General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Cattman Y pipe has returned, but more trouble has been spelled...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 04:01 PM

My Cattman Y pipe has returned, but more trouble has been spelled

I was taking a nap when the UPS man rung the door bell. Yup my Y pipe has returned. I believe mine was one of the first ones back, mainly cause I havent heard anyone else's returned yet. Anyway the new flex looks good. Its shiny stainless steel (not for long...) and I believe it is indeed LONGER then the previous flex as this one measures 6" for the flexable section. A peek inside reveals that the flex is very much what Brian described-lined with the inners that resemble the spiral wrapping a public payphone is made out of. None of that woven crap like before. I'm going to go outside right now to put it on. I cross all of my fingers hoping that it will fit on with no fitment issues.

Sorry- no digicam.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Whooo-hoooo! Break out the Micky-D's serving trays! hehe. Good luck man, you need a break today at....... hehe
Old 05-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Great, I just bought a used Cattman Y-pipe that was recently repaired a few weeks ago. The flex section measures only 4 inches in length (actual woven area) and the lining is also woven, not spiral
Old 05-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Whooo-hoooo! Break out the Micky-D's serving trays! hehe. Good luck man, you need a break today at....... hehe
Ruthless!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 07:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just got mine back too. It was actually delivered yesterday to the wrong house, but I tracked it down. I have been without this thing for over 2 unbearable months now. This just get's me all warm and tickly inside that it's finally here. Eric, I think ours were in the first group of pipes to be fixed or so I was told. And yes, the flex joint seems to be of very good quality. I can't put the darn thing on because my roomate is parked in the garage and I can't get ahold of him nor do I have his keys. I would hate to have to call a tow truck. What a good day!
Old 05-14-2002, 07:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MAXINXS
I just got mine back too. It was actually delivered yesterday to the wrong house, but I tracked it down. I have been without this thing for over 2 unbearable months now. This just get's me all warm and tickly inside that it's finally here. Eric, I think ours were in the first group of pipes to be fixed or so I was told. And yes, the flex joint seems to be of very good quality. I can't put the darn thing on because my roomate is parked in the garage and I can't get ahold of him nor do I have his keys. I would hate to have to call a tow truck. What a good day!
So your flex section lining has the spiral-type design like eric's?
Old 05-14-2002, 07:47 PM

More power to do massive pillow....... you know the rest

Glad to hear you got your y-pipe fixed, let us know how the car feels now!
Old 05-14-2002, 11:47 PM

I DO have the worst luck in the world

Its now 2:30 in the morning. I saw Spiderman tonight but anyway I MUST HAVE THE WORST LUCK IN THE WORLD WITH THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I managed to force fit on the "repaired" Y pipe, only to find out that ONCE AGAIN IT IS ROTATIONALLY OFF AT THE CAT FLANGE! I've had this problem before, and it was corrected to fit perfectly. But now it is once again off, and its rotated the other way. The rotation is so bad- that now my Stillen B pipe's hanger (that faces the driver side- near the S bends) is in physical contact with the body of the car. This is craziness!

This is how my saga of my Y pipe woes goes. In december of 2000 I bought the pipe. I had a hard time getting the thing on because back then it was rotationally off clockwise, but it wasnt that bad and I still managed to get it on. In July 2001 the flex springs a leak, so it gets sent back. When it comes back, I find the cat flange rotationally off too far clockwise. I send the pipe back AGAIN, yet this wouldnt be the last. When I got it back I was happy, because it then fit on the car like a glove. However, my nightmares would reoccur about 2 months ago I discover my Y pipe had the busted and collapsed flex section. So once again it goes out. NOW, I GET THE PIPE BACK AGAIN AND IT DOESNT FIT!

Total time of car without Y pipe, probably 4-5 months at this point.

To top that off, I was planning on going on a 150 mile trip to the ocean this coming weekend with my motorcycle in tow. I thought great! I'll have the pipe back for the time being, but now it looks like that idea is shot. I'm really really ticked. I'm almost rethinking selling the car and taking my losses once again. Its apparent now that nothing goes right for me. To make matters worse, if I've got as far as putting in a blower, we got people with problems that one too...its just bad news.

This car and its aftermarket parts have not been good to me at all. I must be cursed. I hope to God that nobody else has gone thru the same stuff as I have.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:55 PM

i honestly don't think NE BODY has gone through what you have, no offense Eric.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:59 PM

Re: I DO have the worst luck in the world

I honestly now believe that the car doesnt like you at all.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:23 AM

Re: Re: I DO have the worst luck in the world

Originally posted by Nismo
I honestly now believe that the car doesnt like you at all.

Yeah like in the movie Christine.

Seriously though Eric, sell your car, problem solved.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:42 AM

Sell his car because an aftermarket supplier can't make a pipe correct? Some how this advice doesn't seem right to me.

There are so many aftermarket suppliers that manufacture and design performance parts, yet they are not engineers. If what Eric is saying is correct then I think maybe Cattman needs to hire another engineer. Why should Eric sell his car?
Old 05-15-2002, 05:50 AM

Can you have it repaired locally?
Old 05-15-2002, 05:55 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Eric, PLEASE SELL THE CAR.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:56 AM

heh...must be the pillow grime in the way of the pipe.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:02 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

SELL SELL SELL!! sell the car and all your troubles will be gone. get a honda or camry...but don't look at the nissan label.
just put the 4 sale sign up right now.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Larry
Sell his car because an aftermarket supplier can't make a pipe correct? Some how this advice doesn't seem right to me.

There are so many aftermarket suppliers that manufacture and design performance parts, yet they are not engineers. If what Eric is saying is correct then I think maybe Cattman needs to hire another engineer. Why should Eric sell his car?
with 33 post i don't think you have been around enough to hear the whole story.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Larry

There's a history with Eric that is hard for the veterans to fathom. Trust us, he should dump the vehicle....
Old 05-15-2002, 06:35 AM

Wow eric can't catch a break. I never thought I would say this, but you should get rid of your car. You've had nothing but troubles.

I've had some issues with my car and aftermarket parts, but they're nothing compared to yours. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think Cattman should give you a free set of coilovers for your troubles
Or at least give send you a completely new Y-pipe.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Eric.. what was the cost incurred on this?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

That's what you get for buying a "high quality" Cattman Y-pipe. You really can't blame Nissan for Cattman's poor QC.

Dave
Old 05-15-2002, 07:41 AM

Time to call the guys at Warpspeed, I think that is where I am getting my y-pipe from.....
Old 05-15-2002, 07:50 AM

And who was the dude

that flamed me for saying that Cattman's products are not really that great??
Old 05-15-2002, 07:53 AM

Re: And who was the dude

Originally posted by ArcticMax
that flamed me for saying that Cattman's products are not really that great??
It should have been me, but I don't think it was.

I'm tired of the bashing Cattman gets for problems that he admits to. If he was covering it up, that would be one thing, but impuning his character and his products when they are probably on most of the Maximas here (since Warpspeed is relatively new) isn't necessary and only causes me to take your opinions on this and other things less seriously.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:31 AM

I've had nothing but bad luck with things. OEM or aftermarket. Anyway I shot an email to Cattman, we'll see what he has to say about it.

For the new guy, I've had nothing but bad luck with this car. It doesnt like me, and I dont like it either. I've had tranny trouble, Y pipe trouble, motor mount trouble, dealer trouble and in general I dont like the car that much for a variety of reasons.

Lets see, I could probably get it repaired locally, but that entails money and time which I shouldnt be spending this much of. Also the local shops will tend to make a mig welded mess, but one thing is for sure, the result will be immediate and if done ON the car it will most likely fit. I havent ruled out this possibility, but me spending more $ turns me off.

As for spending $, the flex section was zero cost to me other then alot of swearing pulling and reinstalling pipes. He sent a call tag last time. I did pay shipping i think once or twice before to ship it back across the country (I'm in MD, he's in AZ) so I say $30 or so on shipping. Brian's probably lost more money on my pipe then anybody else's. Its been back at his place 3 times now, and possibily a fourth.

What I might wind up doing is buying another pipe from somewhere else, getting this fixed and then selling it.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:16 PM

Eric,

My condolences on your problems. Just thank God you're mechanically inclined and saved A LOT of money that way. Dump the ride and move on!

I've already had to install/uninstall/install the Y, and at $60 bucks a pop, it can get expensive. Keeping my fingers corssed too that my flew isn't busted.

Again, S O R R Y!
Old 05-15-2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Str8ridin
Eric,

My condolences on your problems. Just thank God you're mechanically inclined and saved A LOT of money that way. Dump the ride and move on!

I've already had to install/uninstall/install the Y, and at $60 bucks a pop, it can get expensive. Keeping my fingers corssed too that my flew isn't busted.

Again, S O R R Y!
Str8ridin, I've read your post about your fitment issues with Cattman pipe. I also know that you bought yours through group deal from Custommaxima.com. I was part of that group deal as well, so we both had the same problem. Spent so much money on installation myself. How's your pipe? Do you still have vibration problem?
Old 05-15-2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by ROWELL

Str8ridin, I've read your post about your fitment issues with Cattman pipe. I also know that you bought yours through group deal from Custommaxima.com. I was part of that group deal as well, so we both had the same problem. Spent so much money on installation myself. How's your pipe? Do you still have vibration problem?
Yes, but now only when I put the car in Reverse. I suspect the engine shifts when I engage reverse and the pipe then rests against the K-member of my frame thus vibrating my whole car.

I found a fix though. I purchased an exhaust repair kit for $1.50 at Walmart. It contained this material that you can wrap around your exhaust to fix a leak. Well, I got under my car, folded that material up into a tight and thick little bundle and wedged it in between where the Y-pipe comes into contact with the frame to provide a cushion. It worked. The trick was to find some sort of material that is soft, yet does not melt (rubber gaskets to NOT work...I learned the smelly way) and cushion the contact area. I'm not sure how long it will last (took me 5 minutes to do), but $1.50 is better than $120 plus waiting.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Str8ridin

Yes, but now only when I put the car in Reverse. I suspect the engine shifts when I engage reverse and the pipe then rests against the K-member of my frame thus vibrating my whole car.

I found a fix though. I purchased an exhaust repair kit for $1.50 at Walmart. It contained this material that you can wrap around your exhaust to fix a leak. Well, I got under my car, folded that material up into a tight and thick little bundle and wedged it in between where the Y-pipe comes into contact with the frame to provide a cushion. It worked. The trick was to find some sort of material that is soft, yet does not melt (rubber gaskets to NOT work...I learned the smelly way) and cushion the contact area. I'm not sure how long it will last (took me 5 minutes to do), but $1.50 is better than $120 plus waiting.
Thanks for your advise. I'll do that. If it works for you, I think it will work for me since mine is also hitting the K-member. The shop who installed mine already put a dent on the pipe itself to fit. However, I still feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel. It is just frustrating spending $400 on the pipe that does not fit right.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
[B]

To top that off, I was planning on going on a 150 mile trip to the ocean this coming weekend with my motorcycle in tow. I thought great! I'll have the pipe back for the time being, but now it looks like that idea is shot. I'm really really ticked. I'm almost rethinking selling the car and taking my losses once again. Its apparent now that nothing goes right for me. To make matters worse, if I've got as far as putting in a blower, we got people with problems that one too...its just bad news.
Heading down to OC for the hot rod/musclecar weekend Eh? If you see a green triumph speed triple it's me!
Old 05-15-2002, 03:21 PM

Mine came back, but was sold before it even got here. Its been shipped to the new owner.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:56 PM

Well sorry to hear about your fitment issues Eric! I don't know why you have had such bad luck with your car. I have been wondering if I will have the same fitment problem. I was taking out the old pipe to install the new one. One of the bolts that comes off the exhaust manifold was on really tight. I guess I put too much force on it, because the whole stud broke off. I was so pi$$ed. Now I don't know what the hell to do. Is it possible to have another stud attatched somehow or am I going to have to buy a whole new manifold? I was doing the install myself to try and save some money and do the job myself and now this happens. This has NOT been fun for me either.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

So your flex section lining has the spiral-type design like eric's?
Yes it does.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:35 PM

I got a reply today, looks like I am getting a new production Y pipe to replace this one. I think I'm quite deserving though, after 4 times with this gone wrong. Not to mention my oodles of $ I've spent there on a Quaife differential, motor mounts and who knows what else.

Apparently, all the "old" pipes were made from fabricator A (my words). Fabricator A was also the one fixing the ones busted and obviously they did a pispoor job. The email I got wasnt particularly clear but it sounds like the "new" pipes are being done by Fabricator B. Sounds like cattman was having problems with Fabricator A. We'll see how well fabricator B does.

So in the meantime I was underneath my car tonight swearing and getting more scraped knuckles removing the non-fitting Y and putting on the OEM one back on. I really really really hope the 4th time will be the charm.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:39 AM

Just buy a Budget Y pipe to use while your cattman pipe is in for repairs!! LOL!! At least it'll fit perfectly and comes with the spiral flex section for about 180 shipped.

Originally posted by ericdwong
Its now 2:30 in the morning. I saw Spiderman tonight but anyway I MUST HAVE THE WORST LUCK IN THE WORLD WITH THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I managed to force fit on the "repaired" Y pipe, only to find out that ONCE AGAIN IT IS ROTATIONALLY OFF AT THE CAT FLANGE! I've had this problem before, and it was corrected to fit perfectly. But now it is once again off, and its rotated the other way. The rotation is so bad- that now my Stillen B pipe's hanger (that faces the driver side- near the S bends) is in physical contact with the body of the car. This is craziness!

This is how my saga of my Y pipe woes goes. In december of 2000 I bought the pipe. I had a hard time getting the thing on because back then it was rotationally off clockwise, but it wasnt that bad and I still managed to get it on. In July 2001 the flex springs a leak, so it gets sent back. When it comes back, I find the cat flange rotationally off too far clockwise. I send the pipe back AGAIN, yet this wouldnt be the last. When I got it back I was happy, because it then fit on the car like a glove. However, my nightmares would reoccur about 2 months ago I discover my Y pipe had the busted and collapsed flex section. So once again it goes out. NOW, I GET THE PIPE BACK AGAIN AND IT DOESNT FIT!

Total time of car without Y pipe, probably 4-5 months at this point.

This car and its aftermarket parts have not been good to me at all. I must be cursed. I hope to God that nobody else has gone thru the same stuff as I have.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Or you could buy an RT cat.

The bolt flanges rotate so that even if the y is off rotationally, the flange on the cat will rotate to the correct position.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: I DO have the worst luck in the world

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
Just buy a Budget Y pipe to use while your cattman pipe is in for repairs!! LOL!! At least it'll fit perfectly and comes with the spiral flex section for about 180 shipped.

Wow, budget is only 180 shipped? cattman and stillen are 400, and the new warpspeed ones are 300 right? dang, i didn't know budget was that low... a budget might be in the future very soon for me...
Old 05-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

that sucks Eric...i know youve had lots of probs with your Max, i bet ive had as much if not more probs then you. some of them was because of the sheit i did to it. but other is bad luck. i kinda feel like im cursed as well...if you really belive that. Stock is the best way to go, cause if you mod your next car youll prolly have probs as well