General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ticket worth fighting??...(kind of long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 03:18 PM

I just got a ticket for 50 in a 35. The officer said that he locked me in at 49, and then wrote me up for 50. Also, when asked to provide proof of insurance, I gave him an expired card (not aware that I did this at first), and when he told me, I offered him my proof of other vehicle insurance under the same policy (which was up to date), and he said "no thanks" and proceeded back to his car. He then came and gave me a citation, which he also wrote me up for "no proof of insurance". Two discrepencies that I think are valid for me to dispute. I didn't even look at the ticket until later on, so that's why I didn't say anything to him. What do you guys think? I appreciate any feedback, because this is only my second ticket ever, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2000, 03:29 PM

if you believe what he did was stupid then fight it. what are you losing by fighting it? nothing..in some cases if the cop doesnt show for the case, ur ticket can get dismissed. just go with ur proof of insurance, and if the judge isnt a ******** you'll be ok. the courts ive been to, will let you go if you werent beyond 20 miles over the limit or so. if i were you i'd fight it..
Old 12-02-2000, 06:27 PM

Do it, cops are bi+ches about mods. Anyways courts always fun becuase you get to see the cop waste his time.
Old 12-02-2000, 07:04 PM

I hear that...Fight it because the Cops just do their jobs for donuts. Ask any cop around here about donuts and they all say "We eat Bagels". I say "Bullsh!t".

Some cops just aren't very smart and you've got to learn that. The less they like your car "bright lights, exhaust, stereo, etc) the more incluned they will be to give you a ticket. Unless you get a cool cop that likes your car and will just let you go.
Old 12-02-2000, 08:14 PM

policemen hate maxima drivers or possiblely are jealous of them. I got 2 tickets this year.

John
Old 12-02-2000, 08:23 PM
Custommaxima.com

My advice

Look I have gotten 7 tickets in my days and have gotten pulled over nearly 20 times in the past two years. Cops see a modified car and they instantly think that this punk kid in the car is looking for trouble. Just be open and honest with the cop and he should be fair, but then again they can be a ****. If you fight it in court show up in court in a suit and tie and show that you are not some "punk kid". They will treat you like a normal adult. If not then they can just suck it.

haha you probably wonder why i got seven tickets then.. well lets just say that it was for some crazy stuff and my attorney is still fighting it.

Old 12-02-2000, 08:56 PM

Re: My advice

Not trying to sound mean or anything, but are you one of the "older" guys on this board? You always refer to it as "in my day". Just wondering?

If you're curious, I'm only 18, but I'm not some punk kid that's just looking for trouble (most of the tims anyways)
Old 12-02-2000, 09:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by selle
I just got a ticket for 50 in a 35. The officer said that he locked me in at 49, and then wrote me up for 50. Also, when asked to provide proof of insurance, I gave him an expired card (not aware that I did this at first), and when he told me, I offered him my proof of other vehicle insurance under the same policy (which was up to date), and he said "no thanks" and proceeded back to his car. He then came and gave me a citation, which he also wrote me up for "no proof of insurance". Two discrepencies that I think are valid for me to dispute. I didn't even look at the ticket until later on, so that's why I didn't say anything to him. What do you guys think? I appreciate any feedback, because this is only my second ticket ever, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The insurance thing kinda happened to me once also. Holiday season and cops set up checkpoints. Got caught in one and was driving my dad's Pathfinder at the time so I didn't know where he keeps the insurance. Found an expired one, but didn't check it so I gave it to the cop. He's says it's expired and I didn't know what to do. He starts writing up the ticket and I'm rooting around and I find the current one. He can't do anything. So I just send in the ticket, plead not guilty, and photocopy the current insurance card.

You'll win the insurance charge no problem. You had it with you, you just handed the cop the wrong one. The speeding... maybe you'll get away with it too. Fight them both, at least you'll get the "no proof of insurance" charge thrown out.
Old 12-02-2000, 09:01 PM

While I think it's pretty dumb to assume that cops are stupid and are out to get you or just eat donuts, there was a funny bit on The Awful Truth the other night. They found some guy who was not hired on a rural police force because he scored too high on an intelligence test. He scored a 31 and the range for cops was 21-24. Supposedly this test matches up your intelligence with how content you would be at certain jobs. An insurance salesman had a higher range than a cop... It was pretty funny though, they coached the guy by making him watch TV and eat junk food, then they had him retake the test while sharpening pencils, playing drums, etc, and he scored a 21. Then they got kicked out of city hall... Too funny...
Old 12-02-2000, 09:12 PM
Custommaxima.com

Re: Re: My advice

Originally posted by FAST4EN
Not trying to sound mean or anything, but are you one of the "older" guys on this board? You always refer to it as "in my day". Just wondering?

If you're curious, I'm only 18, but I'm not some punk kid that's just looking for trouble (most of the tims anyways)
haha no dude, i am only 22 i guess i meant that jokingly.

Old 12-03-2000, 10:26 AM

My legal advice

In some states you can ask for a jury trial after vinga ticket for speeding. I always recommend it since it puts pressure on the cop and prosecutor. They will be much more likely to plea bargain the ticket. you can also just call the prosecutor and offer to pay the exact fine for a "non-moving" violation. I usually tell them to write it up as an equipment violation. Success rate is about 80%
Old 12-03-2000, 11:27 AM

Re: My legal advice

Hey kratz74, you live in Omaha? Finally someone else that lives close to me? Like where? I'm "around" 180th & "Q" streets.