General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Supercharger or WRX??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Supercharger or WRX??

Guys, I need some opinions...hopefully unbiased opinions...
From gauging interest in my mods, it looks like I'm gonna have to take a serious bath on the mods & "trade-in" value for my car. What would you do?
(a)Trade a perfectly good 1999 Maxima SE-L with over $3,000 in mods...172.6 wheel HP for a WRX.
Drop in stage 3 for WRX (approximately $3,300 installed) & enjoy 260 ALL-WHEEL HP!! A 12 second car
OR............
(b)Drop another $4,500 on the Max & get the SC, including clutch, gauges & 3.33" pulley. 270 front wheel HP. A 13 second car.
OR............
(c)Mods are an utter waste of money. Start some other hobby...
Old 05-20-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

Depends on what you want. They are completely different cars. You want just a powerful car that is moddable? Just get a Mustang and add a SC. That will give about as much power as you could want.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

C

I'm sure your Max has a lot of sentimental value. Keep the car and force feed it.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: Supercharger or WRX??

Originally posted by dashingMax
From gauging interest in my mods, it looks like I'm gonna have to take a serious bath on the mods & "trade-in" value for my car. What would you do?
(a)Trade a perfectly good 1999 Maxima SE-L with over $3,000 in mods...172.6 wheel HP for a WRX.
Drop in stage 3 for WRX (approximately $3,300 installed) & enjoy 260 ALL-WHEEL HP!! A 12 second car
OR............
(b)Drop another $4,500 on the Max & get the SC, including clutch, gauges & 3.33" pulley. 270 front wheel HP. A 13 second car.
OR............

Bobby dont go the WRX route. Ok, Yes you will have a fast car with the Mods, but your still cruising around in a UGLY car. If you want speed buy a Camaro SS or 03' Cobra.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:42 PM

OR............
OR............
Problem with the WRX with that much power is that the tranny is made of glass....and will bust in no time....

plus that car is IMHO one of the ugliest cars on the road
Old 05-20-2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
C
I'm sure your Max has a lot of sentimental value. Keep the car and force feed it.
You're absolutely right. Since the aftermarket community for the Maxima is low, I'll take a bath on mods...the more I spend on mods, the bigger my loss, whenever I sell the car. The aftermarket is HUGE for the Subie...
Old 05-20-2002, 10:48 PM

Re: Re: Supercharger or WRX??

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Problem with the WRX with that much power is that the tranny is made of glass....and will bust in no time....
plus that car is IMHO one of the ugliest cars on the road
Agree! & Agree!
Ugly it is...looks like a pi$$ed-off Dodge Neon.
Re-inforced gears from MRT Australia ($1500) will make the tranny good till 400HP. My engine will blow before the dogbox will.

BTW, did you blow your motor?!?!?!?!
Old 05-20-2002, 11:16 PM
I miss the .org!

Hey now, no WRX bashing! That car is the ****...if you're lookin for a strictly racer car to pimp up. The Max is just a much nicer car all around, I think...a lil bit of luxury balanced with the sport. That's why I'm gonna get me the new Max!
Old 05-21-2002, 04:37 AM
Blu
the tits

i second that 03 cobra i love my max but if i could afford insurance 03 cobra here i come
Old 05-21-2002, 04:54 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
C
I agree with Keving.

Nobody mods Maxima's. Maxima's are slow.

Uhh...seriously though. Max's are cool. WRX's are a great car to mod for performance, but they are seriously tiny inside. It's just a question of what you want. The Max gives you performance and luxury. The Scooby gives you much more performance (after mods) but at the cost of luxury because it's so small. After my Accord V6 was totalled I came very very very very close to buying a WRX. But it was just too small. I wanted a more "professional" car instead of a "boy racer" car so I went with a Maxima. I almost gave up on trying to find a used 5spd Max in good condition, but I'm glad I found this one :-D
Old 05-21-2002, 05:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It sounds like you are looking for a real sports car to play with. The Maxima is a good family sedan but I doubt it will satisfy your need for speed. One thing to think about is the Lancer EVO that is coming soon! Another is getting a Supra TT. Finally, you could think about the new G35. Rear wheel drive, the VQ, and if you go easy on the options, it should only be a few grand more than new Maxima.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:38 AM

I was in the same boat as you. I sold my nitroused 99 GXE and bought a S4. S4 kept my pockets a little too light so i sold it (after a 1 month) and now have a silver WRX on its way (next weekend it should arrive). I am picking mine up for $24265 w/ extended arm rest & spoiler, & single boost gauge.

Yes, the WRX can be made a lot faster. Spend $3800 on the Turbo Xs stage 4 and put down about 270-280whp & run mid 12's all day.

I felt for all that $$ i spent in the Maxima, i could have spent it on another car that would be faster and still reliable.

As far as the glass tranny, not EVERY WRX is having this problem. More guys are having no problems then problems. I have noticed the guys who has problems are the guys who cant drive stick good at all. Go to i-club and pay close attention to who has problems. All the 12 second guys have had no problems, why? Because they can drive it right and not be stupid and do constant 5K + clutch dumps. You gotta remember, this is a AWD car adn it is more sensitive to harder driving but proprer driving will go a long way.

As far as it being ugly, its a acquired taste. I tell this to all the people who hate the look of the WRX and question me why I even bothered. "For those of you who can't stand the new look WRX's bulging headlamp treatment and flared fenders, there's an alternative-Buy someting else and stare at the Suby's taillights"-SCC (THere is a meaning to that line if you think a little )
Old 05-21-2002, 07:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

If you really want the WRX, wait for the one with a redesigned front-end. According to automotive news rumors, not only is it getting a redesigned front there's also going to be a significant bump in HP.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:07 AM

Skip the looks factor here...WRX's are pretty ugly, yes, but they are pretty awesome otherwise. Max and WRX are totally different cars, however, so what do you want in a car? Max's are bigger and more unruly at autocrossing...they don't have AWD...they are also comfy as hell, and very peppy.

The Subaru kids don't seem to rice out their cars as much as the nissan kids. heh.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 AM

If i had a wrx i would rice it out
Old 05-21-2002, 07:40 AM

If I lived anywhere that had consistent snow in the winter time I would get the WRX. Does the $3300 for WRX stage 3 incude a clutch or can the stock one withstand that much hp?

I looked into buying a WRX wagon when they came out this past spring. The WRX is a fun ride! I almost got one but I really didn't want another car payment. My max has been paid off for a year and a half now. Life without car payments is good.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Supercharger or WRX??

Originally posted by speedtrip
If I lived anywhere that had consistent snow in the winter time I would get the WRX. Does the $3300 for WRX stage 3 incude a clutch or can the stock one withstand that much hp?

I looked into buying a WRX wagon when they came out this past spring. The WRX is a fun ride! I almost got one but I really didn't want another car payment. My max has been paid off for a year and a half now. Life without car payments is good.
Does not include a clutch. The stock clutches have held okay up to 260 wheel HP. New clutch is of course recommended.
I am in the same boat as you! No car payments & do not wish to have one. Also, I am not ready to take a serious bath on my mods. Whether I sell now or a couple years from now, I will take a bath.
A couple years from now, I think I'll have kid(s) to worry about. So it is now or 20 years from now. I'll be that old guy with a yellow sports car in the fast lane doing the speed limit
Old 05-21-2002, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by shi89max
If i had a wrx i would rice it out
well, you are cougar with a side of rice already...no big leap :-p
Old 05-21-2002, 08:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Supercharger or WRX??

BTW, did you blow your motor?!?!?!?!
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...hreadid=121558
Old 05-21-2002, 11:12 AM

i totally think you should go for the wrx. i believe it is an aquired taste as well, but it can be made to look nice. i work at a gas station and whenever i see a wrx come in, i ask them how they like it and they tell me that they love them. go for the wrx!!! or you can listen to Pervis Anathema and search your options. BUT DONT GET A CRAPPY MUSTANG!!!!THEY SUCK! ONLY DECENT MUSTANGS ARE THE COBRAS. I HEAR THEY DONT BREAK DOWN AS MUCH AS THE OTHER MUSTANGS.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by j0hnxt
i totally think you should go for the wrx. i believe it is an aquired taste as well, but it can be made to look nice. i work at a gas station and whenever i see a wrx come in, i ask them how they like it and they tell me that they love them. go for the wrx!!! or you can listen to Pervis Anathema and search your options. BUT DONT GET A CRAPPY MUSTANG!!!!THEY SUCK! ONLY DECENT MUSTANGS ARE THE COBRAS. I HEAR THEY DONT BREAK DOWN AS MUCH AS THE OTHER MUSTANGS.

two different type of cars but if you dont need the space then go WRX. 12sec car!!!that is mighty fast. If they are as reliable as posted above then I would get one, heck Blitz owns one in Japan must be a heck of a car to rice out if you ask me, I would rice one out if I owned one
Old 05-21-2002, 02:30 PM
DOM

Isn't 260 wheel HP a little too much pressure for a 2.0 Liter engine that is modified and not factory anymore?
Old 05-21-2002, 02:52 PM

If I were in your position id buy a Mazda RX-7 or Toyota Supra!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by DOM
Isn't 260 wheel HP a little too much pressure for a 2.0 Liter engine that is modified and not factory anymore?
Nope. 8:1 compression ratio & solid pistons, valves make the engine very capable of high boost.
I'm going to stick with my Maxima. If I can find a reliable installer, I'll get the S/C.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:51 PM
I miss the .org!

Something I found to be very interesting: The Subaru Impreza is classifed by the gov. as a SUBCOMPACT (opposed to a civic which is just a compact). I test drove it, and it didn't that bad, but then again I didn't try out the 6" of legroom in the back.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Something I found to be very interesting: The Subaru Impreza is classifed by the gov. as a SUBCOMPACT (opposed to a civic which is just a compact). I test drove it, and it didn't that bad, but then again I didn't try out the 6" of legroom in the back.
It is a small car. The main advantage for the WRX is that it is a enthusiast's dream come true. TONS & tons of aftermarket support, can be easily turned into a 12 second beast. The darn thing does not even depreciate as much as a Maxima. Holds its value just like the Audi's
BUT...
you give up on room, looks, luxury features (power seats, sunroof. etc), comfort, looks (yes I had to mention it again) & reliability.

If WRX was front wheel drive, any SC maxima can smoke a modded WRX...even with auto transmission.

A VW/Audi (fwd), with 310 HP intercooled turbo upgrade from APR, only does high 13's...why Front Wheel Drive. Same with SAAB kits & Volvo kits.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:06 AM

At the risk of me sounding like a complete retard, this comparison doesn't make sense to me. I have a Mazda 323 GT (running 12 psi boost) and excellent handling with adjustable suspension and that car likes to be driven hard from the moment you crank the starter. It's fast, vibrates a lot at WOT and is noisy to a point where it's hard to even have a conversation at 75 MPH (thats what you get for pulling 4200 RPMS @ 75 MHP on fifth). I use the car when:

1. I am in the mood to drive fast at bounce off that 7000 RPM limiter
2. When It's rainy or muddy and I don't want to take my dear Maxima outside
3. When my Girl-friend is not with me and having a conversation is not an issue

I use the Max when I want a smooth quiet ride and when I want to kill ricer boys with fart-cans all day and my g/f not even knowing I am racing someone. (She hates it when I race )

My point is the same as most of the other responses on thread - these are two cars designed with two totally different buyers in mind.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by kushane

I use the Max when I want a smooth quiet ride and when I want to kill ricer boys with fart-cans all day and my g/f not even knowing I am racing someone. (She hates it when I race )

My point is the same as most of the other responses on thread - these are two cars designed with two totally different buyers in mind.
My wife hates it when I race too...
Those 2 different buyers you mention are the same when they become members of maxima.org.
Most people here are enthusiasts. Maxima, although offers an incredible value overall, is not so great for an enthusiast...compared to the WRX. That is all...
Old 05-22-2002, 01:59 PM

It is a small car. The main advantage for the WRX is that it is a enthusiast's dream come true. TONS & tons of aftermarket support, can be easily turned into a 12 second beast. The darn thing does not even depreciate as much as a Maxima. Holds its value just like the Audi's
BUT...
you give up on room, looks, luxury features (power seats, sunroof. etc), comfort, looks (yes I had to mention it again) & reliability.

If WRX was front wheel drive, any SC maxima can smoke a modded WRX...even with auto transmission.

A VW/Audi (fwd), with 310 HP intercooled turbo upgrade from APR, only does high 13's...why Front Wheel Drive. Same with SAAB kits & Volvo kits.
You're forgetting when you talk about quarter mile times that you are comparing an AWD car to a FWD car...you may be able to easily have a 12 second WRX...but you will probably only trap a little over 100mph....with a S/Ced max...and 9psi...you could trap between 106-109mph...and the S/Ced max would be a FASTER car than the WRX...but it would need slicks too keep up out of the hole.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

You're forgetting when you talk about quarter mile times that you are comparing an AWD car to a FWD car...you may be able to easily have a 12 second WRX...but you will probably only trap a little over 100mph....with a S/Ced max...and 9psi...you could trap between 106-109mph...and the S/Ced max would be a FASTER car than the WRX...but it would need slicks too keep up out of the hole.
Yeah, slicks + Quaife LSD...
I'm gonna stay a loyal Maxima owner.
We should have another Chi-town meet...soon!
Old 05-22-2002, 03:48 PM

SC time???

is this a final decision to keep the max? 20th maxstyle is planning a meet for his SC intall, we can help him and take lots of notes. time to call Avalon?

btw...though fast as s***, when your kids grow to the mature age of 5, they'll out grow an impreza'a back seat. exagerated, but you get the point.

Derrick
Old 05-22-2002, 05:44 PM

I originally thought the WRXs were really ugly but when I discovered how ridiculously fast they were they started looking a lot better to me.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:31 PM

Bri is def right, the Max will pull back on a WRX top end. The reason for the low trap speeds on the WRX is b/c of the 4th & 5th gearing. 3rd gear tops out at 90mph and then you will go into 4th. This is why even the WRX has a terrible trap speed. The 4th & 5th are really high gearing. When i mean high, they are "tall"; 4th gear tops out at 13Xmph and 5th will top out 17Xmph. With a 6spd STi tranny, this will eliminate this problem so...
Old 05-22-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: SC time???

Originally posted by 20thdriven
is this a final decision to keep the max? 20th maxstyle is planning a meet for his SC intall, we can help him and take lots of notes. time to call Avalon?
btw...though fast as s***, when your kids grow to the mature age of 5, they'll out grow an impreza'a back seat. exagerated, but you get the point.
Derrick
Yes, final answer...Keep Da Max!
20thmaxstyle...oh boy...he's gonna install himself...?!?!
I am definitely in for the SC Install meet. Count me in. I do not have his contact info, so if you talk to him, let him know that I'll be there.
When is this meet?
Avalon...hmm...let's talk offline
Old 05-22-2002, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Bri is def right, the Max will pull back on a WRX top end. The reason for the low trap speeds on the WRX is b/c of the 4th & 5th gearing. 3rd gear tops out at 90mph and then you will go into 4th. This is why even the WRX has a terrible trap speed. The 4th & 5th are really high gearing. When i mean high, they are "tall"; 4th gear tops out at 13Xmph and 5th will top out 17Xmph. With a 6spd STi tranny, this will eliminate this problem so...
The STi 6-speed tranny will push you back 6 grand!
Just get those MRT gears & you should be all set. When you replace your clutch, which you will have to do with Stage IV, they should drop in the new gears at no extra cost...
Good Luck with you new toy!
Old 05-23-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: SC time???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dashingMax
[B]

Its good to hear that your staying with the maxima Bobby. Your car looks pretty sweet...was the pic in your sig taken with the front lip painted?
Old 05-23-2002, 02:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: SC time???

Its good to hear that your staying with the maxima Bobby. Your car looks pretty sweet...was the pic in your sig taken with the front lip painted?
No 12 second car but it sure looks "dashing"
Yes, the front lip is painted body color...pearl white. You have seen it in person...at the Moto Persona meet. I have not anything anything new since that meet!

Time for an SC?!?!?! My wallet goes into pain everytime I think of it...
Old 05-24-2002, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SC time???

No 12 second car but it sure looks "dashing"
Yes, the front lip is painted body color...pearl white. You have seen it in person...at the Moto Persona meet. I have not anything anything new since that meet!

Time for an SC?!?!?! My wallet goes into pain everytime I think of it...
Just an opinion. Why don't wait for lancer evo VIII in about another year. I heard they will have 250hp instead of 276-330hp (those in japan). And if you get the "OEM" intercooler from evo VIII in japan you will have the same 280 hp. also it is 4.8 sec 0-60 and flat 12 sec 1/4 mile, and has MUCH better looking than WRX, less turbo lagging than wrx and slightly better handling than wrx even WRX STI version(5.2 sec 0-60).
Just a thought
Old 05-24-2002, 10:41 PM

Toyota Supra TT...
Old 05-25-2002, 01:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC time???

Originally posted by cerumo

Just an opinion. Why don't wait for lancer evo VIII in about another year. I heard they will have 250hp instead of 276-330hp (those in japan). And if you get the "OEM" intercooler from evo VIII in japan you will have the same 280 hp. also it is 4.8 sec 0-60 and flat 12 sec 1/4 mile, and has MUCH better looking than WRX, less turbo lagging than wrx and slightly better handling than wrx even WRX STI version(5.2 sec 0-60).
Just a thought
Lancer Evo going 12 flat STOCK......I don't think so dude...MAYBE....and this is BIG maybe.......low 13s

Quick Reply: Supercharger or WRX??