General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Problem with Rear Tire Scrubing Fender

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 11:23 AM
Ramius83

Problem with Rear Tire Scrubing Fender

Has anyone ever had the left rear fender scrub the tire? I bought the car used and I have found glass everywhere in the back. So obviously, it has been rear-ended or something. Could this be a problem related to a bent suspension component or something of that nature? BTW, I am lowered with the B&G/KYB AGX combo with 17x8 Borbets on 235/45.....anyone know?

Old 05-27-2002, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Change the springs (to something that doesn't sag)?
-Cyrus
Old 05-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Ramius83

Bump....

Old 05-27-2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
Bump....

Dont get ****ed off but thats the downfall with KYB AGX, with Konis you could easily adjusted the spring perch to the top notch and that would have kept the rear from sagging, but even on the lower perch the way I have it set up it still does not let the rear sag. If you have the cash get some rear Konis that should solve that problem. I have intrax so you know I use to have a saggy rear prior to me having these Konis.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:10 PM
MAC

Originally posted by Vyrus
Change the springs (to something that doesn't sag)?
-Cyrus
are B&G crappy springs? I don't know much about them.

Most springs should not "sag" to the point when the tires scrub, that would be like 3-4" sag! More likely is the strut blow (or close to being blown), thus not giving proper damping and rebound control, therefore the coils bounce wildly, causing scrubbing issues.

Erik, do you actually hear your tire rub when the coils compress while you drive?

Whats the glass deal? where did the glass come from? where did you find it? inside the rear bumper when you did the rear conversion?
Old 05-27-2002, 08:23 PM

Whats the glass deal? where did the glass come from? where did you find it? inside the rear bumper when you did the rear conversion?

He said he found glass in the trunk area giving him an impressin that the car was rear ended.

Mac was with the Sig?, almost stock, is it that bad Muth*fuc*ers just stealing yo **** out there? Thats messed up.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Ramius83

I have talked with other B&G owners and they have not had this problem. During the spring installation, I put the wording of B&G right side up, under the impression that it was indicating how the spring should go on. Was I wrong about this? Can the spring go in upside down and function improperly? Thanks for the help Jay. BTW Ming, YES I do hear the tire rubbing the fender, sounds like I am dragging my front spoiler, but it comes from that tire.....it is destroying my tire...

Old 05-27-2002, 09:26 PM

try setting your agx to a stiffer setting (or stiffest)
Old 05-28-2002, 05:41 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your problem isn't with the spring install or your rear shocks. I'm on B&G's with AGX's, I can load 4 people in my car and nothing hits, rubs, or bottoms out.

If you have ONE rear side rubbing the inside fender wall, your rear beam is not centered under the car. In other words, your car is probably not tracking correctly. Old Nova's used to do this all the time, they went down the road slightly sideways, that was called "The crab".

Park your car in a large paking lot. Look closely from behind and line up the rear wheels to the fronts. Do this on both the left and right side. Your going to find one side will look like it's offset in one direction, allowing you to see the front tire, and the other side will be covering the front tire up. That means your rear beam has been moved to one side.

You said you found glass inside this car once you purchased it. Thats the first clue it's been hit. Most likely it was broad sided somewhere in the rear and the wheel was struck hard shifting your beam over a bit.

Get the car to a very reliable front end shop and have them put it on a rack and track the car. A 4 wheel alignment will show the beam being off center. I dont know how, or if any adjustments can be made to slide it back into place. You may have bent frame or suspension components under your car.

B&G's and AGX's will not rub and they sure don't sag on my car either. (Automagic) There very tight and sporty.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:51 AM
Ramius83

Hmmm, ok, I will look into it....