General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

help....my uncle a mechanic says that mods will hurt my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 08:34 PM
tgonza1057

i am planning on getting a stillen intake this christmas but my mom is trippin and she doesent want me to mess up my car ....it has to last me through college (2 more years im only 19) she says just leave it alone. I disagreed so we went to my uncle he's a mechanic and has worked on many domestics and imports. He even helped me pick and find my 95se (5speed). I dont doubt his knowlege at all but he also told me to leave my car alone :vampire: what the @#*$@!!! He said I would have to get a bigger maf sensor and all this crap like bigger injectors just so the car will adjust to the new air flow. He also said wait till i pay my car off and then play with the mods...... that wont be till this time next year. All i want is an intake a HKS muffler and ecu upgrade thats it i dont want to mod the heck out of my car. My uncle and mom have made good arguments please make them wrong I really need all of your advise. Please tell me he is not right and if he is what do I need to do so I can get my christmas present.

[Edited by tgonza1057 on 11-30-2000 at 10:49 PM]

Old 11-30-2000, 09:00 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Both of them need to calm down. The Mods alone wont do anything to the longevity of your car. The spirited driving the mods encourage is another story...
Old 11-30-2000, 10:20 PM

I think they're scared that it will void parts of any warranty you might have. Also, they probably fear that you will get the "mod bug" and keep modifying until all you think about is your car, and all you spend is on your car...but,hmmm, I dont know anyone like that...

Originally posted by tgonza1057
i am planning on getting a stillen intake this christmas but my mom is trippin and she doesent want me to mess up my car ....it has to last me through college (2 more years im only 19) she says just leave it alone. I disagreed so we went to my uncle he's a mechanic and has worked on many domestics and imports. He even helped me pick and find my 95se (5speed). I dont doubt his knowlege at all but he also told me to leave my car alone :vampire: what the @#*$@!!! He said I would have to get a bigger maf sensor and all this crap like bigger injectors just so the car will adjust to the new air flow. He also said wait till i pay my car off and then play with the mods...... that wont be till this time next year. All i want is an intake a HKS muffler and ecu upgrade thats it i dont want to mod the heck out of my car. My uncle and mom have made good arguments please make them wrong I really need all of your advise. Please tell me he is not right and if he is what do I need to do so I can get my christmas present.

[Edited by tgonza1057 on 11-30-2000 at 10:49 PM]
Old 11-30-2000, 11:07 PM

I agree with mzmtg. An intake isn't anywhere near a major mod. Even if you get a supercharger you don't HAVE to get bigger injectors.
Old 12-01-2000, 09:08 AM

Although, ...

getting a new intake is not a major mod, and your uncle sounds as if he is pulling your leg, there is a debate as to whether getting a new intake is a sensible thing to do.

I have read numerous articles on this and have concluded (realizing that many of you have reached differing conclusion) that one of the principal effects of a new intake system is to increase the level of contaminants that enter the engine, thus shortening the life of the car. Potentially, if enough **** gets in through the new intake, eventually less air gets in and the performance is reduced.

One thing all aftermarket intakes do is to increase the noise coming from under the hood. If this is better or worse depends on the listener.
Old 12-01-2000, 10:48 AM

your uncle is right as to the point of paying off your auto loan first. wait till the car is all yours and you are free to do anything you want.

a stillen intake is not going to shorten the life of it although the life of a 95 isn't too long either. for the sake of your mom, get a stock replacement K&N (may be a used one from the people here) for the time being.

I'd rather save the money than spending it on mods. Come on, you are still in college. Once you are out of college and have a job, you will probably trade in your Max for a new one.
Old 12-01-2000, 10:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Although, ...

I don't know if I agree with you on the intake letting more dirt in. I have seen cases where that is true. ie.. the ss steel Blitz filter is super for flow but sucks azz for filtering ability. But the K&N filter actually had decent flow and great filtration. But keeping a good oem or better filtering media, increasing the filtering area and dumping the restrictive(IMHO) stock airbox, it's possible to get the same micron filtration rate and still increase the airflow. But you do have to know what you are buying. IMHO the sponge type filters are crap but the K&N type ones should be good. Thoughts?

Originally posted by MI2KSE
getting a new intake is not a major mod, and your uncle sounds as if he is pulling your leg, there is a debate as to whether getting a new intake is a sensible thing to do.

I have read numerous articles on this and have concluded (realizing that many of you have reached differing conclusion) that one of the principal effects of a new intake system is to increase the level of contaminants that enter the engine, thus shortening the life of the car. Potentially, if enough **** gets in through the new intake, eventually less air gets in and the performance is reduced.

One thing all aftermarket intakes do is to increase the noise coming from under the hood. If this is better or worse depends on the listener.
Old 12-01-2000, 11:14 AM

Taking the bus will make your car last longer too!

Seriously though, minor mods will not have any significant effect on engine longetivity. Some may even increase engine life. Cooler intake air is less likely to cause detonation and a smooth bent exhaust allows the engine to work easier. Arguments could be made in either case. What really matters is maintenance and how you treat it.

My advice is to enjoy your car. If sensible mods help this effort, then go for it. Just remember, you won't keep the car forever.

Old 12-01-2000, 12:25 PM

Yet...

While I may disagree about the benefits from an intake system, I cannot think of any reason why you should not deprive yourself of a new exhaust.

And, as has been mentioned various times on this board, the most important, least controversial and best-bang-for-your-buck modifications are the suspension upgrades.

Tell your mom you want a FSTB for Christmas. It's affordable, and how could she object to a simple bar that takes less than 5 minutes to install.

Have your uncle get you the RSB. The only risk here is when, after partying all day on Christmas, your drunken relatives come to see what you're up to outside, and knock the car off the jacks on top of you while you're installing your new sway bar.
Old 12-01-2000, 12:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not true

We upgrade cars for a living and a ton of Nissan's. A high flow provides better gas mileage, better low end torque and the car breathes properly. Unless there is less than spec compression in the motor, bolt on upgrades will not hurt the car.

Also feel free to have here e-mail or call on prices for Stillen products. We are an Authorized Stillen dealer and tuner. And yes we sell below Stillen prices.

Regards
Old 12-01-2000, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by tgonza1057
I disagreed so we went to my uncle he's a mechanic and has worked on many domestics and imports. He even helped me pick and find my 95se (5speed). I dont doubt his knowlege at all but he also told me to leave my car alone :vampire: what the @#*$@!!! He said I would have to get a bigger maf sensor and all this crap like bigger injectors just so the car will adjust to the new air flow. He also said wait till i pay my car off and then play with the mods...... that wont be till this time next year. All i want is an intake a HKS muffler and ecu upgrade thats it i dont want to mod the heck out of my car. My uncle and mom have made good arguments please make them wrong I really need all of your advise. Please tell me he is not right and if he is what do I need to do so I can get my christmas present.
First, the car is equipped with a mass air flow sensor so it's able to read and adjust for the added flow after an intake install. With an increase in voltage from the MAF, the ECU will read this and increase the fuel flow. You do not need to install a larger MAF unit. The stock injectors will flow sufficiently for the basic bolt ons.

Second, the installation of the intake & exhaust will increase the combustion chamber's volumetric efficiency, so you're actually making the car run better than the way it came from the factory....