General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Steering is off-centered...help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 01:08 PM

Steering is off-centered...help?

So, I got into my first incident about a month ago. I got cut-off big time and had to take the lane the jerk changed from. To my surprise, there was road construction. I locked my brakes, then tried to get back into the other lane after the jerk passed me, but it was too late. The end result was me plowing over 5 big orange cones and bonking the curb at 20MPH with the wheel turned the left. I got my wheels re-aligned but now my steering is slightly off. Anyone know an effective and inexpensive way to correct this?
thanks
Old 05-25-2002, 01:10 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Steering is off-centered...help?

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
So, I got into my first incident about a month ago. I got cut-off big time and had to take the lane the jerk changed from. To my surprise, there was road construction. I locked my brakes, then tried to get back into the other lane after the jerk passed me, but it was too late. The end result was me plowing over 5 big orange cones and bonking the curb at 20MPH with the wheel turned the left. I got my wheels re-aligned but now my steering is slightly off. Anyone know an effective and inexpensive way to correct this?
thanks
The tie rods on both sides... the alignment shop should have done this for you...
Old 05-25-2002, 05:33 PM

Great, thanks a lot Chunger

I guess this isn't covered by the wheel alignment, but I'm glad it can be corrected. Thanks again Chunger, you've always been a good voice for answers and ideas.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:45 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Great, thanks a lot Chunger

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I guess this isn't covered by the wheel alignment, but I'm glad it can be corrected. Thanks again Chunger, you've always been a good voice for answers and ideas.
It should be correctly set with the alignment but you CAN do it yourself...

Turn the tie rod on one side one way, the tie rod on the the other side the other way (equal) until the steering is centered. If you don't adjust both sides equally, you'll mess up your toe adjustment. I would take it back to the shop if it hasn't been too long. They should have done it correctly the first time.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:32 PM

The beauty of this is

I have a lifetime wheel alignment deal. I bought it the first time I needed an alignment and have used it 4 times already. Paid $120 from a Goodyear Center, though I heard a lot of shops upped their prices.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:13 AM

Re: Re: Great, thanks a lot Chunger

Originally posted by Chunger

It should be correctly set with the alignment but you CAN do it yourself...

Turn the tie rod on one side one way, the tie rod on the the other side the other way (equal) until the steering is centered. If you don't adjust both sides equally, you'll mess up your toe adjustment. I would take it back to the shop if it hasn't been too long. They should have done it correctly the first time.
you can do that but if you ever done that before, you will be amazed about how much just a little turn can do to your toe. When I alligned my front end on the lasers, Even tightening the jam nut together was enough to knock it back out of spec again.