General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

People with VB experience: Ive got a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:53 PM

People with VB experience: Ive got a question

Got the VB installed today at a local AAMCO. The job took about 2 hours and they said everything went smoothly. Upon starting the car I noticed two things immediately: (1) The Check Engine Light was on and (2) It was kinda tough to move the shifter. Ignoring these for a second, I took to the roads. Since cops run Blacksburg, I couldn't open it up too much but from what I was able to accomplish, the VB seems to be performing as advertised. Quick and firm shifts and eliminating most of the shift lag.

When I got back to my house I did a CE Diag and I got about a million codes -- a bunch of 12s and some others.

From what I can remember, they included:

1201 - Shift Solenoid B (Automatic Transmission)
1202 - Undefined
1203 - Overrun clutch solenoid valve (Automatic Transmission)
1204 - Torque Converter clutch solenoid valve (Automatic Transmission)

Anyway, I got tired of looking at all of the codes so I decided to reset the ECU and go for another drive to get gas about 1/2 mile away. When I was leaving the gas station the CE light popped up again but when I got back to diag I only got one code and the others were gone:

1101 - Inhibitor Switch

Im not sure what this is, but I think it has something to do with ECU thinking my car is in a different gear than it is. An example of this is that 2 of the 3 times Ive started my car since picking it up, Ive had to move the shifter into Neutral, which I used to have to do sometimes about 8-10 months ago.

The car seems to be performing fine, but im not sure what these codes mean.

Has anyone experienced these type of traits before?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2002, 04:20 PM

what up i got my vb put in like 1-2 months ago...same problem with the code 12-4 and 5-4 Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU
...are the ones i got...i still have them...i think they installed it cockeyed becuase thats what the guy did to mine and i asked don and he said that its was tilted...i dont think yours is as bad...mine was so bad that the neutral safety switch was engaged because in park the gear wasnt locked in...you should ask don what u should do...my car had a fasted trap speed before this mod (g-tech) o well im done with modding...in 2 yrs im planing on a used GS400 and mod it
Old 05-14-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by BLacKMax69
what up i got my vb put in like 1-2 months ago...same problem with the code 12-4 and 5-4 Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU
...are the ones i got...i still have them...i think they installed it cockeyed becuase thats what the guy did to mine and i asked don and he said that its was tilted...i dont think yours is as bad...mine was so bad that the neutral safety switch was engaged because in park the gear wasnt locked in...you should ask don what u should do...my car had a fasted trap speed before this mod (g-tech) o well im done with modding...in 2 yrs im planing on a used GS400 and mod it
Explain what the neutral safety switch did to your car exactly?

Don said that he doubts the manual linkage pin is lined up perfectly and if the codes persist, it's probably the little spring on the line pressure solenoid (the solenoid away from the other 4 solenoids).

Im leaving town tomorrow so I then asked Don if any of the problems needed immediate attention and he said no.

The shifting is great, I love it.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I didn't get any codes when I had my VB installed. A friend of mine helped me install the VB. He was really careful of the install. He took his time to make sure everything was just right. So maybe have something to do with the install?
Old 05-14-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I didn't get any codes when I had my VB installed. A friend of mine helped me install the VB. He was really careful of the install. He took his time to make sure everything was just right. So maybe have something to do with the install?
In Don's words: "Sounds like they did the typical "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" professional installation. I doubt they were cautious with anything."

What a headache.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by DCmax

In Don's words: "Sounds like they did the typical "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" professional installation. I doubt they were cautious with anything."

What a headache.

As some of you may have read on my thread about VB troubles, installation is an absolute key. I had some substantially more serious trouble when I did my install. My problem was that it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd at all. The tranny was stuck in 2nd gear. After much checking and re-checking, the problem was a single flat o-ring that was chewed up. My point is that I took my time and followed the directions exactly, but I didn't check any of the parts before re-installing. Big mistake. It cost me almost a case of synthetic tranny fluid, 2 days of headaches, and 2 days of labor. Bottom line is that the part is only as good as the install. Believe me, when you do have it done correctly, you'll be even happier with the mod.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

As some of you may have read on my thread about VB troubles, installation is an absolute key. I had some substantially more serious trouble when I did my install. My problem was that it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd at all. The tranny was stuck in 2nd gear. After much checking and re-checking, the problem was a single flat o-ring that was chewed up. My point is that I took my time and followed the directions exactly, but I didn't check any of the parts before re-installing. Big mistake. It cost me almost a case of synthetic tranny fluid, 2 days of headaches, and 2 days of labor. Bottom line is that the part is only as good as the install. Believe me, when you do have it done correctly, you'll be even happier with the mod.
I recall your troubles. The performance of the mod is working great, it's like driving a different car, it's just these little things that have to torture me like when I do anything to my car.

I think this latest round is the Maxima gods punishing me for not getting under the car and doing it myself but Im caught up in moving 3 years of stuff out of a town house.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:23 PM

My problem was that it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd at all. The tranny was stuck in 2nd gear.
When your tranny wouldnt shift to 3rd what did it do? Did it just stay in 2nd and allow you to push it to redline or would it just kick back to 1st?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:58 PM

When your tranny wouldnt shift to 3rd what did it do? Did it just stay in 2nd and allow you to push it to redline or would it just kick back to 1st?
It would shift perfectly fine from 1st to 2nd, but then would just sit there in 2nd to redline. Perfect 1-2 but that was it. I found the problem only after taking the whole thing down and basically starting over.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:28 PM

It would shift perfectly fine from 1st to 2nd, but then would just sit there in 2nd to redline. Perfect 1-2 but that was it. I found the problem only after taking the whole thing down and basically starting over.
Hmm, what would it do at redline?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:13 AM

Hmm, what would it do at redline?
nothing just sit there. I didn't do that but once to see if I pushed it would it finally engage and it didn't. I would suspect that it would have just hit the rev limiter.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

They screwed up. Take it back and tell them to fix it.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Wish I could but Im leaving for Fairfax in about an hour. I wonder if the AAMCO in Fairfax will back up the work of an AAMCO in Blacksburg.

The timing of this is just all wrong.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:59 AM

Wish I could but Im leaving for Fairfax in about an hour. I wonder if the AAMCO in Fairfax will back up the work of an AAMCO in Blacksburg.

The timing of this is just all wrong.
Yep, I guess they will -- check this:

http://www.aamco.com/aamco/aamcoservices/warranty.htm
Old 05-15-2002, 10:05 AM

I replaced all the o-rings on the vb solenoid pack when I did the job a year ago. I actually got the o-rings for free, it was a local tranny shop, the guy was like "ehhh take'em".

For the inhibitor switch problem, it may simply need to to be adjusted, I have a ve but I think our trannys are almost identical.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE
I replaced all the o-rings on the vb solenoid pack when I did the job a year ago. I actually got the o-rings for free, it was a local tranny shop, the guy was like "ehhh take'em".

For the inhibitor switch problem, it may simply need to to be adjusted, I have a ve but I think our trannys are almost identical.
The o-rings that messed me up was not the ones in the solenoid pack, it was one of the four that go between the upper tranny case and the VB itself. One was chewed and it didn't want to shift. Found it after taking down the VB twice and finally looking at those closely. Your problem sounds like what don is telling you, the linkage is not lined up correctly or there is a bind or bent piece somewhere. If the shifts are fine and it's just the "mechanics" of the tranny that is giving your probs, then it probably has to do with the install definetly.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:41 PM

i bought my VB used, and its been on for over a year...not 1 problem to date.

aamco fuked up.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:42 PM

hehhe yeah the vb mod is just more intimidating than it seems. man when i was taking mine out and putting it in i must have posted like 3 post on each occation and shot don a grip of e-mails. i was more worried that i would **** something up but with that is you take every percaution humanly posible to make sure that you do everything posible to make your vb install perfect. not some mechanics that can really careless about your car. it is a job that i can easily do now.

in sort do it yourself all you need are dons directions and you will be fine.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Ditto. When I had the VB in my car, I had no check engine light or anything. If they followed the instructions right you should have been fine.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:36 PM
MAX

Got mine used too. Never a problem. Got it from Ant95se and we swapped the same day. Took a bit longer than 2 hours, but he was real careful and did everything right, no shortcuts. I'd take it back to AAMCO.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:06 PM

man hust do it yourself save yourself the agony.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by jdmmax
man hust do it yourself save yourself the agony.
In his case, since he paid money for someone to do he should take it back and let them make it right. If they don't, I would ask for my money back and then do it myself.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:30 PM

In his case, since he paid money for someone to do he should take it back and let them make it right. If they don't, I would ask for my money back and then do it myself.

yeah thats true...... but by now i would already feel like they were a bunch of incompitant morons that can't even follow a set of simple instructions. because i would have seen that many of us on the board were able to do it ourselves.

its just that feeling of if you want something done then do it yourself.

thats all wouldn't want them to go in and still get the d@mn thing wrong.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:40 PM

Drove back from school today and did some crucial high speed driving and it was great.

I'm still going in to AAMCO tomorrow. We'll see what happens.