General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Exhaust Wars.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:55 AM

i'm searching our past threads trying to find the best exhaust set up. i have seen the Greddy, Stillen, and other setups. which is the best for performance???
i was looking into the courtesy b-pipe and started seeing people write: y-pipe + rt + b-pipe + factory muffler = backpressure (bad) also i saw :y-pipe + rt + b-pipe + performance muffler(cat-back)=freeflow (lose low end)
so what to do? are the people posting this stuff really know there stuff? i don't want a loud a$$ sound so i thought the hks with the coutesty b-pipe. but the b-pipe will loss low end power. which cat-back setup is the best? with or without factory pipeing...theres also apex and dunk. if price wasn't an issue what everybody have?
Old 12-01-2000, 12:23 PM

Sup Wicked

Did you check the FAQ ...
also there's a new company called Warpspeedperformance that's makin a complete exhaust for the max... look for thier post..

I dunno that much about exhaust but when i get my exhaust i'm getttin
aftermarket
ypipe
cat
bpipe
and 2K muffler

only because i don't want that much noise ..

Ant
Old 12-01-2000, 12:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Exhausts

We have tested and installed most out there. The exceptiuon being the Courtesy system. We talk to them on a regular basis and I do not beleive they have dynoed the system. From a performance standpoint we have found the Stillen to be the best "all round" system in cost and performance. GReddy systems are good as well but a bit loud.

Regards
Old 12-01-2000, 02:09 PM

Re: Exhausts

Originally posted by Avalon Racing
We have tested and installed most out there. The exceptiuon being the Courtesy system. We talk to them on a regular basis and I do not beleive they have dynoed the system. From a performance standpoint we have found the Stillen to be the best "all round" system in cost and performance. GReddy systems are good as well but a bit loud.

Regards
tests? Please share.. I'm sure the Maxima owners would like to see the results.
Old 12-01-2000, 02:30 PM

Re: Re: Exhausts

Since we do not have a dyno in the area, our tests are actual road tests performed by the techs at the race shop.

We see everything from BMW's to Lambo's at the shop along with classic muscle cars on a daily basis.

We have not taken the same car, installed numerous systems and run dyno's on them. I wish a had a dyno at the shop. We do for suspensions but not the motor.

Jeff, the lead tech, and also the lead tech on the race cars is very capabable to determine which systems sound the best, easiest to install, and felt gained performance.

We found the both the GReddy and Stillen to be good systems. We found the tone of the Stillen to be quieter and per the owners, better suited to their preferences.

The difference in low end torque etc is very slight and without a dyno hard to measure as you well know. We sell both products as both are good. We also sell the HKS and quite frankly do not like them.

If you have more questions feel free to call.

Originally posted by got rice?
Originally posted by Avalon Racing

Regards
tests? Please share.. I'm sure the Maxima owners would like to see the results.
Old 12-01-2000, 08:14 PM

whats wrong w/ the courtesy+hks setup? also the a'pex catback looks preety good..
Old 12-01-2000, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One more time . . .

Custom cat-back, mandrel-bends, 2-1/2" aluminized mild steel piping, 24" Magnaflow straight-through muffler, Sebring Tuning Stainless Steel Tip, $350 installed. Sounds good, looks good, pulls good.

Most cat-backs of this type are good for about 5 hp at the wheels regardless of generic or name brand.
Old 12-02-2000, 04:33 AM

To answer your question

We have not seen the Courtesy system yet (as noted above)
so we can not comment on it. I will get the specs from Courtesy as they are good friends of mine and potentially get a system here to look at.

Regards

Originally posted by wicked1044
whats wrong w/ the courtesy+hks setup? also the a'pex catback looks preety good..
Old 12-02-2000, 08:21 AM

i'm wanting to check out the a'pex cat-back world sport. i think its new...
Old 12-02-2000, 08:29 AM

heres a link for the above exhaust: http://www.modacar.com/nissan/frames...ack_nissan.htm
Old 12-02-2000, 07:19 PM

There's nothing wrong, as far as performance, with that setup. The HKS muffler section is aluminized and not SS, so the folks up north will eventually see some rusting.
Old 12-02-2000, 08:36 PM
Custommaxima.com

I like mine

I have stillen y-pipe, b-pipe, stillen exhaust, and R\T cat and it sounds awesome. It is not loud at all and the increase in power is great. I am having a dual exhaust system being made for my max as i am typing this. Anyone want to buy my exhaust. Its stainless steel and less then a year old.

Old 12-05-2000, 07:23 AM

not that loud? i heard it was load as hell.. i guess its just the persons take on it. man, this is a pain in the a$$..
Old 12-05-2000, 07:46 AM
Keven97SE

Actually, this combination:
y-pipe + rt + b-pipe + factory muffler
is arguably the best combination available in terms of the power gains along with minimal noise increase. Swapping in a different rear muffler will only add on the order of 3-5 HP. Considering that that high flow muffler will add loads of noise (trust me, I've been there, done that - gone through 4 different custom exhaust combinations), the above combination is the best compromise. FYI for an aftermarket bpipe I'd only consider the Courtesy unit...the Stillen unit uses no resonator, which helps quite a bit to tame some of the annoying frequencies/droning from the exhaust note.

Here's a warning: If you really really do not want to add much noise and are worried about any noise increase, do NOT even consider swapping out the factory rear muffler. It IS the "noise cap" on the entire exhaust. EVERYTHING I've tried was far louder in comparison. The only different muffler I'd consider would be the 2000 Maxima muffler, which is certainly a custom installation and only is worth a few HP. Not worth the $$ or effort in my opinion.

i'm searching our past threads trying to find the best exhaust set up. i have seen the Greddy, Stillen, and other setups. which is the best for performance???
i was looking into the courtesy b-pipe and started seeing people write: y-pipe + rt + b-pipe + factory muffler = backpressure (bad) also i saw :y-pipe + rt + b-pipe + performance muffler(cat-back)=freeflow (lose low end)
so what to do? are the people posting this stuff really know there stuff? i don't want a loud a$$ sound so i thought the hks with the coutesty b-pipe. but the b-pipe will loss low end power. which cat-back setup is the best? with or without factory pipeing...theres also apex and dunk. if price wasn't an issue what everybody have?
[Edited by Keven97SE on 12-05-2000 at 09:50 AM]

Old 12-05-2000, 08:05 AM

thanks kev

but doeen't keeing the factory exhaust make back pressure? i wouldn't consider the stillen b-pipe at all. but the hsk is supposed to be a nice (not load) exhaust. have you head any of the a'pex mufflers. look t the link above. the hsk is baffled. what seups have you had??
Old 12-05-2000, 08:16 AM

I've been really happy with Greddy system. Noticable gains, nice build.