General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP. Best car for around or > 30K?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:24 PM

I might be a max owner for a long time to come, but recent problems with it have me pissed off with the max, and to look for something new. Maybe then it will just start acting right, and I'll keep her Maybe it will phase out, and I'll Enjoy the Ride again. I hate Nissan service though.

So far I’ve tried and drove an is300 and CL type S. Both nice, but one is a little under powered compared to my slightly moded Max and the other too bland styling but nice power and great interior. I couldn’t pick between those two even

The Maxima is obviously a good vehicle if its giving me a hard time to find an alternative I guess? Looking for a swift, reliable, good handling 4 door. 0-60 less then 6.9 is good, and less then 30K would make it excellent.
Old 12-01-2000, 10:56 PM

I am sorry, I thought you were looking for a Suzuki Swift...

Kidding aside, look at Audi, a smaller A4 1.8T can be chipped, handles well & falls below that price range.

Old 12-01-2000, 11:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would get a,

2000 Volvo S70 T5 with a 5spd,which is good for a 0-60 in 6.1 and 1/4 14.8 and a company none as IPD http://www.ipdusa.com makes a chip and exaust system and many other go fast/handle goodies,that can very easyly propell the Volvo 0-60 in sub 6 seconds.A Volvo S70 T5 bases at $31,500 but since it is the end of the year I am sure you could sweet talk a dealer down to $29,999.In my opinion this car is far better then the IS300 and Acura you mentioned in reliabilaty,performance,safety and resale value but maybe not looks.
Old 12-01-2000, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would suggest a used BMW M3. Got speed, handling, looks, etc. Probably best bang for the buck.
Old 12-01-2000, 11:56 PM

2000 Volvo S70 ? I think I looked at a black one the other day, nice car! Are they all automatic though? That may be OK for me. Its a little high on price, maybe I can talk down. Where can I see specs? This car is a little bigger then a max right? And its a 5cyl?

1.8T from Audi? Is this car semi roomy in the back (Quick trip for a client, etc.)?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2000, 12:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can find specs on the S70

in the back of a Motor Trend or other car mags or http://www.edmund.com or http://www.carpoint.com but the best place is http://www.carsdirect.com just click on comparison and choose the cars you would like to compare and it will show you a in depth comparison on the cars selected and give you a great price,and in 98+ Turbo volvo's GLT{190HP} and T5{238HP} are both available in 5 Speed Manual and of course Auto trim.The AUDI is a bit smaller then the Max and Volvo and the Max are very close in size,and just a little food for thought for you, my family has bought Volvo's since the early 80's and they have been incredibly reliable and safe{I tested that out my self and the guy I got in the accident with died soon after and I walked away with out a scratch}1 of our Volvo's has over 300,000 miles and starts up better then my Max but is slow as $hit.Good Luck
Old 12-02-2000, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
I might be a max owner for a long time to come, but recent problems with it have me pissed off with the max, and to look for something new. Maybe then it will just start acting right, and I'll keep her Maybe it will phase out, and I'll Enjoy the Ride again. I hate Nissan service though.

So far I’ve tried and drove an is300 and CL type S. Both nice, but one is a little under powered compared to my slightly moded Max and the other too bland styling but nice power and great interior. I couldn’t pick between those two even

The Maxima is obviously a good vehicle if its giving me a hard time to find an alternative I guess? Looking for a swift, reliable, good handling 4 door. 0-60 less then 6.9 is good, and less then 30K would make it excellent.
I'm surprised you haven't considered an I30t from Infiniti. I took a test drive this summer, and ended up buying one. I was impressed at the difference between a Maxima dealership and the Infiniti dealership. The folks at Infiniti were/are more professional and knowledgeable. They treated me great. The I30t drives nice. The controls are in familiar places. It's a solid motor car. I recommend you at least test-drive the I30t before you decide. Have fun with it. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2000, 06:27 AM

Both of your choices are cars that are clearly superior to the Maxima. The only thing about the IS is the poor gas mileage and prop rod for hood. Acura definitely has a higher satisfaction level than Nissan--ie its an Infinity without the rattles. You really don't have to spend 30,000 to get a car that will rid you of the frustration which Nissan provides. Who knows, even Sante Fe or XG300 are worth a shot.
Old 12-02-2000, 08:24 AM

Wow, I didn't realize the T5's were that cheap... That's about the same price as the rest of the S70 models, wierd. Have you drive one of these? I always kinda like the looks of the T5, and the size, 5spd, and performance are right about my speed, but how does the thing handle? I've always seen volvos as kinda body rolling boats... Of course it does weigh in at less than the maxima, and peak torque is at 2400 RPM so it should be pretty peppy off the line too. Interesting... I'm waiting to see what the Z is like when Nissan releases it, but this might go on my list of rides to look at when my lease is up.

Hmmm... the reviews on carreview.com mention a lot of build quality and reliability issues...

[Edited by deathwish on 12-02-2000 at 10:31 AM]
Old 12-02-2000, 08:46 AM

1) Can't compare stock car to your modded Maxima. I don't think an IS300 is slower than automatic Maxima.
2) A S70 T5 will be more than $29k like some people try to tell you. It ended in '00, you have to buy used.
3) Audi 1.8T does sound decent, but do keep in mind everyone is trying to tell you they are fast *AFTER YOU CHIPPED IT*. Now to some dealers, there goes your warranty, are you willing to void that on a brand new car?
4) 0-60 under 6.9, very few choices. Most of the ~200hp 6cyl sedan can't do that with automatic. You need more hp or forced induction, when you have more cyl and hp, the price will go up. So you can't have it all.

Now my suggestion:
the IS300 does seem a good pkg for the price, and there will be lots of mods for it.
Or a not-fully loaded BMW 3 series for the same price.
Close call if it were me.
Old 12-02-2000, 03:11 PM

Hmm, lots to think about. About the i30T, looks nice, but just another Maxima in my book, and I already have one, even though its a 4th gen.

The IS300, I'm going to try another white one with the Torsen Rear end, white, and black leather. It is a good package for around 32K but I'm sure my Auto Maxima is faster then it. I understand that its not "fair" to compare as its stock, and my car is not.

About the Audi, I agree with Woodear, do not want to void my new car. Just non voiding add-ons such as cat backs and so on.
Old 12-02-2000, 03:52 PM
OG :)

maxima, (my) title says everything
Old 12-03-2000, 02:34 PM

what does your title say?
Old 12-03-2000, 02:38 PM
OG :)

was maxima obsessed

now "just" maxaholic