General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How did you afford your Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 11:39 AM

ummm...with my lemonade stand money

seriously, dad paid for the cars, so they are his, he has a job, i dont, pretty straight forward (i'm a leecher )
Old 05-13-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by slick
ummm...with my lemonade stand money

seriously, dad paid for the cars, so they are his, he has a job, i dont, pretty straight forward (i'm a leecher )
i envy you

the bank still owns my car.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:47 AM

I had a 94 SE that my Dad gave to me in high school when it was a year old. I drove it up until last summer when I was almost killed by a drunk hit and run truck driver. I settled out of court for a 'healthy' sum and since my Maxima was destroyed I had to replace it. I let my emotions get the best of me and bought a Prelude on a nice summer day, modded it, loved/hated it. Sold it and bought a 2K2 Max. My dividends are making my car/insurance/rent payments. The beauty of a Morgan Stanley Active Asset Account.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:41 PM

Well lets see, I searched frantically for a VE 5-speed when my old car crapped out, and I couldn't find one. So we bought a car for my wife. Then of course, my old car started running again.. and we sold the old thing.

So all the money I saved for a Max was gone. Then we decided to buy a house next and had to pay off the wifes car to keep the debt down so we could get a good rate on the mortgage. Even less money for the Max.

Months and months later, I finally found a VE 5-speed that was up to my standards and the boss (my wife) allowed me to pull sufficient funds out of our account to purchase it.

Now it's paid for, and lightly modded, and I couldn't be happier.... unless I had some SFC's... and a RSB.... and bigger brakes..... and....

Old 05-13-2002, 01:47 PM

My dad bought me my I30. Also I used to sell **** at my high school, so that brought in alot of cash. Thats the best thing about going to a all guys high school (500 a week, not bad)
Old 05-13-2002, 01:49 PM

Hmmm..this brings back memories, finding the perfect car (except its auto) bringing her home the first day, giving her a nice wax job and looking at its fine a$$...now some mods and still going...
Old 05-13-2002, 01:51 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

First off, if my household was making 200K a year, I would not have a clue what to do with all that cash

I'm 27 (almost 28, tommorrow), have a 70K/yr combined income, wife works part time, own a house, married, bought both our cars with cash (96 SE and 98 Legacy GT wagon), save and invest 20% of what we make, and no debt except for the house. I do consider myself lucky. When I was 12, my grandfather started giving me $1000-1500 of stock a year. By the time I was 18, the market was booming. My stock dividends, part time working, and my parents got me thru college with no loans. I've continued to invest and reinvest my money, sold some stock to make a hefty down payment on the house, etc.

Unlike many in this org and in the US, we don't live above our means. We live in a modest 130K 3-bedroom ranch, own used cars, don't spend much money going out to eat or on clothes, don't carry credit card debt, etc. My wife is EXACTLY like Febbie from Friends. She's a massage therapist and believes in some of the "weirder" things (mostly vegetarian, meditates, teaches Yoga, makes bath salts, read Taro cards, etc). The great thing is she's not materialistic and doesn't like to accumulate things. She doesn't care about jewelery and only spends about $400 a year in clothes. I could've have gotten any luckier

Read "The Millionare Next Door". It's EXACTLY how we live our life. I want to be retired by the time I'm 50.

Dave
Old 05-13-2002, 02:24 PM

I got my max from my dad...his old car ...hopefully wheels to come soon if i can find a job this summer
Old 05-13-2002, 02:35 PM

Re: How did you afford your Max?

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
I'm curious how all of you can afford to "nice" up your cars, when half of you seem to be high-school/univ/college age.

I'm pushing 30, have a combined annual household income of over $200K, and still can't afford the **** on my car you guys do... mind you, my wife has a monster school debt we are paying off... lol.
Mike
You could afford to pay off 50K a hear in debt and still put away 15% in savings, have TWO Maximas, a mortgage and 2 kids on $200k (gross) a year.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Well...

Thanks to my parents I have no outstanding school debt and can support myself quite well and live comfortably and drive nice cars. Hard work through school in electrical engineering helped too. The Masters I'm working on right now (while working full-time) will help even more

As for mods, well, the reason I don't have any and really don't plan to mod at all is because my fiance is graduating from med school and will have around $80k of school debt that we'll have to pay off. She'll barely make enough to support herself during the next 4 years (medical residents literally make dirt) so I'll be floating darn near all of the $800/mo on that school loan!

After that is when she'll start making the big bucks, BUT...
  1. Then she'll need to buy into a practice (another $100k or so debt)
  2. I'll be in need of a new car by then...
  3. We'll need a downpayment for a house...
  4. We'll have a big mortgage...
  5. We'll probably be having some kiddo's (money suckers!) too.
  6. We'll still be paying off the FIRST $80k debt!
Frank,

I completely agree. Having worked in the banking industry for a few years, all the rich clients had the most debts/loans.
My wife is a dentist so her school debts were over $100K, and we are paying those off... once those are gone, along comes the cost of buying a practice, and then a house, so the bills stay steady. Hopefully the incomes will rise accordingly and the ratio of bills to income drops :-)
You aren't kidding, and we're in the same boat as you. Despite the fact that our combined income will be north of $200k within 4 years, we're still going to be dirt poor because of debt for close to 10 years probably.

Oh yeah, and then because we'll both technically be making a lot of money, Uncle Sam will want to tax the crap out of us because he thinks we're making too much. Never mind the fact that we'll have a debt load WELL BEYOND that of most folks and then some.

It's a good thing interest from school loans are tax deductible.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:57 PM

Re: Re: How did you afford your Max?

I bought my 97 GXE back in 2001 for 10.5K, intended to sell it after doing the roadtrip. However, I decided to keep my car after that, and so far, I only need to pay the remaining $2k.

I bought rims, tires, shocks, and springs.. but they are all there in the closet since I don't have the time to be home....until now.

Having said that, 200k per year of income is enormous.... but perhaps I have not reached that "level" of buying houses, etc. yet...
Old 05-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm 21, recently moved out on my own. Bought my '96 Maxima as a second vehicle, paid about a third of what it was brand new, thats the key. I also bought a car that was alredy modded to my likings, so I don't feel like i have to drop mad cheese on it. Now i can pay off all my credit card debt. Oh, I don't make that muc hmoney either, just don't waste it. Good readin= Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It's all about OPM.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:52 PM
I need a truck

i'm 19, luckily my parents are very smart and both have very good jobs .. total family income is 500+ ... thats about all i know .... my dad bought me my car, but he says i'm gonna have to start making payments on it .... ok i can do that .... i really bust my a$$ ... i worked some times 28 hours a weekend starting friday and ending sunday ... and now that school is out for the summer i work 2 jobs, sometimes going from 5 AM to 9 PM .... sooner or later i'll be able to buy everything that i'll need
Old 05-13-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
First off, if my household was making 200K a year, I would not have a clue what to do with all that cash

I'm 27 (almost 28, tommorrow), have a 70K/yr combined income, wife works part time, own a house, married, bought both our cars with cash (96 SE and 98 Legacy GT wagon), save and invest 20% of what we make, and no debt except for the house. I do consider myself lucky. When I was 12, my grandfather started giving me $1000-1500 of stock a year. By the time I was 18, the market was booming. My stock dividends, part time working, and my parents got me thru college with no loans. I've continued to invest and reinvest my money, sold some stock to make a hefty down payment on the house, etc.

Unlike many in this org and in the US, we don't live above our means. We live in a modest 130K 3-bedroom ranch, own used cars, don't spend much money going out to eat or on clothes, don't carry credit card debt, etc. My wife is EXACTLY like Febbie from Friends. She's a massage therapist and believes in some of the "weirder" things (mostly vegetarian, meditates, teaches Yoga, makes bath salts, read Taro cards, etc). The great thing is she's not materialistic and doesn't like to accumulate things. She doesn't care about jewelery and only spends about $400 a year in clothes. I could've have gotten any luckier

Read "The Millionare Next Door". It's EXACTLY how we live our life. I want to be retired by the time I'm 50.

Dave
Sometimes the questions and responses are way out there. 200k what, USD or CDN? What's the location? On a 200k dual-income, there are some places you simply cannot afford to live. Those would be Manhattan, NY Metro area, Boston, and San Fran. When I lived in Manhattan as I said my rent was over 4 grand per month. My employer paid it and collected it from the client.

The comment that 200k = Lambo, wow, what planet was that kid born on? I don't know too many people whose mortgages are less than 2 grand, which is tough for us ordinary people even though you deduct the interest which could amount to maybe 19k per year in the beginning. Property taxes can range from 5 to 8 grand. All these things eat away your pay.

It's ok to splurge sometimes. Mods are neither here nor there, go ahead and spend 1 grand if it makes your car hot and you happy. I bought some nice Natuzzi furniture because it lasts. I bought my girlfriend a pair of Blahniks and also one Choos and one Prada. She wanted them and it made her happy. To tell you the truth those Blahniks are ridiculous, cost almost as much as a Natuzzi leather chair. But again, human satisfaction is worth something, maybe not that much though!

Anyone who is not maxing out their 401k needs a lesson in finance--please people, make the largest possible contribution your employer will allow. Forgo the fancy car for your first house, you'd be surprised how quickly your equity can grow. Don't let the idea of a 1500-2000/mo mortgage scare you away--you're far more foolish if you drive that $409/mo Jaguar and live in an apt./condo.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:29 PM

that quiet a bit

Im 16 and dont own a car or anything my dad is the one with the maxima. But between both my parents the make about 110K a year gross and that pays a lot. We live in a 300K house with about 100K paid off. My dads 99 maxima is fully paid, my brothers 95 explorer is fully paid and my moms 02 rx300 is leased. My parents dont pay for school since i got to a public school and my brother has a scholarsip. My dad doesnt really mod his car he just has rims on it but i dont know how 200K isnt enought. By the way my dad also saves a large amount of money about 20K every year and he has his 401K and owns an apartment in dominican republic and another one here. Also we have only been living in the US for about 11 years and when we got here we were pretty much poor so i am very proud of my parents that they have been able to build so much. By the way my dad has about 150K cash in the bank not including his 401K.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:52 PM

I sell alcohol to under classmen and own my own store at a indoor flea market. i sell womens purses and mens wallets and breifcasses. I do make a lot of money from this. i just bought a 99 se 5 speed and already have a y pipe, clear corners, air intake and some lowering springs waiting to be installed on it when i recieve the car tomorrow!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:53 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I'm curious how all of you can afford to "nice" up your cars, when half of you seem to be high-school/univ/college age.

I'm pushing 30, have a combined annual household income of over $200K, and still can't afford the **** on my car you guys do... mind you, my wife has a monster school debt we are paying off... lol.

So my questions:

Who paid for your car?
How did you afford it?

Congrats to you all nonetheless! Either way, you got a Max

Mike
With this kind of cash, I'd be at Brabus, modding a CLK 55 !
Old 05-13-2002, 05:15 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Happy Birthday Dave :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave B
[B]First off, if my household was making 200K a year, I would not have a clue what to do with all that cash

I'm 27 (almost 28, tommorrow), have a 70K/yr combined income, wife works part time, own a house, married, bought both our cars with cash (96 SE and 98 Legacy GT wagon), save and invest 20% of what we make"

Congrats on the b-day, and on the sound financial management and the choice in "low-maintenance" wives And remember, that 70K$ U.S. is worth almost as much as my $CDN... lol...

And to the kid who sold **** to finance his car... hahahahaahahha.. Nice!!
Old 05-13-2002, 05:19 PM

I work hard to afford $1700/month worth of cars. BTW, I'm 26 and a senior voice engineer.

GC
Old 05-13-2002, 05:22 PM
!OG SNES OG!

I'll cut out my verbal diarrhea soon, I promise!

Originally posted by SteVTEC
=
As for mods, well, the reason I don't have any and really don't plan to mod at all is because my fiance is graduating from med school and will have around $80k of school debt that we'll have to pay off. She'll barely make enough to support herself during the next 4 years (medical residents literally make dirt) so I'll be floating darn near all of the $800/mo on that school loan!
After that is when she'll start making the big bucks, BUT...
  1. Then she'll need to buy into a practice (another $100k or so debt)
  2. I'll be in need of a new car by then...
  3. We'll need a downpayment for a house...
  4. We'll have a big mortgage...
  5. We'll probably be having some kiddo's (money suckers!) too.
  6. We'll still be paying off the FIRST $80k debt!
You aren't kidding, and we're in the same boat as you. Despite the fact that our combined income will be north of $200k within 4 years, we're still going to be dirt poor because of debt for close to 10 years probably.

Oh yeah, and then because we'll both technically be making a lot of money, Uncle Sam will want to tax the crap out of us because he thinks we're making too much. Never mind the fact that we'll have a debt load WELL BEYOND that of most folks and then some.
It's a good thing interest from school loans are tax deductible.
Steve, I second every single thing in that post. It'll be fun in the long run, but it ain't easy for the first couple of years! And then those kids come along, and it's "time to buy a mini-van"....

Ha, my kids are never gettin' in my Max... (when I actually have some...). We'll buy a family car so Jr's crap doesn't ruin my leather

Mike

p.s. congrats on the accomplishments
Old 05-13-2002, 05:33 PM

Re: I'll cut out my verbal diarrhea soon, I promise!

Steve, I second every single thing in that post. It'll be fun in the long run, but it ain't easy for the first couple of years! And then those kids come along, and it's "time to buy a mini-van"....

Ha, my kids are never gettin' in my Max... (when I actually have some...). We'll buy a family car so Jr's crap doesn't ruin my leather

Mike

p.s. congrats on the accomplishments
Sometimes I think we need to pinch ourselves. We have so much food to eat that our waistlines can be over 40" in many cases. We have everything we want materially within reason, and still complaints about loans, taxes, kids. C'mon now my other girlfriend's friends in Montréal remark how easy it is for us to drive a snazzy car and how cheap our taxes are. There are so many alternatives and advantages available to us. My cousin is a MD and he lives very well at age 36. They don't get alot of respect thanks to the HMOs but they're not starving either.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought my Max and when I refinanced it last year at 7%, they "accidentally" added 3k to the financing, thereby giving me basically a consumer loan at 7%.

And my Credit Card.

I make 60k, my girlfriend makes 20k. We live in a highrise in Downtown Seattle.

I just bought a SuperCharger! Woot!
Now it'll take me a year to pay it off.

IanS
Old 05-13-2002, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Sometimes the questions and responses are way out there. 200k what, USD or CDN? What's the location? On a 200k dual-income, there are some places you simply cannot afford to live. Those would be Manhattan, NY Metro area, Boston, and San Fran. When I lived in Manhattan as I said my rent was over 4 grand per month. My employer paid it and collected it from the client.

The comment that 200k = Lambo, wow, what planet was that kid born on? I don't know too many people whose mortgages are less than 2 grand, which is tough for us ordinary people even though you deduct the interest which could amount to maybe 19k per year in the beginning. Property taxes can range from 5 to 8 grand. All these things eat away your pay.

It's ok to splurge sometimes. Mods are neither here nor there, go ahead and spend 1 grand if it makes your car hot and you happy. I bought some nice Natuzzi furniture because it lasts. I bought my girlfriend a pair of Blahniks and also one Choos and one Prada. She wanted them and it made her happy. To tell you the truth those Blahniks are ridiculous, cost almost as much as a Natuzzi leather chair. But again, human satisfaction is worth something, maybe not that much though!

Anyone who is not maxing out their 401k needs a lesson in finance--please people, make the largest possible contribution your employer will allow. Forgo the fancy car for your first house, you'd be surprised how quickly your equity can grow. Don't let the idea of a 1500-2000/mo mortgage scare you away--you're far more foolish if you drive that $409/mo Jaguar and live in an apt./condo.
Hear hear!

Something about folks with "Frank" as usernames...
Old 05-13-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by FrankBattle

Hear hear!

Something about folks with "Frank" as usernames...
Old 05-13-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Cisco
I work hard to afford $1700/month worth of cars. BTW, I'm 26 and a senior voice engineer.

GC
That's not really something to be proud of; making $1700/month mortgage payments, now that's smart money.

You can't take it with you so you might as well spend it, yes?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:06 PM

Note to self do not get married or have kid's for the next 10yrs after college.Good financial planning 101
Old 05-13-2002, 08:23 PM

If you knew what I made per month, U would be proud too.

GC

That's not really something to be proud of; making $1700/month mortgage payments, now that's smart money.

You can't take it with you so you might as well spend it, yes?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:25 PM

GC

I'm proud of you just because you have a 2002 M3 rollin on 19s ...sweet car man!...what color?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the compliment. The color is Phoenix yellow.

GC

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

I'm proud of you just because you have a 2002 M3 rollin on 19s ...sweet car man!...what color?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:31 PM

So my questions:

Who paid for your car?
How did you afford it?

Congrats to you all nonetheless! Either way, you got a Max

Mike
This goes to show that the more you make the more expensive your lifestyle gets( i.e. bigger house, private school, boat, toys, summer home, etc. ) and you're still broke.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:31 PM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by 20th maxstyle
I used to deal drugs in high school (big time) I bought the car as an escape. It keeps me out of trouble now cuz i don't want to do anything else but drive. I am 19.
Me too, it actually made me stop, well the Max, and getting arrested.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:36 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

My wife and I pull down over 100K.

Mortgage is $1700k
max pmt 300
401k contribution $2000/mo
Food & utilities add up to 1500/mo summer, 1600/mo winter (heating costs more than cooling)
prepaying into maxima loan / credit cards/saving for first kid $2000/mo

Modding maxima - Whenever I can sneak a $20 bill out of the house
Old 05-14-2002, 02:31 AM

Loose the woman & you'll have tons of dough left over for mods!... worked for me!

G
Old 05-14-2002, 03:02 AM

GC

Not knocking you. Just pointing out in general that real estate is a better investment than a vehicle. The equity in ones cars does not grow...

But nice car anyway.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:20 AM

I do own real estate and am also shopping around for a 3rd home. I also invest quite a bit from time to time.

GC

Not knocking you. Just pointing out in general that real estate is a better investment than a vehicle. The equity in ones cars does not grow...

But nice car anyway.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:50 AM
Administrator

thats another good point someone made..

i think most of us have a different perception of 200k a year because of our location..

in the midwest (where Dave B and couple other guys live) the average 4 bed room house is about $150 - $200k .. in greenwich CT where i work.. the average 4 bedroom house is $3 million dollars.. if you want a 1 bedroom studio apartment to buy you are looking at $500 - $600k ...

so location has a lot to do with it also.. some of you guys can live on $200k a year.. and some of us are just squeezing by on $200k per year..

geez.. in Fairfield County Connecticut and Westchester County New York.. a single male age 24 - 29 years old making a little over $100k is just living midly comfortable able to afford a house and maybe a nice car.. and still pay bills.. where as in the midwest or in the south.. he is living it up like a play boy

location .. location .. location..

even though its easier to make 200k up here than it is down there
Old 05-14-2002, 05:58 AM

Sprint...

That's a good point made, living in the tri state area can be $$$.

GC

Originally posted by SprintMax

i think most of us have a different perception of 200k a year because of our location..

in the midwest (where Dave B and couple other guys live) the average 4 bed room house is about $150 - $200k .. in greenwich CT where i work.. the average 4 bedroom house is $3 million dollars.. if you want a 1 bedroom studio apartment to buy you are looking at $500 - $600k ...

so location has a lot to do with it also.. some of you guys can live on $200k a year.. and some of us are just squeezing by on $200k per year..

geez.. in Fairfield County Connecticut and Westchester County New York.. a single male age 24 - 29 years old making a little over $100k is just living midly comfortable able to afford a house and maybe a nice car.. and still pay bills.. where as in the midwest or in the south.. he is living it up like a play boy

Old 05-14-2002, 06:40 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax

Or you can move to Buffalo and get a descent 4 bedroom house for $90k.

I also noticed that Blaxxxima mentioned that he was from Canada...hell, that makes his $200k about $125k on a good day.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:02 AM

sh*t man...I just started house shopping and my price range is between
$350,000 - $400,000. I've looked at houses only on staten island so far and the sh*t they are selling for $350,000 is f*cking ridiculous.

God damn semi attached house, three bedrooms, two baths, with tiny backyards and no garages for $350,000+!!! Bullsh*t man....

Homes with garages, nice backyards, 3-4 bedrooms, that are unattached go for at least $425,000!!! This is why I must take care of all my mods before I buy a house
Old 05-14-2002, 08:05 AM

I hear you bro. Homes out on LI are dumb $$$. I'm looking at homes in Nassau county and a 4br, 2 bath contemp style home can easily fetch $500+. And that'll be a POS.

GC

Originally posted by acMAX
sh*t man...I just started house shopping and my price range is between
$350,000 - $400,000. I've looked at houses only on staten island so far and the sh*t they are selling for $350,000 is f*cking ridiculous.

God damn semi attached house, three bedrooms, two baths, with tiny backyards and no garages for $350,000+!!! Bullsh*t man....

Homes with garages, nice backyards, 3-4 bedrooms, that are unattached go for at least $425,000!!! This is why I must take care of all my mods before I buy a house

Quick Reply: How did you afford your Max?