General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Supercharger Owners >>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If the belt comes off the SC, how easy or hard is it to install back on. If lets say that you were on a trip and the belt came off or broke off, would it be something that you can replace in a few minutes with hand tools by yourself ??? Thanks for any info.
Old 12-01-2000, 11:23 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I don't see how you can with out taking off the one wheel and jack it up. If it's just the SC belt, you can drive around without it.

Originally posted by JULIAN
If the belt comes off the SC, how easy or hard is it to install back on. If lets say that you were on a trip and the belt came off or broke off, would it be something that you can replace in a few minutes with hand tools by yourself ??? Thanks for any info.
Old 12-01-2000, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
[I]I don't see how you can with out taking off the one wheel and jack it up. If it's just the SC belt, you can drive around without it.

Can you really drive around without the belt ???? I thought that the SC belt also runs the other accessories such as Alternator, etc.
Old 12-01-2000, 12:51 PM

ummmmm guys!!! if u lose the belt.. ur done for.. there is only one belt no sc only belt like some say.. inorder to swap belts u need to take the blower off undo the hex bolts put new belt in and reassemble.. if ur belt does break u can drive but all your power is comming from ur battery.. so you don't wanna do that.. dunno who told u guys u can drive with out a belt.. but they lied.. was it stillen??
Old 12-01-2000, 12:59 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

wow i think i'm the pro on this one.
if the belt comes off u can still drive it but you'll run w/o boost and the car wil run only on battery power.
the belt is a HUGE PITA to replace on the stillen SC.
there's no way u can take it off w/o a good deal of tools and time. basically you need to pull the entire SC out w/ the SC plate. then unbolt the bolts that mount the SC to the plate. i might add that Stillen added some loctite red (max strength i believe) on the bolts. also it's a allen bolt so u need the correct allen key and a some air tools to break the bolts loose..(given you don't break the allen bit).
once apart you need to route the belt around the mounting posts. then bolt everything back together (easier said than done).
last thing is to adjust tension. since the adjusting bolt is semi blocked w/ the belt you'll need a few extensions and sockets to get to that bolt. set tension and get under the car w/ a long **** screw driver and pop (now stuck) socket off the tension bolt.
Dan

Originally posted by JULIAN
Old 12-01-2000, 01:01 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

c'mon Phil your slipping!! there's TWO belts. one for the AC and the other for eveything else including the SC.
Dan

Originally posted by Phil96SE
ummmmm guys!!! if u lose the belt.. ur done for.. there is only one belt no sc only belt like some say.. inorder to swap belts u need to take the blower off undo the hex bolts put new belt in and reassemble.. if ur belt does break u can drive but all your power is comming from ur battery.. so you don't wanna do that.. dunno who told u guys u can drive with out a belt.. but they lied.. was it stillen??
Old 12-01-2000, 01:04 PM

muuhahahha.. what was i thinkin dan.. thanks.. but still guys.. lemme just say its not a job u can do on the side of the road.. muuhahah
Old 12-01-2000, 01:09 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

unless there's a nascar pit crew right there w/ you...
Dan

Originally posted by Phil96SE
muuhahahha.. what was i thinkin dan.. thanks.. but still guys.. lemme just say its not a job u can do on the side of the road.. muuhahah
Old 12-01-2000, 01:19 PM

ohhh.. so thats what that truck following me everywhere is.. i was wondering.. u solved that problem dan.. muuhahah
Old 12-01-2000, 02:06 PM

Um go ahead a drive the car with the belt off

and see how far that gets you. You'll find out REAL quick how far you can go. With an Optima Yellow top you can squeeze about 30 to 60 minutes of power before your car totally dies, that's during the day. And as for changing the belt Danny and Phil are right good luck cause it's not a half hour job or something you want to do on the side of the road.