General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I will never underestimate no-frills tires again

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will never underestimate no-frills tires again

Over the weekend I replace my Pirelli tires with a brand called Centennial which is carried by Sullivan Tire and I can't say enough a about these tires (Interceptor H). I'm inpressed. These tires grab like a mother, even in the rain. I took my lady to the mall yesterday and it was pooring rain, so this gave me a chance to test the wet weather grip.

"OMGoodness!!!!"

Being that I was in a parking lot (which was pretty empty) I didn't want to go to fast but I got the Max going up to about 30 and started throwing it into wild turns and this car did not slide at all. My Pirelli's would have understeered These new tires are unbelieveable.

"You ask how is the wet weather braking?" Did you know that when I got the car up to 40 and slammed on the brakes, the tires did not lock up? Yup, these tires have grip out the a$$ and the tires would not lock up like my Pirelli's did. I can't believe I ran the Pike with those Pirelli's.

On the highway, I cruised about 85 even with all of the water on the roads and didn't hydroplane once. I've hydroplaned with the Pirelli's.

The Centenial Interceptor give me much more confident in the wet than the Pirelli's did. What a difference! I recommend these tires to anyone looking for BIG traction in all conditions.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:17 AM

Similar experience, however expected:

Pirelli's should not be sold as all season because they are horrible in the rain/snow. I will only drive on Pirelli's in the summer.

I bought a set of cheap Yoks for winter tires ($48 a tire). I was blown away with how well they grip during dry weather. It was hard for me to burn out and I could take turns much faster then I should have.

I put the Pirelli's back on for the summer, they still grip better in dry, but I miss the "wet traction".

Erik
Old 05-13-2002, 06:46 AM
Granny Driven

Purelli suck in rain. I allmost killed my self on them going into a turn at like 5 mph yes 5pmh.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:49 AM

You guys talking about the Pirelli 7000SS?? I didn't think they were that bad in the rain Just noisy Admittedly, they were much better in the dry. Maybe the wet/dry relationship was too lopsided.

With my Kumhos, now, I feel alot more confident in the rain than my previous Pirellis, but the Pirellis were better in the dry.

But then again, could these impression be because we replaced old tired Pirellis with new tires?? Just think, the old pirelli will have its tread worn out, so its dry handling will get better than when it was new because it becoming more like a drag radial, but the wet handling will be a nightmare b/c of no grooves to channel out the water.

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
Purelli suck in rain. I allmost killed my self on them going into a turn at like 5 mph yes 5pmh.
That happened to me with my old Toyo's.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:59 AM
Granny Driven

I had p7000 and they also tarcked the road if it was bad. On the highway the car would be all over the road if wheel wasnt held tight.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:05 AM

I love my yoko avs dB...
Old 05-13-2002, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
But then again, could these impression be because we replaced old tired Pirellis with new tires??

DW
The Pirelli's P6000 Sport Veloce were a big difference over my Toyo's but the Centennial Interceptors have mutant grip compared to the Pirelli's in wet and dry conditions.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dunlop Sport W-10's

Got 'em for $60 per off Tirerack and they kick a$$. Some members complained about road noise...not a problem.
Add these to the El Cheapo - Good Tire List.
DL
Old 05-13-2002, 08:08 AM

I find that the Centennial tire does ride slightly harder but no other complaints to tell.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:11 AM

I love my Dunlop sp 9000's...Ive only had but boy are they nice, they also grip like a **** and are awesome around turns, my old h rated michelins were $hit compared to these, I actually feel safe goign fast with these, and noise is reduced a lot, but since they are 40 series you feel the road a lot more which I actually like more
Old 05-13-2002, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maximaracer28
I love my Dunlop sp 9000's...Ive only had but boy are they nice, they also grip like a **** and are awesome around turns, my old h rated michelins were $hit compared to these, I actually feel safe goign fast with these, and noise is reduced a lot, but since they are 40 series you feel the road a lot more which I actually like more
I bet they would suck in rain/snow.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:39 AM

So how much are the Centennials?

Where could we get the centennial interceptors? Does Sears carry them?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:44 AM

Re: So how much are the Centennials?

Originally posted by hokiemax
Where could we get the centennial interceptors? Does Sears carry them?
Sullivan Tire.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:18 AM

Looks like Centennial is a spin-off of Dunlop >>

clicky

It's now independent from the Goodyear family...

I'm going to look out for these out the next time I stop by a shop...maybe others besides Sullivan carry it.

Good lookin' out Deezo...BTW, which model did oyu buy? I'm liking the Interceptor ZR-X...
Old 05-13-2002, 10:29 AM

Re: Looks like Centennial is a spin-off of Dunlop >>

Originally posted by Albertt
clicky

It's now independent from the Goodyear family...

I'm going to look out for these out the next time I stop by a shop...maybe others besides Sullivan carry it.

Good lookin' out Deezo...BTW, which model did oyu buy? I'm liking the Interceptor ZR-X...
These tires closly resemble the Sport A2's........

For now I have the Interceptor H Series. I can't wait to hit RT 15 in CT on my way to the NYC. I'm going to test out the Max in the curves down there.

With a "AA" wet traction grade, these tires stick like glue.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

I bet they would suck in rain/snow.

I'll take that bet then your money. Read up on the 9000 they are designed to perform in rain and snow and are very quiet tires. The good thing about these tires is they perform well over the life of the tire.

Most likely the tires originally stated in this thread will suck after 10 - 15k.

Your car is only as good as the tires it rides on....
Old 05-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My experience is the exact opposite. I bought Yokohama Avid V4 215/55 (all-season performance) to go with my new 16" K1s. They rode good, grabbed pretty good, stopped very well, corner reasonably well (for a tall all-season tire), and were quiet. My biggest gripe was the ho-hum looks and tallish profile of the 215/55. 1.5 months ago I bought a set of Sumitomo HTR Z 225/50. The difference is absolutely night and day. Looks make such an improvement to the overall character of the car. I haven't found the limit of these tires yet. At the track I was launching at 3000rpms, I'd barely get a chirp, and no bog. I was getting consistent low to mid 2.2s (very good for me and my track). On the street I can launch very hard. I'm amazed. I barely chirp 2nd now. Handling is amazing. The car is far more tossable and stays glued, no more wallow feeling. Wet weather traction is far better. The only downside will be the 9.0" wide Z-rated tire in the snow.

I'll never go back to all-season performance tires. All-season and performance can not be used in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned.

Dave
Old 05-13-2002, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

I'll never go back to all-season performance tires. All-season and performance can not be used in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned.

Dave
Being that these tires are all-season high performance, they are incredible. That's all I can say for now. I used to lockup my brakes on dry pavement with my Pirelli's and the Interceptor's won't even lock up on wet pavement. I may never go with another tire. I would like to see what my 60' and 1/4 mile times will drop too.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by deezo

I would like to se what my 60' and 1/4 mile times will drop too.
I thought my ETs would drop because I can launch much harder. Unfortunately the weather has been much warmer and humid than it was when I went 14.6s (70s vs 40s). I ran 5 14.9s two weeks ago with 2.2X 60 foots.

Dave
Old 05-13-2002, 01:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's because tire technology advances like computor technology. Very fast. Remember the old YOKOHAMA AVS tires? Great for dry but nosiy and terrible wet traction. Now, there are all season tires that outpeform those "performance tires".

We should all look for the newest technology in tires. Sometimes that technology is real expensive(ie.. top of the line Pirellis, Michelins etc). But the high tech does filter down to the lower tires also.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

I thought my ETs would drop because I can launch much harder. Unfortunately the weather has been much warmer and humid than it was when I went 14.6s (70s vs 40s). I ran 5 14.9s two weeks ago with 2.2X 60 foots.

Dave
Humidity sucks but I'll be heading to NH to do some tests while I'm still stock to see if I can hit a low 15.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
It's because tire technology advances like computor technology. Very fast. Remember the old YOKOHAMA AVS tires? Great for dry but nosiy and terrible wet traction. Now, there are all season tires that outpeform those "performance tires".

We should all look for the newest technology in tires. Sometimes that technology is real expensive(ie.. top of the line Pirellis, Michelins etc). But the high tech does filter down to the lower tires also.
Even looking at the comparison chart of these tires compared to all of the top brands in its class, the Dumlop/Centennial Sport A2's kicked big ***** across the board. Dunlop has found the technology and the compound to make things happen in the wet weather.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:09 PM

I'd love to own Michelin Pilot Sports, but limited resources prevents me from spending ~$200/tire on my car. Gotta make them filter down that technology faster!
It's slowly happenig, though. Pirelli is setting up an Alliance with Cooper Tire, and Dunlop has one with Sullivan (or Centennial tire). Cooper and Sullivan want the technology, and Michelin and Pirelli need the volume. Match made in heaven

DW

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Old 05-17-2002, 06:34 PM

you cant compare a brand new set of tires to an older set. the new set hasnt been heat cycled like the old ones have. as a tire goes through numerous heat cycles it hardens the compound.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:38 PM

Hi Pete
Old 05-17-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE98
you cant compare a brand new set of tires to an older set. the new set hasnt been heat cycled like the old ones have. as a tire goes through numerous heat cycles it hardens the compound.
Prove this to me dude.

Anyway, where does it say anywhere in my thread that I was comparing old tires to new tires? I'm comparing the 2 tires as a whole. Hell, my Pirelli's had more traction with 40000 miles on them than when they had less 10000. The more wear, the more the contact patch. The only thing that started to get scary was the wet weather traction.