General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

True or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 12:07 PM

Ok here's the story:

Calculus class was over and I headed to my car. On the way, I saw this kid I knew from high school. He happens to drive a 1991 Q45 so he knows a thing or two about Nissans. Anyways he saw my car and said it was sweet and all that stuff. Then he told me that he went to an Infiniti dealer and one of the salespeople drove a hooked up Maxima. That guy's Maxima was making 270 horses naturally aspirated. Then I asked him, "Is it supercharged?" He says, "No" That was the part that made me skeptical.

Might I add this guy likes to lie a lot too.

I was just wondering if 270 horses can be achieved without some form of forced induction.
Old 11-30-2000, 12:09 PM

Sorry I forgot to add that he said it was a 4th generation Max.
Old 11-30-2000, 12:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

I would have to say it would be ALOT easier to lie than to make 270hp(flywheel) on a 4-gen na maxima.

Originally posted by MaxPerformanceSE
Sorry I forgot to add that he said it was a 4th generation Max.
Old 11-30-2000, 12:32 PM

well

impossible .. no
But very very unlikely ....
270 horse is A LOT of power for an NA car..

Ant
Old 11-30-2000, 12:33 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Your friend may not be lying. The dealer could very well have told him that his max makes 270 HP. Of course, that dealer has got to be full of $HIT.
Old 11-30-2000, 12:34 PM

I seriously doubt it....
Old 11-30-2000, 01:03 PM

270 HP?

We used to call this the "Burger King Dyno" rating. That's where all the locals used to hang out, bench race, and "seat of the pants" dyno the car.

Maybe with $15K worth of engine work......
Old 11-30-2000, 01:31 PM
Got Bent?

I don't think so.....maybe he meant to say 217......270 is just a bit unbelievable
Old 11-30-2000, 02:03 PM

270 is possible, but a lot of internal work has to be done. With the basic bolt ons: chip, intake, full exhaust, a 4th gen Max would put out ~ 230 hp. The addition of a higher flowing upper and lower intake plenum, a 3 or 5 angle valve job, larger throttle body, more aggressive camshafts, higher compression, bored .1 or .2 L.. can bring it up to 260-270 hp.
Old 11-30-2000, 02:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

270-230 is 40hp. So along w/ your mods, it would probably take full custom headers, even larger bore to about 3.4 or 3.5(assuming you can even do that to a steel sleeved aluminum block) and some serious dyno time w/ a custom chip. And on top of that be emissions legal(it's a dealer right?) If you did it w/ serious cams and not the overbore, then emissions become super difficult. If you do it w/ compression (or both), getting decent ignition timing w/o detonating become super difficult. Plus the all would take a set of adjustable cam gears that don't exist yet for the VQ.

It's tough to do becuase the maxima intake manifold is a compromise to begin with.

Originally posted by got rice?
270 is possible, but a lot of internal work has to be done. With the basic bolt ons: chip, intake, full exhaust, a 4th gen Max would put out ~ 230 hp. The addition of a higher flowing upper and lower intake plenum, a 3 or 5 angle valve job, larger throttle body, more aggressive camshafts, higher compression, bored .1 or .2 L.. can bring it up to 260-270 hp.
Old 11-30-2000, 02:48 PM

You can't even bore out an aluminum engine...

All that much. When ppl bore out their Hondas, it's like .20 over. Not many ppl even do it, because there's so many other ways to make power. It's not much, and it's doubtful that you can bore much more(or even the same) in the VQ. Aluminum block engines just can't handle being bored out very much. The reason the Pathfinder's displacement went up .5L is because Nissan increased the stroke.

Now we've been though this zillions of times over...Who knows if it really works or not, but if the dude switched out the longer-stroke crank and shorter connecting rods from the Pathfinder(possibly he got the parts cheaper, since he works at the dealer), he could make around 260hp @the flywheel since the Max has a better flowing cylinder head that the 'Finder. Now if that actually worked, a few bolt ons(cai, y-pipe, b-pipe) would prolly push him up to or even over the 270 mark.

Keep in mind that's just a theory, and I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I really don't know if the stroking thing works or not. I'm just trying to be optimistic, because it'd sure be nice if it did.
Old 11-30-2000, 02:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: You can't even bore out an aluminum engine...

Ah to get .5 liters from just stroking the motor would require a much taller block. so tall that I doubt the engine would allow the hood to close. Not to mention which type of timing chain is required to compensate for the longer length. I have no idea but I think the Pfinder probably uses larger pistons and a longer stroke to gain that much displacement. I could be wrong, I have been before.

Originally posted by Black VQ
All that much. When ppl bore out their Hondas, it's like .20 over. Not many ppl even do it, because there's so many other ways to make power. It's not much, and it's doubtful that you can bore much more(or even the same) in the VQ. Aluminum block engines just can't handle being bored out very much. The reason the Pathfinder's displacement went up .5L is because Nissan increased the stroke.

Now we've been though this zillions of times over...Who knows if it really works or not, but if the dude switched out the longer-stroke crank and shorter connecting rods from the Pathfinder(possibly he got the parts cheaper, since he works at the dealer), he could make around 260hp @the flywheel since the Max has a better flowing cylinder head that the 'Finder. Now if that actually worked, a few bolt ons(cai, y-pipe, b-pipe) would prolly push him up to or even over the 270 mark.

Keep in mind that's just a theory, and I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I really don't know if the stroking thing works or not. I'm just trying to be optimistic, because it'd sure be nice if it did.
Old 11-30-2000, 03:08 PM

If you use shorter connecting rods...

You won't need a taller block.

Ex: With Honda's B-series(Civic Si, Civic Type R, Del Sol Si, and all Integras) engine, ppl are stroking it up to 2L from 1.6 or 1.8. The older 2L Prelude crank drops right in there, but shorter connecting rods are needed. If it makes a .4L increase possible, why not a .5?
Old 11-30-2000, 03:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You people are totally underestimating the potential power to be made. Super Touring cars make 300+ hp with just an NA 2.0L I4, full exhaust with cats, and pump gas. With 50% more displacement, the VQ30DE could be pushed well beyond 300hp normally aspirated. Remember: the Eurospec E36 M3 has been making 321hp for years, and that's normally aspirated and with only slightly more displacement than the VQ30DE, while remaining emissions-legal. It's totally possible, with enough $$$.
Old 11-30-2000, 03:47 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
You people are totally underestimating the potential power to be made. Super Touring cars make 300+ hp with just an NA 2.0L I4, full exhaust with cats, and pump gas. With 50% more displacement, the VQ30DE could be pushed well beyond 300hp normally aspirated. Remember: the Eurospec E36 M3 has been making 321hp for years, and that's normally aspirated and with only slightly more displacement than the VQ30DE, while remaining emissions-legal. It's totally possible, with enough $$$.
There is no doubt that you can do it. but did you know that each race, the BTCC team spends $1 million dollars?

-Shing
Old 11-30-2000, 03:49 PM

Liar Liar pants on fire!!! It is possible but i highly doubt it. He must have a big nose then huh?
Old 11-30-2000, 03:57 PM

It's a teeny-bit easier for the M3...

It has the VANOS infinitely-variable valve timing. It's also a BMW, which means it prolly made even more since they have the habit of underrating their engines.

On a 4th gen Max, imagine the stroke-work, the infamous UPRD ECU upgrade(programmed to take advantage of all the mods), the 5th gen intake manifold(with the variable length runners) and exhaust, a y-pipe, and cai. If traction wasn't a problem, you could be looking at possibly mid to high 12s on the 1320. The mind's boggling now. Oooohhh, the possibilities!!
Old 11-30-2000, 04:13 PM
MaxRX7

need some $$$$ to keep n/a

Old 11-30-2000, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Shingles
There is no doubt that you can do it. but did you know that each race, the BTCC team spends $1 million dollars?

-Shing

Yeah, but M3s don't cost that much.
Old 11-30-2000, 05:19 PM

Re: Re: need some $$$$ to keep n/a

Originally posted by doug
In before the Lock
Heh, more like in before delete.

Old 11-30-2000, 07:41 PM
The missing moderator

But we are not talking about the M3.. we are talking about a Maxima... fact is, unless the man spends a fortune, I doubt he's got a near 300hp Maxima.

I think that's what most peoples point is.

-Shing

-Shing

Yeah, but M3s don't cost that much.
Old 11-30-2000, 07:45 PM

Ok here's the story:

Calculus class was over and I headed to my car. On the way, I saw this kid I knew from high school. He happens to drive a 1991 Q45 so he knows a thing or two about Nissans. Anyways he saw my car and said it was sweet and all that stuff. Then he told me that he went to an Infiniti dealer and one of the salespeople drove a hooked up Maxima. That guy's Maxima was making 270 horses naturally aspirated. Then I asked him, "Is it supercharged?" He says, "No" That was the part that made me skeptical.

I was just wondering if 270 horses can be achieved without some form of forced induction.
Maybe it had a q-45 engine, cowl hood and little monkies flying out the tailpipe.
Old 12-01-2000, 04:33 AM

But we are not talking about the M3.. we are talking about a Maxima... fact is, unless the man spends a fortune, I doubt he's got a near 300hp Maxima.

I think that's what most peoples point is.

-Shing

Yeah, that guy most likely did not have that much power. But some people were making it seem like it was impossible to do NA, when it is actually very possible.
Old 12-01-2000, 12:13 PM

Yeah, making that much power N/A is possible, just not very likely, considering the cash you'll have to shell out. He must be selling a ton of Nissans.
Old 12-01-2000, 02:38 PM
4 Maximas and counting

He only said it wasn't supercharged :)

But pistons/turbo from a Cima could give it 270 HP...
But as asked before, could VQ35DE pistons/crank fit in there? That gets you pretty close. Intake/exhaust might get you all the way.

Ok here's the story: