General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Strange clutch problem last night at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 07:20 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Strange clutch problem last night at the track

Last night I went to the track again (Still NA). I still wasn't getting the 60' times that I had hoped for (I was getting 2.2's) so I decided to try and extra long bunout. Well, just to be cool I decied to try and get into second gear during the burn out so I wouldn't bounce off the limiter like I was doing before.

So, mid-burnout I went to shift into second, and in my haste to do so quickly, missed. I quick jammed it into second and floored it, and the RMS's headed upwards. Cool.

Then however, I realized that my tires weren't spinning, and at the same time I was greated with the smell of burning clucth. Damn.

Here's the strange part...after slipping the clutch for a good 3-5 seconds, the clutch pedal just stayed on the floor. I had to pump it two times (jerking the car forward in the process) to get it to come back to normal. Once I got the pedal up, things felt fine, and I decided to continue with the race. I took it really easy, running a 15.0 on a 14.5 dial, and everything felt fine. The next few runs I gave it more and more, running a 14.7 and 14.5, and all was good.

So what caused the clutch pedal to stay down? Could I have boiled the fluid? Clutch doesn't slip on the road at all, so I think it was just a momentary slip due to my stupidity.

BTW - Best was a 14.555@95.00 , and theblue and I did a race will full cars (3 people for me, 4 for him) and I kicked his ***, 15.7 to 16.0.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:54 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Having the clutch drop to floor is pretty typical when you smoke it really bad. I know this is a big problem with the 98+ F-Bodies, but they have no ill side effects other than that annoying "dead on the floor" feeling for a few seconds or so.

Man I wish I could run your ETs. I went out last night a ran. The weather wasn't exactly favorable (70s, 80% humidity) and I got 4 14.9s@95mph. My 60 foots really suck...still (2.3X). It seems in the warmer weather that my car's performance is suffering in the 1/8 mile. Maybe I will just have to get some drag radials for my 15s.

Dave
Old 05-16-2002, 10:05 AM
ejj

Originally posted by Dave B
Having the clutch drop to floor is pretty typical when you smoke it really bad. I know this is a big problem with the 98+ F-Bodies, but they have no ill side effects other than that annoying "dead on the floor" feeling for a few seconds or so.
Any idea why this happens? Does the fliud boil? Clutch stick to the flywheel? Like I said, everything is fine, but its just wierd

Man I wish I could run your ETs. I went out last night a ran. The weather wasn't exactly favorable (70s, 80% humidity) and I got 4 14.9s@95mph. My 60 foots really suck...still (2.3X). It seems in the warmer weather that my car's performance is suffering in the 1/8 mile. Maybe I will just have to get some drag radials for my 15s.

Last night was pretty good. Mid 60's in both temp and humidity. Neither myself or theblue can get these damn drag radials to do what we hoped. I am getting the same 60' and ET's that I was with my steel 15's and street tires. Hell, even my trap speeds are really damn close. Then again, this car is atleast 200lbs heavier than my old GXE, so I guess it isn't that bad.

However, I purchased them for when the Nitrous is installed and traction down the track may be hard to come by.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:08 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Low fluid level?
Bad Master/Slave Clutch cylinder?
Bad Throwout bearing?
Old 05-16-2002, 10:13 AM
ejj

Originally posted by Chunger
Low fluid level?
Bad Master/Slave Clutch cylinder?
Bad Throwout bearing?
Doubtful. Everything drives perfect both before and after this happend...just stuck after the "all clutch burnout" (massive slip).

In the 2+ years that I've owned Maxima's, this is the first time that I've gotten a stock clutch to slip, and I race alot. My 97 has 92k miles on the stock clutch still, never slipped, and my 99 has 72k on its stock clutck, and this was the first slip I've gotten out of either. Considering all the problems I've had with Nissan clutches in the past (made them slip on a 91 stanza with three different Nissan clutches, a 95 200sx and a 88 Maxima), I'm impressed. Nissan did something right with the clutch on these cars. Up until the purchase of my Maxima, I've always considered the clutch to be the biggest weakness of a Nissan car.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by ejj5875

Nissan did something right with the clutch on these cars. Up until the purchase of my Maxima, I've always considered the clutch to be the biggest weakness of a Nissan car.
Stock clutch, 82,000 miles, and 100 1/4 mile passes and she's never slipped once. She's never given me any foul odors either. I wish the clutch would bite a little harder going into 3rd and 4th, but what can I expect on a clutch with this kind of abuse and mileage? I'm very impressed with this factory clutch. If ACT wasn't around, I would go with OEM again.

Dave
Old 05-16-2002, 10:23 AM
ejj

Originally posted by Dave B

If ACT wasn't around, I would go with OEM again.
Same here...if I were staying NA of course.