General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Driving with a dented y-pipe can be dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 07:50 PM

This is a FYI message. When Dallas and I dynod my car (93 SE)comparing our WarpSpeed pipe to the other pipe, we pulled the front plugs which were OE platinum with about 10K on them, we also checked my JWT pop intake. All looked well. When we ran the tests we found that the Max. had a high speed miss. It missed with both y-pipes.When I got back to Minnesota I took the Max. to the Nissan shop. They found the the rear 3 plug electrodes were almost completly burned away. Thank God for a platinum tip. The mechanic told me it could have been very expensive if a chunk had broken off. He ran every diagnostic test with nothing found wrong. When I came to pick up the car we talked abouthis findings and our WarpSpeed project y-pipe. I told him about the problem with dented anterior down pipes of the other pipe.I had run the other pipe in a fairly dented condition for at least 8K. The only theory he could come up with is that because the 3rd Gen Max. only has 1 02 sensor located near the Cat. the dent was causing the front bank of cylinders to run richer, no effect to the rear bank. When the 02 sensor adjusted the richness, it caused the rear bank to run too lean/hot thus burning up the plugs. It makes sense to me, What do you mechanical types think?
Let it be known right here, I am not bad mouthing the "other" pipe. Any down pipe can be dented. If this is you, I would pull out the rear plugs for a check.

Dan WSP