General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Scratch Removel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 05:37 PM

Scratch Removel

My White Maxima had a scrap from the driver side door to the rear bumper.(From a driveway light) Neways, I bought 3M Body Repair Rubbing Compound fine cut, and tryed it out. It work so well, with some buffing it came right out. It was cheap, easy and fast. You can't even tell it was there. It also worked on the scatches under the door handle. Any one else have this stuff or try others like it?
Old 05-11-2002, 06:16 PM

Re: Scratch Removel

Originally posted by Bad97MaxSE
My White Maxima had a scrap from the driver side door to the rear bumper.(From a driveway light) Neways, I bought 3M Body Repair Rubbing Compound fine cut, and tryed it out. It work so well, with some buffing it came right out. It was cheap, easy and fast. You can't even tell it was there. It also worked on the scatches under the door handle. Any one else have this stuff or try others like it?
how deep was the scratch? my car has some nice marks on it that i should take out.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:30 PM
lcf

maybe its bc your car is pearlwhite, but on my superblack it doesnt really work. sucks. as soon as saw that org members said it worked good i bought some and to tell you the truth there is no change whatsoever. it blows. the scratches arent even very deep. am i just not buffing hard enough? god, i had sore forearms for about a day after i tried this.

Old 05-11-2002, 10:28 PM

Re: Re: Scratch Removel

Originally posted by lcf
maybe its bc your car is pearlwhite, but on my superblack it doesnt really work. sucks. as soon as saw that org members said it worked good i bought some and to tell you the truth there is no change whatsoever. it blows. the scratches arent even very deep. am i just not buffing hard enough? god, i had sore forearms for about a day after i tried this.

try the turtle wax color cure... my friend had minor scratches on his black miata and used this and it worked for him.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That Color Cure stuff I've heard is like putting some crayon into the scratch, and only temporarily stays. Oh well, whatever works, right?

I think I'll give that 3M Body Repair stuff a try. If it can get a scratch out like you say...

even though I'm skeptical about this, it's worth a try.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:08 AM
john2002max

I will certainly try it out. Thanks for the great info, I have a few small scratches to work on!

Old 05-12-2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
That Color Cure stuff I've heard is like putting some crayon into the scratch, and only temporarily stays. Oh well, whatever works, right?

I think I'll give that 3M Body Repair stuff a try. If it can get a scratch out like you say...

even though I'm skeptical about this, it's worth a try.
most scratch removers are a ompound that consists of very fine grains if sanding material that sands the surrounding areas and fills in the scratches. you're not removing the scratch; you're just covering it up. i'm not sure how long the coplor cure crayon will hold, but he used it 3 weeks ago and it's still holding up.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: Scratch Removel

Originally posted by lcf

I've used Meguiar's cleaner wax and it always gets out scratches in the clear coat. I also have a white car thoguh. But one has to be ralistic--when a car is mint the finish looks like a mirror from an angle. It no longer looks like that when touched up or had body work done, so we have to live with some scratches and dings.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:05 AM
lcf

Re: Re: Re: Scratch Removel

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I've used Meguiar's cleaner wax and it always gets out scratches in the clear coat. I also have a white car thoguh. But one has to be ralistic--when a car is mint the finish looks like a mirror from an angle. It no longer looks like that when touched up or had body work done, so we have to live with some scratches and dings.
its all good. aftermarket paintjob isnt tooooooooooo far off.