock vs. stock and modded vs. modded it's going to be close but the GTP is going to be a couple clicks quicker. I just didn't think it would be THAT close, I thought I would get him by at least a car on the launch and then open it up by another car or so to 100. But that didn't happen and that's OK, it was still alot of fun.

Later,

As for if you could give a GTP a good run with a lightly modded Max? A stock GTP would probably be a good race for you, I'm sure you could beat a few and lose to a few. Against a modded GTP you wouldn't fare as well. I am assuming your car is less modded than Brian's is.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:00 PM

You need to race a 2K2.....preferably a 6spd....and in particular...me
Old 05-11-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Maximus1000
that'll be a good race
Old 05-11-2002, 10:07 PM

Come on, you guys dont think a couple of bus-length comments said tongue-in-cheek constitutes a flame war do you? I tried to post in the most un-confrontational way possible and I think I did that. It was a fun race and I learned something along the way, something I think I might have already known. Stock vs. stock and modded vs. modded it's going to be close but the GTP is going to be a couple clicks quicker. I just didn't think it would be THAT close, I thought I would get him by at least a car on the launch and then open it up by another car or so to 100. But that didn't happen and that's OK, it was still alot of fun.

Later,

As for if you could give a GTP a good run with a lightly modded Max? A stock GTP would probably be a good race for you, I'm sure you could beat a few and lose to a few. Against a modded GTP you wouldn't fare as well. I am assuming your car is less modded than Brian's is.
The flame war posts were all deleted by our wonderful moderator clee130...
Old 05-12-2002, 01:28 AM
SLOW

Yeah, you missed the flame war man. Brian is my friend, I wasn't flaming him I was just joking around, same with Max2000JP. There is another moron member of this board who shall remain nameless who actually was flaming. Flaming because he is a flamer.

Good race for the both of you.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Maximus1000
I have run a '02, it had dealer plates on it and I'm pretty sure it was an automatic. We only went from a stop to 60 because of traffic but I managed to put a little over a car on him in that time. I would expect a stock 6-speed to be a great race for me, I'm looking forward to running one. You wouldn't happen to be in the Chicago area would you?

Later,
Old 05-13-2002, 07:34 AM

Sorry, Florence, AL here. I do however get up to St. Louis quite a bit, but rarely to Chiacago.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:45 AM

I have run a '02, it had dealer plates on it and I'm pretty sure it was an automatic. We only went from a stop to 60 because of traffic but I managed to put a little over a car on him in that time. I would expect a stock 6-speed to be a great race for me, I'm looking forward to running one. You wouldn't happen to be in the Chicago area would you?

Later,
There was a 6-speed Max parked by us at the Dominicks parking lot. It was an asian guy, but his car wasn't broken in yet...only like 400 miles on it...he'd probably be willing to run you sometime....
Old 05-14-2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

There was a 6-speed Max parked by us at the Dominicks parking lot. It was an asian guy, but his car wasn't broken in yet...only like 400 miles on it...he'd probably be willing to run you sometime....
You didn't know that guy did you? I wonder if he is on this forum? Otherwise I guess we could just try and run into him there again.

Later,
Old 05-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Administrator

you are all slow ...

.055 is where its at