General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima or Pathfinder???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 12:05 PM

Maxima or Pathfinder???

I have a 2001 Maxima SE AE ... beautiful car and immaculate. I need a larger vehicle, though, and cannot see myself in a minivan. I am considering the Pathfinder and am wondering what others think about the vehicle. What are the strong points and weak points of the Pathfinder? Thanks
Old 05-19-2002, 12:16 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My choices

1)Xterra S/C 4WD

2)Pathfinder 2WD

If you are getting a 2WD SUV just for looks, get the Pathfinder. It's more of a civilized SUV.

If you are getting the SUV for what they were first invented for, get the Supercharged Xterra 4wheel drive. Probubly the best SUV for offroading.I think they are the sweetest SUV's available. I would get the older one tho without those gay headlight covers tho.

So it basically comes down to if your a woman get the P-finder, if your a man get the X-terra
Old 05-19-2002, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go with the Pathfinder... it's much more refined than the Xterra. A nice vehicle, but as all Nissans, cannot sell.
-Cyrus
Old 05-19-2002, 12:40 PM

As a owner of 3 Pathfinders since 1992, I have to say Pathfinder. The XTERRA is too bare bones for me, its crude, and ride is horrible. My Pathfinder gets the job done, especially last nite in a parking lot full of water.

2K1 5spd SE Pathfinders can beat 4th gen automatics. Intake, headers exhaust has the potential to beat 4th gen manuals. Get the HD towing package for lower gears, and you can easily beat an automatic to 60mph. Add juice, and hold on, w/ HD components 75 shot is not out of the question. Stock oil cooler, HD clutch, I'll guarantee mid 14s on 75 shot.

4WD Pathfinders, don't even think about racing it, but Xterra vs Pathfinder, no contest Pathfinder, since you have a Maxima already.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Blu
the tits

pathfinder all the way my buddy i work with has a 2001 and it is very quick for an SUV but if money is not an issue get the QX4 much better on the interior but the looks are about the same just my &.02
Old 05-19-2002, 02:28 PM

Pathfinder man...we have two...2k1 and 2k2...both 4wd LEs...they are awesome cars, and have pretty good storage space, and look great...none of that BS that Craig Mack was talkin about...Pathfinders rule
Old 05-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also say the Pathfinder. My dad bought one after he had a Maxima because we needed a towing vehicle. He got a 2WD LE and loves it. I don't know too much about the Xterra but I have heard that the ride quality is horrible and I can't imagine them even competing with the power/luxery of a Pathfinder.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: Maxima or Pathfinder???

Originally posted by LAMax
I have a 2001 Maxima SE AE ... beautiful car and immaculate. I need a larger vehicle, though, and cannot see myself in a minivan. I am considering the Pathfinder and am wondering what others think about the vehicle. What are the strong points and weak points of the Pathfinder? Thanks
Wasn't the AE a really expensive car that has like almost 30 hp less than a 2k2? How can you afford to throw away all that coyne on depreciation, and if you can, why do it again with a Nissan? It's like rolling a boulder to the top of the hill only to have it roll back down and run over you at the bottom.

If you say you've learned your lesson then it's time for a MDX. Spend the money, what you save in depriciation alone over a Nissan product will partially offset the initial cost.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:51 PM

Before I got the Maxima, I tested the Pathfinder and X-terra (see a pattern? tested a v-6 altima too!!). The X-terra is definitely less refined and rougher ride, and slower, but is probably better off-road. Get the Pathfinder!!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:24 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

pathfinder..

I have both a 2k max and pf. I say the PF. the PF has been an excellent vehicle.

what sold us as driving the Qx4, then realizing we could have the exact same suv for thousands less. (albeit service sucks with Nissan)

do some research here..
http://forums.vmag.com/suvpathfinder0200/
Old 05-20-2002, 05:39 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The Pathfinder is a very cool ride indeed. My fiance and I seriously considered one but she ended up going with a Toyota Highlander Limited AWD because...

a) She wanted a car-like ride, and the Pathfinder is truck-based.
b) She didn't need serious off-road capabilities which the PF has.
c) She didn't need the HD towing capabilities of the PF (5000lb vs 3500lb)
d) She wanted a larger backseat (Highlander has way more room in back)
e) Didn't need a ton of cargo space (PF has more)
f) Low operational costs were important (HL gets much better mileage and only needs 87 octane fuel)

Both are great SUV's but it just depends on what features are important to you. If you're thinking of buying an SUV wait to checkout the new 2003 Honda Pilot too. It'll have class-leading performance thanks to the Acura MDX engine and 5AT tranny, and 8 passenger seating too.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:05 AM

I say get the Pathy

I too made the switch about 6 months ago to a '96 pathfinder SE from a '99 Loaded Maxima SE. My reason was the need for more cargo room, two dogs and a future family on the way that the Maxima wasn't going to support, and My Fiance's CL was not about to attempt. If you have the AE now, I recomend getting the New Pathy's. The 165 HP of my Pathfinder is pathetic. Unless you live in a warm and dry climate or you have driven RWD vehicles before, I also recomend a 4WD model. Even at 165 HP, I have spun the truck when in 2WD mode here in Philadelphia.

If you are looking for performace upgrades, There is a company that puts together a Twin Screw super charger kit. Unlike the Vortex SC, which is made for High-End HP Racing, the Twin Screw dilivers Max Tourque at nearly 2500 RPMs and Peaks HP in considerably less time too. At the stock boost is about 6psi and is supposed to give you about 240 HP at the crank on 93 octane, on a stock truck.

However, let me tell you this, if you are looking for a LOT of extra room, go for a larger SUV, because you'll be supprised at how quickly you can use up the Pathy's space. If anyone needs info about that supercharger, just send me an E-mail, frezny2000@yahoo.com
Old 05-20-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: I say get the Pathy

Originally posted by Frezny
I too made the switch about 6 months ago to a '96 pathfinder SE from a '99 Loaded Maxima SE. My reason was the need for more cargo room, two dogs and a future family on the way that the Maxima wasn't going to support, and My Fiance's CL was not about to attempt. If you have the AE now, I recomend getting the New Pathy's. The 165 HP of my Pathfinder is pathetic. Unless you live in a warm and dry climate or you have driven RWD vehicles before, I also recomend a 4WD model. Even at 165 HP, I have spun the truck when in 2WD mode here in Philadelphia.

If you are looking for performace upgrades, There is a company that puts together a Twin Screw super charger kit. Unlike the Vortex SC, which is made for High-End HP Racing, the Twin Screw dilivers Max Tourque at nearly 2500 RPMs and Peaks HP in considerably less time too. At the stock boost is about 6psi and is supposed to give you about 240 HP at the crank on 93 octane, on a stock truck.

However, let me tell you this, if you are looking for a LOT of extra room, go for a larger SUV, because you'll be supprised at how quickly you can use up the Pathy's space. If anyone needs info about that supercharger, just send me an E-mail, frezny2000@yahoo.com
My 92 PF had VG30DE swap + S/C Kit modified from a Explorer. Rolled her during some trail climbing.
99.5 SE PF A/T 4WD: VG33E, Intake, UDP, Cams, ECU, HD Front Suspension, headers, free flow exhaust. 50 shot NX. Runs high 15s, N/A. Runs low 15, high 14s on juice.
2001 SE PF M/T 2WD: VQ35DE, stripped interior, Bilstein shocks/ GC Coilovers, Nissan HD Tow package w/ HD clutch, Nissan Motorsports rear end w/ LSD, intake, 75 shot ZEX system, headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Enkei 17" wheels w/ Toyo Proxes Truck Tires. Runs low 14s on street.

The roots type S/C for the PF VG33E has been scrapped, however if you contact Nissan Motorsports USA, they will provide you info on custom cams, ECU.
Planning Powerdyne S/C'd 2K1 PF during the summer.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 AM

Hogan,

You say that Pathfinders can beat Maxima Automatics, which I find a little hard to believe.

I looked up some times and it was the 99-2000 Pathfinder, and did 0-60 in 10+ seconds..I know the new ones have the 3.5 VQ with 240HP (Am I right?) ..but they are still SUV's and still heavy, so I don't see how they could get anything but smoked by a Maxima.

Please shed some light on these supercars for us
Old 05-20-2002, 10:30 AM
Blu
the tits

i think the 240 hp pathfinder is in the low to mid 8 second range to 60 not bad at all for a suv with a reasonalbe price tag but the escalade in the 7's thats fast but you pay for it though

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Hogan,

You say that Pathfinders can beat Maxima Automatics, which I find a little hard to believe.

I looked up some times and it was the 99-2000 Pathfinder, and did 0-60 in 10+ seconds..I know the new ones have the 3.5 VQ with 240HP (Am I right?) ..but they are still SUV's and still heavy, so I don't see how they could get anything but smoked by a Maxima.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2
i think the 240 hp pathfinder is in the low to mid 8 second range to 60 not bad at all for a suv with a reasonalbe price tag but the escalade in the 7's thats fast but you pay for it though

Yea...but he's saying they can take out automatic maxima's..mine is doing 0-60 in roughly 6.9-7.2 seconds (not g-tech, in that case it would be like 4 seconds )..stock automatic max's run about 7.3-7.9 0-60.....so.....Hogan, care to jump in now?
Old 05-20-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Hogan,

As a owner of 3 Pathfinders since 1992, I have to say Pathfinder. The XTERRA is too bare bones for me, its crude, and ride is horrible. My Pathfinder gets the job done, especially last nite in a parking lot full of water.

2K1 5spd SE Pathfinders can beat 4th gen automatics. Intake, headers exhaust has the potential to beat 4th gen manuals. Get the HD towing package for lower gears, and you can easily beat an automatic to 60mph. Add juice, and hold on, w/ HD components 75 shot is not out of the question. Stock oil cooler, HD clutch, I'll guarantee mid 14s on 75 shot.

4WD Pathfinders, don't even think about racing it, but Xterra vs Pathfinder, no contest Pathfinder, since you have a Maxima already.
Dude, seriously get your f-n head out of them f-n magazines. Everytime you post up some f-n time-**** issue, you f-n always go to a f-n magazine time. GO READ MY POST AGAIN ON WHAT I SAID. See which PATHFINDER CAN BEAT A 4th GEN AUTO. If I said 4wds, don't bother to race, doesn't that mean I was talking about a 2WD SE ?

99-2000 Pathfinders had 170hp which obviously have no chance, but we have sick low end and w/ the right gears can easily outrun a Maxima off the line to give them a good scare. BTW those are 4WD times. BTW Anyone in NY will agree that my 99.5 PF is not something to sleep on, even one S/C'd Maxima found out how hard I can launch my PF and hold him off til 45mph

The new ones are 240 in A/T, and 250 in M/T. 3.5SE 4WD A/T have run 0-60 in the high 7s, w/ a 0-30 around 3.0 seconds. Remember this is 4WD, get a 2WD car, and stock will run 0-60 around low 7s. I beat a 4th gen stick, and he claims to run 15.1 in the 1/4. I won't mention names, but they know who they are. I was obviously on juice.

There are mods out there for the car, so its not totally out of the question, and keep reading it over again, MODs.

My 2001 PF was picked up at an insurance auction, stripped, big time for $4700, slowly getting interior pieces, speedo, air bags, front seats, everything else is missing, there must've been a serious system in the car before, cause there was tons of MONSTER CABLE, and amp sized hold down screw holes.

Craig, I have more than enough eyewitness proof of what a PF can truly do.

-BTW stop reading them f-n mags.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

Dude, seriously get your f-n head out of them f-n magazines. Everytime you post up some f-n time-**** issue, you f-n always go to a f-n magazine time. GO READ MY POST AGAIN ON WHAT I SAID. See which PATHFINDER CAN BEAT A 4th GEN AUTO. If I said 4wds, don't bother to race, doesn't that mean I was talking about a 2WD SE ?

99-2000 Pathfinders had 170hp which obviously have no chance, but we have sick low end and w/ the right gears can easily outrun a Maxima off the line to give them a good scare. BTW those are 4WD times. BTW Anyone in NY will agree that my 99.5 PF is not something to sleep on, even one S/C'd Maxima found out how hard I can launch my PF and hold him off til 45mph

The new ones are 240 in A/T, and 250 in M/T. 3.5SE 4WD A/T have run 0-60 in the high 7s, w/ a 0-30 around 3.0 seconds. Remember this is 4WD, get a 2WD car, and stock will run 0-60 around low 7s. I beat a 4th gen stick, and he claims to run 15.1 in the 1/4. I won't mention names, but they know who they are. I was obviously on juice.

There are mods out there for the car, so its not totally out of the question, and keep reading it over again, MODs.

My 2001 PF was picked up at an insurance auction, stripped, big time for $4700, slowly getting interior pieces, speedo, air bags, front seats, everything else is missing, there must've been a serious system in the car before, cause there was tons of MONSTER CABLE, and amp sized hold down screw holes.

Craig, I have more than enough eyewitness proof of what a PF can truly do.

-BTW stop reading them f-n mags.
It's all gravy

As long as it's another Nissan, especially another one with the VQ I would gladly admit defeat!

-TakeItEasy
Old 05-20-2002, 12:50 PM

Re: Re: I say get the Pathy

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

99.5 SE PF A/T 4WD: VG33E, Intake, UDP, Cams, ECU, HD Front Suspension, headers, free flow exhaust. 50 shot NX. Runs high 15s, N/A. Runs low 15, high 14s on juice.

The roots type S/C for the PF VG33E has been scrapped, however if you contact Nissan Motorsports USA, they will provide you info on custom cams, ECU.
Planning Powerdyne S/C'd 2K1 PF during the summer.
What did you ever do with that 99.5? The little research that I've done has uncover the Kennedy Bell(sp?) SC kit, wich I think uses a Powerdyne SC. I'm looking to give this truck some *****, where should I go for that?
Old 05-20-2002, 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: I say get the Pathy

Originally posted by Frezny

What did you ever do with that 99.5? The little research that I've done has uncover the Kennedy Bell(sp?) SC kit, wich I think uses a Powerdyne SC. I'm looking to give this truck some *****, where should I go for that?
Kenny Bell dropped the S/C idea since no one bought any. It's not that hard to actually get parts, just be prepared to spend dough. My cousin works for Nissan, and I have the 2002 Nissan Motorsports catalog, and it includes NISMO Items. I do know of several tuners in CA who do work on VG33E motors, and have been part of Nissan's Race Teams, especially those in Dessert Racing.
Headers are available from STILLEN or any competent weld shop. Exhaust can be custom made, and intake...VG33E uses a 4th Gen MAF, and the VQ35DE uses 5th gen MAF, so its easy to adapt intakes. Getting gears from Nissan Motorsports and the LSD helped me launch the car hard. I do go offroading in my 99.5, and have rolled my 92 PF before.(NOT FUN)
If you need help w/ parts, drop me an email. I can point you in the right direction.