General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ice in the intake...crazy idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 10:20 AM

ice in the intake...crazy idea

ok im bored so cut me some slack......im going to the track tomorow and its supposed to be hot as **** so im going to do everything i can to make my car run its best. i was thinking.....i have the lower half of my airbox in place underneath my hybrid setup and it has a hose running underneath my car.....what if i put like a little ice pak (wrapped in plastci so water doesn't get out when it melts) underneath a little screen in the aribox to make the air colder when being sucked in the intake? would this work? or am i a worthless idiot......please don't flame me i dont think i can take it

Trevor
Old 05-31-2002, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hold an icepak in your right hand for a minute. Now, pass that icepak grazing your left hand very quickly. Does your left feel as cool as your right? The point is, the air will be rushing by so fast that the pak won't cool down that much, if at all. You would need alot of icepaks, but then we're talking restricted airflow now.

The icepak would be best used to cool down your intake manifold between runs. Reduce the heat soak.

DW
Old 05-31-2002, 11:26 AM

Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
what if i put like a little ice pak (wrapped in plastci so water doesn't get out when it melts)

Condensation
Old 05-31-2002, 11:33 AM

get a couple bags of ice, a cooler and call it a day

place on bag on your intake manifold and the other on the tb. don't worry about the intake pipe itself. that gets over ridden by the cold intake manifold

it works. did it on my ve
Old 05-31-2002, 11:54 AM

Ice pack - $1

Running low 14's in a Max - $1000

Sound your engine makes when it sucks up that ice pack - Priceless.

Old 05-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

use NOS to cool your intake charge
Old 05-31-2002, 12:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

If your intake manifold is already heat soaked, it will make no difference.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:28 PM
Producto Colombiano

Originally posted by ereet
Ice pack - $1

Running low 14's in a Max - $1000

Sound your engine makes when it sucks up that ice pack - Priceless.

Old 05-31-2002, 01:20 PM

Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

use dry ice...

Originally posted by Nine7Max

Condensation
Old 05-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by craaaazzy
use dry ice...

As the dry ice sublimes, it will pollute the intake charge with excess CO2. This would not be good...
Old 05-31-2002, 01:43 PM

the best heat transfer object in nature, is not nitrous, nor dry ice
its water
Old 05-31-2002, 02:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by Bryan H
the best heat transfer object in nature, is not nitrous, nor dry ice
its water
Thats why a coolant mixture with more water than anti-freeze cools better, and coolant mixture with less water cools less effectively, but wont freeze.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:20 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by mzmtg

As the dry ice sublimes, it will pollute the intake charge with excess CO2. This would not be good...
Pollute?

I would think the O2 would be beneficial to combustion.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Pollute?

I would think the O2 would be beneficial to combustion.
CO2 ... not O2...

Dry ice is solid CO2
Old 05-31-2002, 02:23 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally posted by NmexMAX

Thats why a coolant mixture with more water than anti-freeze cools better, and coolant mixture with less water cools less effectively, but wont freeze.
You're close, but technically that is the case because water has a very high heat capacity so it can absorb a very large amount of energy without rising in temperature too much (compared to other liquids).
Old 05-31-2002, 02:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by mzmtg

CO2 ... not O2...

Dry ice is solid CO2
Isn't that the same. The more oxygen the better.

Sort of like N20 providing MORE oxygen for combustion.

Don't flame me, I slept through Chemistry(damn 8:00am freshman course), but still got a B.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:27 PM

get a couple bags of ice, a cooler and call it a day

place on bag on your intake manifold and the other on the tb. don't worry about the intake pipe itself. that gets over ridden by the cold intake manifold

it works. did it on my ve
Wouldn't this possibly cause your intake plenum to become weaker due to the extreme temp change (i.e. cracks)?
Old 05-31-2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Mizeree_X

You're close, but technically that is the case because water has a very high heat capacity so it can absorb a very large amount of energy without rising in temperature too much (compared to other liquids).
I agree.

Also, in the above example the water-to-steam change is an endothermic reaction ABSORBS heat from the intake charge. This is the theory behind water injection.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Mmmmmm...lots of chemistry in this thread. I suck at chemistry, but don't tell my boss though, I currently work as an environmental engineer

Trevor, screw the ice at the intake or on the intake manifold. It's simply too hot to make a difference. It's currently 93 degrees outside (I've been working in it for the past 3 days). When it's this hot out, it doesn't make a difference if you can cool down your car because the air is already very hot and humid (big killer) plus you'll be sitting in line for much of the day getting ready to race which means your intake manifold and every connected to it will be insanely hot. I suggest you get to KCIR when the gates open (9am) and make as many passes as you can before the temps get into the upper 80s (~12pm). It's going to be well into the 90s this weekend. Don't expect any new bests. Not to poop on your fun tommorrow, but you'll probably be looking at running a new worst ET. Seeing that you were approximately .2-.3 slower in 70 degree weather, you'll be about .5 seconds and 2-3 mph slower in mid 80+ weather. Trust me, I know. This is why I'm not racing this summer. There's no point in punishing my car when I know there's no chance of a best ET.

I'll see you on Sunday.

Dave
Old 05-31-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Isn't that the same. The more oxygen the better.

Sort of like N20 providing MORE oxygen for combustion.

Don't flame me, I slept through Chemistry(damn 8:00am freshman course), but still got a B.
CO2 = Carbon Dioxide and carbon dioxide does not support combustion, or life for that matter.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by Anachronism

CO2 = Carbon Dioxide and carbon dioxide does not support combustion, or life for that matter.

u ish wrong sir...we (human) inhale oxygen...then we exhale carbon dioxide....with plants...they inhale carbon dioxide then exhale oxygen...or am i thinking of something else...o well...atleast i tried to sound smart....
Old 05-31-2002, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

u ish wrong sir...we (human) inhale oxygen...then we exhale carbon dioxide....with plants...they inhale carbon dioxide then exhale oxygen...or am i thinking of something else...o well...atleast i tried to sound smart....
Ok change that to human life, or any mamal that I know of.

In any case your car would not run if it took in only carbon dioxide and I imagine there would be some power loss if there was carbon dioxide mixed with the incoming air or more than is normally present.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:22 PM
Conecarver

ok im bored so cut me some slack......im going to the track tomorow and its supposed to be hot as **** so im going to do everything i can to make my car run its best. i was thinking.....i have the lower half of my airbox in place underneath my hybrid setup and it has a hose running underneath my car.....what if i put like a little ice pak (wrapped in plastci so water doesn't get out when it melts) underneath a little screen in the aribox to make the air colder when being sucked in the intake? would this work? or am i a worthless idiot......please don't flame me i dont think i can take it

Trevor
Not such a crazy idea if it could be done that way which I doubt. But maybe a set of near frozen screens or filter of some sort. That's my crazy dream. I'll update end of the year if anything happens.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:45 PM
2K1HoMax

Trevor
the only thing ive heard of ice workin in, is air-to-water intercoolers some of which are filled with ice cold water. and actually does a pretty good job of freezing the air goin through it, but thats in 600+hp cars that run the 1/4 mile. dont think anything like that is gonna work 4 u.

Old 05-31-2002, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Isn't that the same.
CO2 Puts out fires
Old 05-31-2002, 08:19 PM

I can't vouch for it but spraying the outside of the radiator with a mist of water might help. It does with intercoolers. Kinda like how sweating cools us of.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice in the intake...crazy idea

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE

CO2 Puts out fires
Actually, CO2 on a magnesium fire goes BOOOM! That's why the fire extinguishers say only to use them on certain fires. About the ice in the intake, if you were able to wrap the intake tube in ice, you'd cool the body of the intake, which would cool the air in turn, helping your performance. Just keep the ice ON the tube, not inside it, and you should see an improvement. Someone should make a tube that you can fill with water, put in the freezer the night before, then put it inline in the intake for an instant cooling effect. The only problems are installing it in a speedy fashion and the length of tube needed to really make a difference. A final thought on chemistry; we should inject phosphorous into the cylinders. Once it comes in contact with the petrol, KABOOM! You'd have to time it for just the right instant, however, so that it didn't ignite too early. (I don't recommend you try that last item for your runs tomorrow. It's based soley on logic)
Old 05-31-2002, 08:58 PM

There is no way that any amount of ice would last more then ten minutes in the engine bay
Old 05-31-2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE
There is no way that any amount of ice would last more then ten minutes in the engine bay
True..How about a plethora of intake wraps? Like the things they have in the hospital...little pads filled with frozen goo. They can be molded to the shape of the object they cool. Throw on a new one after each run. Hmm..I'm gonna solve this thing..
Old 05-31-2002, 09:14 PM

It would depend. I suppose if you used several layers and changed them every run you have a good chance. I however doubt that it would have any great effect on the air temp other than keeping it from getting hotter, although that would happen as soon as it entered the TB.

BTW co2 can be used in the nitrous style intercoolers but that is a closed system that will not release the gas into the intake
Old 05-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Banned

Ice is for beer
Old 05-31-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Mmmmmm...lots of chemistry in this thread. I suck at chemistry, but don't tell my boss though, I currently work as an environmental engineer

Trevor, screw the ice at the intake or on the intake manifold. It's simply too hot to make a difference. It's currently 93 degrees outside (I've been working in it for the past 3 days). When it's this hot out, it doesn't make a difference if you can cool down your car because the air is already very hot and humid (big killer) plus you'll be sitting in line for much of the day getting ready to race which means your intake manifold and every connected to it will be insanely hot. I suggest you get to KCIR when the gates open (9am) and make as many passes as you can before the temps get into the upper 80s (~12pm). It's going to be well into the 90s this weekend. Don't expect any new bests. Not to poop on your fun tommorrow, but you'll probably be looking at running a new worst ET. Seeing that you were approximately .2-.3 slower in 70 degree weather, you'll be about .5 seconds and 2-3 mph slower in mid 80+ weather. Trust me, I know. This is why I'm not racing this summer. There's no point in punishing my car when I know there's no chance of a best ET.

I'll see you on Sunday.

Dave
hmmm ice won't help eh? that sucks.... but if im running bad because its hot then all the civics will hopefully do the same in which case i will still beat someone, right? hehe its all for fun anyway. i am going early though, i plan on being there at 8:45 ( to borrow a helmet because im poor ) anyways, see ya sunday!

Trevor
Old 06-01-2002, 02:04 AM

ya know, speaking of air temps, i thought id say this
i have gotten mybest times ever out of any of my cars in the dead heat of summer, here in kc and in dallas. over 100 degrees on the track.

thought id share this.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:18 AM

crazy idea but what about rigging the washer nozzle squirters so that they spray the radiator? maybe fill the resovoir with ice water. dont think it will help performance but may help things cool down after hard runs at the track
Old 06-01-2002, 01:15 PM

Last night as I fell asleep, I had the craziest idea. Consider this: What do you do when the inside of the car is too hot? Turn on the a/c! What does your engine want to run better? Cold air! So, logically, we route the a/c into the intake, giving us cool air in any weather! Problem #1: Probably wouldn't supply enough air, but it would be a cooling supplement. Problem #2: Running the a/c would probably rob more power than it supplies. Too bad...it'd be an easy fix on a hot day if it worked....
Old 06-01-2002, 01:21 PM

well im back from the track, i didn't do very well all i ran were 15.1s and several 15.2s but i did ice the intake and tb down between runs for 20 minutes or so. i think i would have done better but my 60fts were killing me (best of 2.3--)
Old 06-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

i have gotten mybest times ever out of any of my cars in the dead heat of summer, here in kc and in dallas. over 100 degrees on the track.

thought id share this.
I'm always much quicker in cold dense air compared to thick, hot, and humid air. Hot and humid air doesn't have as much oxygen. My intake manifold is flat out boiling on 80+ degree days at the track.

Dave
Old 06-01-2002, 04:03 PM

mine was too, but i also pulled the corner lens, headlight and grill out to get a more solid rish of air.

maybe it was just me driving harder because i was melting in the car
who knows

also. when i was at the staging lights themselves the car was just barely over cold
maybe a 1/8th of an inch
that might have had something to do with it
Old 06-01-2002, 04:27 PM
STFU n00b!

Bryan, check your PMs.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:42 PM

thought id share this.
Maybe it was the traction because the concrete is often hotter than the air temp. Tires were nice and stickey maybe........

Quick Reply: ice in the intake...crazy idea