General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

got camber adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 10:04 PM
mrloyd

I thought it wasn't an issue, but maybe it is. So, just how many of you guys who have springs, have camber bolts or plates, and if not, do your tires wear even?

Old 12-01-2000, 04:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't, and my tires wear evenly.
Old 12-01-2000, 05:32 AM

I put H&R's in about 5 mo ago. At last rotation, I noticed very slight irreg wear (inside edge of fronts). I've been meaning to get it aligned, but haven't yet. I expect the camber is out slightly and can be corrected with the bolts, but won't be sure till it's measured. I believe the bolts allow adjustment from -1 to 1 degree, so I plan to install them first myself.

I spoke to a friend who is an alignment technician. He said that most places won't bother with setting the camber unless it's way out, like after an accident. They'll just do the "toe and go".
Old 12-01-2000, 11:17 AM

based on my current knowledge on car lowering, camber plates are not necessary unless you lower the car for more 2" (a general rule of thumb). according to my H&R catalog, the stage 2 spring only lowers the car 1.4" in the front. I would rather not to have a camber plate because it may transfer more road noise. (Direct contact with the body without any cushioning)

Looks like people with Eibach Pro do not have the same problem of less lowering.

Originally posted by cyclemax
I put H&R's in about 5 mo ago. At last rotation, I noticed very slight irreg wear (inside edge of fronts). I've been meaning to get it aligned, but haven't yet. I expect the camber is out slightly and can be corrected with the bolts, but won't be sure till it's measured. I believe the bolts allow adjustment from -1 to 1 degree, so I plan to install them first myself.

I spoke to a friend who is an alignment technician. He said that most places won't bother with setting the camber unless it's way out, like after an accident. They'll just do the "toe and go".
Old 12-01-2000, 11:38 AM

Focker:

I agree. I don't think that camber plates will be necc for a 1.5" drop. It is, however, a significant change in ride height, and I believe ANY change in height will affect camber. It may still be w/in spec, but I'd bet the farm it has changed. Some cars come from the factory in need of camber adjustment (bolts, usually).
Old 06-15-2002, 06:26 AM
jasonz

I dropped 3 inches and im goin through tires quick lookg for plates now

Old 06-15-2002, 07:40 AM

cyclemax,

Some cars come from the factory in need of camber adjustment (bolts, usually).
I have a 2002 Camry as well as my Maxima and let me tell you the Camry camber was way off. The rear was -1.0 and -1.4 camber. You could see the tires leaving in at the top with this much negative camber. I installed the camber bolts myself and used my level to adjust it vertical. I took my level to the dealer and measured 4 or 5 Camrys and they all have leaning tires. This can't be right. My level's bubble is perfectly centered on my Maxima front and rear. With weight in the Camry it even gets worse so that is not the reason. No more Toyota's for me!
Old 06-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by Larry

I have a 2002 Camry as well as my Maxima and let me tell you the Camry camber was way off. The rear was -1.0 and -1.4 camber. You could see the tires leaving in at the top with this much negative camber. I installed the camber bolts myself and used my level to adjust it vertical. I took my level to the dealer and measured 4 or 5 Camrys and they all have leaning tires. This can't be right. My level's bubble is perfectly centered on my Maxima front and rear. With weight in the Camry it even gets worse so that is not the reason. No more Toyota's for me!
Maybe Toyota intended for it to be that way? I know I've heard people say that some BMW's come from the factory with negative camber on the rear wheels (supposedly to help with high speed cornering?).

Dunno, just a thought.

John
Old 06-15-2002, 11:59 AM

MetaOrbit,

You may be right but I don't do any high speed cornering with this little 4 banger Camry and I do want the tires to last. I have never owned a car that had this much negative camber. I'm just afraid to leave it this way. The front is -.7 and -.8. I'm considering changing the front to no more than -.5. I just couldn't imagine the tires not wearing out prematurely with this much negative camber.