General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 06:58 AM
jade

front end vibration

i recently brought a 1998 max. gle. About a week after driving it i started feeling a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds 40mph and up. below 40mph the vibration is less but still apparent. I took the care back to the dealer i bought the car from twice and was told nothing could be found (of course they never road tested the car?).
In frustration i took the car to have the tires balanced and rotated with no results. me and the tech. took a road test and he was totally baffled and had no clue as to where the vibration was coming from. He even called his tech support line and could find no tech references to this type of problem.He suggested I have the tranny checked. I think he's wrong. Could the vibration be to a tire thread problem?
i'm so glad to be able to communicate with fellow max owners. i love mine so much. We own a 1988 max also we love them both and won't drive anything else. PLEASE HELP!

Old 05-19-2002, 08:28 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

After balancing the front tires and the steering wheels still vibrates? I'm wondering if they did it right. I had that problem last week after I got new rims and tires. I would hit 70mph and the steering wheel and front end shook like a vibrating bed. Went back to the tire shop, rebalanced and fixed the problem.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:41 AM

Front end shake on a Maxima can be caused by the following:

Motormounts/ tranny mounts : EZ to diagnose, maybe be expensive to fix
CV joints: EZ diagnose, is overlooked alot, not that bad to fix.
wheel bearing: EZ diagnose, preloaded knowledge is required by mechanic
tires/ wheels: Try rotating tires, seek a better place to have balance done.
lower control arm bushings: Overlooked often, Poly ones are available from Energy Suspension/Courtesy Nissan.
tie rods: outer or inner ends may be loose causing a slight dead center feeling.
lower ball joints: will cause unwanted movement and noise, resulting in wear on other components.
loose suspension components: time itself can cause.

Good Luck.

-Peace

Old 05-19-2002, 01:44 PM

Wheel vibration

After wheel balancing is checked there are the disk brakes, play in the front suspention links, front wheel bearings ( a Nissan thing), axle shaft assembly, transmition internals. It's just a sugested order from easyest($) to worst($$$).
Just my 2 cents opignon.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:05 PM
jade

Originally posted by BlackCat
After balancing the front tires and the steering wheels still vibrates? I'm wondering if they did it right. I had that problem last week after I got new rims and tires. I would hit 70mph and the steering wheel and front end shook like a vibrating bed. Went back to the tire shop, rebalanced and fixed the problem.
thanks black cat i'll have it done at another shop. it's alot cheaper
than a traanny job .thanks for the reply