General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5sp manual not smooth, on 5th gen or all

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 09:17 AM

I was wondering if any of the 5th gen owners notice that their manual transmission is not very smooth but rather notchy? Seems like the shifts are grindy... if your shifts are like that you know what I mean. I'm wondering if they are all like that? How about you other generation owners?

Also, I can't seem to find a dipstick for the manual tranny case, if it has one. I'm still looking. Did anyone find it or know where it is or maybe there isn't one?

One more thing, anyone with a 5th gen leather seats have any problems such as the switch malfunctioning?

thanks
Old 12-01-2000, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by young1976
I was wondering if any of the 5th gen owners notice that their manual transmission is not very smooth but rather notchy? not me...Seems like the shifts are grindy... if your shifts are like that you know what I mean. I'm wondering if they are all like that? My Maxima shift more smoothly (although less aggressively) than any other car I have owned.How about you other generation owners?

Also, I can't seem to find a dipstick for the manual tranny case, if it has one. I'm still looking. Did anyone find it or know where it is or maybe there isn't one?

One more thing, anyone with a 5th gen leather seats have any problems such as the switch malfunctioning? Again, no problems here, or with my wife's.

thanks
Old 12-01-2000, 01:23 PM
Keven97SE

There's no dipstick on manual transmissions usually (I know of none that have one). The Maxima doesn't have one on the manual trannies, either.

My transmission seems to be rather notchy, but certainly doesn't grind or anything. Of course, it all depends on how well you shift (ie rev match, etc).

Old 12-01-2000, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by young1976
I was wondering if any of the 5th gen owners notice that their manual transmission is not very smooth but rather notchy? Seems like the shifts are grindy... if your shifts are like that you know what I mean. I'm wondering if they are all like that? How about you other generation owners?

One more thing, anyone with a 5th gen leather seats have any problems such as the switch malfunctioning?

thanks
I have to agree with your comment about the 5 spd tranny.
Maxima is a little bit hard to drive with the stick shift. I am finding problem of shifting smoothly between lower gear.
I have experiencing the diffculty of driving through the parking lot at very slow speed on 2nd gear, I've tried on other car and seems to be easier.

I guess is the beauty of Maxima.

No dipstick on stick shift. No problem with my leather seat.